iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little red oak.

Started by customsawyer, May 22, 2012, 07:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I did a Poplar like that one time and it opened up like a banana peel.

I hates Sweetgum.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Those cants are already trying to walk off the mill   :).

If sweetgum were to marry sweetgum, there would always be a lot of tension  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

They put 30 tons of weight on them to hold them down till the bolts go through. All I know is when you can cut sweet gum, bolt it together and then sell for more than a dollar a BF I say do it. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

I need to bolt my sweetgum  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CalebL

You guys ever seen a sweetgum that didn't have spiraled grain?  I cut one about a week ago for a guy and it there was no doubt it was a sweet gum but it wasn't spiraled.  Sorry didn't take pics. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

WDH

In my experience, not all the boards warp, even with spiral grain.  However, the first boards flatsawn off the cant on each face almost always twist and warp almost to the point that they are unusable. 

Trees are like people.  There are always a few weird ones.

customsawyer

CalebL sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Yes I have cut lots of sweet gum that didn't have the spiral grain. I can't reply on how it dried as they take the lumber from me the next day and make pallet boards out of it. As for the timbers I don't think the big cranes and excavators mind a little bow. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pigman

Quote from: WDH on May 25, 2012, 08:57:29 PM

Trees are like people.  There are always a few weird ones.
I resemble that remark. :( ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Not to call any names.......Tree names that is  :).

ellmoe

Quote from: WDH on May 29, 2012, 09:12:20 PM
Not to call any names.......Tree names that is  :).

If you called someone a "sweetgum" smiley_furious3, would that send you to the woodshed?
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

fishpharmer

Good question ellmoe, may depend if they have twisted grain. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

I thought most of us was a little twisted. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Twisted, warped, and doty?  That is a real combination, for sure  :D.

scsmith42

I can take twisted, warped and doty FF members, just not crooked....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

"I always thought that he had a lot of sweep".

:D

Thank You Sponsors!