iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hives

Started by Autocar, June 08, 2012, 08:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Took a load of logs into the sawmill late yesturday afternoon,the wind was whipping around and there was two loaders racing around with logs so there was a bit of dust. It stared as I was unloading th logs with the prentice, between my fingers started to itch. Didn't think to much about it and went about my job, on the way home my arm pits started to itch. By the time I ran fifty mles my head feet and every crease on my body was itching. I got home and cleaned up and around my waist on my back,legs there was welts driving me crazy. I sleep about two hours last night by noon today I couldn't take it any longer my doctor was out of town so I went to the hospital. I ended up getting three shots two in my bottom end and one in my arm with a pill prescrition also. Almost eight hours later my hands are the only thing that itches. Any body ever have something like this ? Kind ot got me worried sure hope Iam not getting allergic to saw dust. How long did it last also,thanks Bill
Bill

doctorb

I certainly can not tell you what you contacted to give you that reaction, but it may not be sawdust.  You would also have had (most likely) a pulmonary reaction with sawdust as you must have breathed in some of this as well.  It obviously is something that's pretty small in size, as it got through your clothes to moist, sweaty, but covered, areas.  If you continue to have outbreaks around log cutting /sawing, you may be correct about the sawdust.  See an allergist if this persists.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

clww

Fifty miles is a lot of running! :D
Hope you're feeling better.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ellmoe

During final exam week while I was attending the U. Of Fla. I woke with the same symptoms. I went to the bathroom and looked into the mirror. I was covered with lumps over my body. I woke my roomate to ask if he had put "itching powder" or something similar in my bed. He had not done so. Worried, I called  the University's health clinic. A very helpful nurse listened to my explaination and description. She explained that it was probably hives brought on by "nerves" and that it would go away. During our conversation the itching began to lessen and I was able to get back to sleep. I awoke the next morning with no symtoms and have never had a recurrence. I didn't think that I was apprehensive dealing with my exams, but I guess I must have been. I have to believe that I wasn't the first such phone call the nurse had received during finals week!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Autocar

I got up this morning and my tounge was swelled a little, checked the drug reaction on the web and said it would happen to some people and should contact the doctor. I took my morning pill and went to work cutting trees it wasn't a half a hour and all the sweating my tongue was fine so Iam not to worried about it as much. Seems like everything is normal at leat I sure hope so. Ellmoe as far as wired up goes Iam wired 90 percent of the time  ;D I guess if I would leave the tag trailer at home instead of loading it up also I would save my nerves the P.U.C.O. is like grasshoppers up here  :D. Have a good weekend everyone !
Bill

Autocar

I know sooner got up from the computer last night when I made the last post and I started itching again. By eleven thirty I was about covered from my butt to my shoulders. Went back to hospital and they gave me another shot. All was well till about six tonight and it starting all over Iam going to try and stick it out and see if it will quit on its own tonight   ::).
Bill

Bill Gaiche

I have had them a few times. Still every once in a while they flare up a little. I take a Benedryl pill and it helps. Take it as soon as you feel the itch begin. This helps me. Keep a couple with you and see if it might help you. bg

Autocar

By three in the morning on Monday I couldn't take it anymore and went back to the E.R. The same doctor was working that shift from the night before and asked me they were going to give me a parking space in the parking lot with my name on it . She gave me a more powerful shot and I went home. Here it is Tuesday afternoon and so far I had a good nights sleep last night and things have been fine today. Also I have a few pills I take at lunch time. One thing about hives if the army invented a dirty bomb that would give everyone the hives and tell them to throw down there guns for the cure I bet they would fold pretty quick   :D
Bill

Black_Bear

Your hives sound similar to mine. Started about 4 years ago, got them mostly on the upper leg, torso and in the armpits, usually about 2am, but they would come on during the day also. Every now and then my hands and feet would swell up and get itchy. Never have been allergic to anything, went to an allergist, he couldn't tell me what was causing them and said the tests probably wouldn't reveal anything. I used to take Benadryl when they flared up, but the allergist turned me on to Zyrtec, or the generic version of Zyrtec. Now I take one generic Zyrtec every day and haven't had a flare up in over a year.

Thank You Sponsors!