iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaking Bar Oil/Husqvarna

Started by RCrosby, May 22, 2012, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCrosby

I have a Husqvarna 350 chainsaw, 4 years old but only run about 10 hours. (Maximum)

It's started leaking bar oil (after sitting for several months I found several ounces in the bottom of the carry case.

Since it's out of warranty I'm wondering if I just take it to a shop or if this might be a relatively easy project for a mechanically inclined old graybeard with little experience working on saws, but success with replacing the rear axle wheel bearing on my lawn tractor. (Just to give you an idea.)

One friend suggested it was "typical" and not to worry.  It did sit for 6 months.

Problem or no problem??

Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Again. Rob

overtime

dont  worry about it it is typical of husqvarna all of my 5 saws leak

Ron Scott

Are you sure that you are putting the oil tank cap on tight? With only 10 hours on the saw, the cap might not be sealing in well yet.

That was the problem with my 350 when it leaked in the case.
~Ron

RCrosby

Thanks guys.  I'll clean it up, make sure the cap is tight, and see how it goes.  It did sit for 6 months.

lumberjack48

I haven't seen a saw that didn't leak
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

RCrosby

lumberjack,
Thanks for taking the time to write.  I sure appreciate it.  Hope things are well with you and your family.
Rob

HolmenTree

Alot of the bar oil from the bar/chain will run down the bar groove and drip on the level surface the saw is sitting on.
Years ago Stihl inserted a teflon ramp between the rails inside some of their bar's grooves just behind the oil hole to help eliminate the dripping problem.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!