iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little red oak.

Started by customsawyer, May 22, 2012, 07:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Here is a little red oak for you guys. It is 42" on the big end and a hair over 30" dia. on the little end.

I won't begin to tell you how long it took to saw this thing.  These biguns are a little difficult to turn.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

moandrich

How long is that? It looks like a monster.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

LOGDOG

What did you mill it into? That is a beast ....

WDH

Whoa!!  That is incredible.  My hat is off to you, Sir, Sawyer of Huge Logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

That log has gotta be 6 tons. Paul Bunyan might have to pull up a stump and think how turn that one. :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

It is actually a little less than 5 tons. I cut 4/4 grade off the sides to make a 12X12X40'. It wasn't as bad as some I have done but it did take a little better than a hour to cut.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

How long are the longest side boards and do you trim them to a specific length?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jemclimber

That must be quite a job just getting it to the mill.  It must take some Heavy equipment.
lt15

Norm

clww

Great piece of a tree you have there! Great work 8)
I look forward to seeing pictures of a 12X12X40' beam, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

terrifictimbersllc

I was edging 20 ft boards today.  Hate to think of edging the ones from that log. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

JVK

Do you have the chain turner on the 24' ext as well? If you do, will both turners roll that log or do you have to tractor assist sometimes?

Lud

If you gotta big log, you gotta have "John Wayne sized equipment" ! 8)

Jake knows "John Wayne sized equipment" . ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

250quality

I've got a bush full of logs just like that. No market here for them so most go to firewood.

customsawyer

This one was a little bigger but still made me tired.

I had a bunch of big boards come off of this one that was as pretty a board as you have seen. 

250quality you are making me cry thinking about burning these logs.

JVK I have the claw type turner on the ext. plus the other hyd. that would come on a LT40 except the loader. You will need every thing that you have to work with to turn these biguns.

WDH I measure the boards as I am cutting so that the man running the boards to the edger can cut them to different lengths before go to the edger. Depending on the best lumber from the log but on a 40' log I try to get 2 16' boards and one 8' board. If the length is different then go for other boards.
If you go to my website you can watch a little video of me cutting a 36' log. Watch for the hand signals that I give to the man on the edger so that he can just feed the edger and not have to take the time to measure anything. This helps him get the boards out of my way so I can bring him another.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

I will have to get a pic of a sweet gum for MM.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

If it is a really big one, it might cause nightmares  :).

Magicman

Perish the thought.  But just think, If you had them all, I would be free of them forever.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Just checked out your video.  Great job with the LT70 and great music from Merle!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

customsawyer

Just for the record I don't always drink my beer in a tavern. I have been known to open one or two at the house. :D
Danny I did a big sweet gum once and got 4 12X12X 40' out of it if you remember. I don't think MM liked that one any more than the rest of them.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

I think that I will have to go have a beer after seeing that  :D.  Nightmares for MM for sure  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!