People will sell anything

Started by Corley5, February 28, 2004, 07:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LSUNo1

Someone will be "knotty" enough to buy it....thats bad. :(

Jeff

Here is one of my favorite web sites. It lists crazy auctions like that.

http://www.whowouldbuythat.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mark M

There is a lady up here that sell tumbleweeds on eBay and she ships them all over the world.

I was going to go out and catch one for Jeff last year but they were just too fast for me. ;)

SwampDonkey

Ok, who wants to buy some red alder burls?  :D ;D :D

http://www.klondikekonsulting.com/images/redalderburl.jpg

Sorry it was too distorted and blurred at 15 k guys (~137 kb).

I'm sure I'll get some comments about their peculiar appearance  :D
I picked these burls off a red alder which was covered in them. We were cruising juvenile stands on South Morsby Island in the Queen Charlottes for the MOF. The alders where the size of mature white birch here in the east and we had to measure them too.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

FeltzE

I'm sure my wife wood encourage me knott to buy any knotts les she personally give me a knew knott or two on my knoggin.... ;D

Percy

Im thinkin they were layin under the conveyor for a reason,knot usable, ;D,knot good for nothin ;D I need to get a life.......Hey, Ill flood the market with knots and really upset this guy  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

CHARLIE

Actually, I wouldn't mind having that box of knots. I wouldn't pay much for them especially if I had to pay shipping also. But, I can see a lot of stuff I could turn with them.  Just for the heck of it, count how many pieces are in that box and I could turn each one into something (bottle stopper for example) that would sell for between $8 and $10 each.  So y'all see knots and I see MONEY!!! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Stan

I see the optional insurance sells for $1.30, I'm wonderin' how you'd know they were damaged, and if the insurance company would pay off.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Tom

Here is that Red Elder Burl at 12kb and 300pixels.  Another way to make them bigger is to take a pictire of each.  I had them at 6kb and they looked good so two pictures could have been stored for under 15k.  :)

SwampDonkey

Tom:

I tried to get them smaller in ram size in Photoshop 7.01 with jpeg and I had to resize the scale down to 50 pixels wide in order to get below 15 kb. Then you couldn't make out the picture with much clarity at all. So I gave up and uploaded the pic to my site. At 300 pixels wide I couldn't get it anywhere near 15 kb. I can't figure that one out.

Red Alder   btw ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

Not a lot of knots in that box.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ianab

Hi Swamp
 When you save a .jpg file there should be a setting for how much compression to use. So resize it down to about 300 pixels then experiment with different amount of compression till you get under 15k. To much compression and it goes all fuzzy :-/

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Ianab:

Yeah I know about compression in jpeg. I even tried to go with a level of 3 which is low quality and at 300 pixels it was still well over 15 kb in size. Maybe its in Photoshop itself, some setting could be bloating the file size. I'm going to try Fireworks now and see if it does the trick instead.

SwampDonkey

Ok:

I just used Macromedia Fireworks to scale the image to 270 pixels wide, applied the sharpen filter, and saved it at 68% compression yielding 13.5 kb.

Just added one more reason why I like Macromedia over Adobe products. When I designed my website I used Dreamweaver MX 2004 over Golive 6.0 because it was more stable and I had greater control over my web page building. Golive 6.0 is a nightmare and complicated, and don't forget, very buggy.

cheers

Tom

Sometimes it pays to use what works rather than fight with what you have.  In this case, the Demo of XAT is free.  there are two programs and each will work. Jeff uses JPG optimizer and I use Image optimizer.   XAT only asks for money if you need their full option software.  The Demo package does everything required to get pictures on the forum.  It's a good product. :)

SwampDonkey

:D ;D

Well we know what works now. hehehe :)

So what about them burls? Anyone?  ;D :D ;D

shopteacher

Tom, I tried using one of them meat squeezers, ya know where you throw a ball of ground meat and press it into a patty, pictures came out all fuzzy and didn't taste good neither.  I learned about XAT from you guys and like it real well.  I use photoshop for most pictures I want to print as I find it has a lot more options, but for posting to the forum or the web XAt works great.  Something I learned offa Jeff was how to capture what was on the screen and post it. That's how I got those drawings out of AlphaCam onto the forum. They get a little blurry, but till something better comes along it'll do.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

So............... how do you capture a screen and post it ??? ??? ???

SwampDonkey

Furby:

I use a screen capture utility 'Screenshot Utility 1.0', its shareware. But, you have a trial period.

Rocky_J

QuoteSo............... how do you capture a screen and post it ??? ??? ???
Hit the 'print screen' key (that copies your screen image), then open a program such as Paint and click Edit and then Paste (or type 'Ctrl V'). Then you can crop or shrink the image if you like. Then click 'save as' instead of 'save', and save it as a .JPG image.

I'm not too familiar with other downloaded image manipulating programs as I can do most anything I need to do with Paint. If I need to manipulate a .GIF image I go to a website called GIFWorks.

SwampDonkey

Rocky and Teach:

Thanks for the tip on screen capturing, and its free :D

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!