iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used skidder tires?

Started by logman81, May 21, 2012, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Any one know of a place that might have some used skidder tires? I finally punched a hole in the worst of the four tires today on my first job with the new skidder. :o I was pulling a hitch and boom the tire got a hole in it from a stump. >:( Just figure's though it was the last hitch that I had to pull of the tree length before I start cutting the pine. But I maned up and kept pulling the hitch to the landing flat tire and all. :D The tire size is 23.1x26. I know about nash and they may have one but it is a five hour drive one way for me and was thinking that their might be a closer place? I have searched CL but no luck there.
Precision Firewood & Logging

barbender

I've seen guys around here put a chunk of tire in the hole to shore it up, as long as you can get the tube to hold air. I can't help on the used tires.
Too many irons in the fire

grassfed

The only place that I know is in the same town as Nash called Northern Tire. They do major repairs there as well.
Mike

logman81

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on calling northern tire but it is very far from me about 5 hour trip one way. :o Got another question is it better to replace with two new tires or try to fined one with the same amount of tread as the other. I was told that it would mess with the gear ratio if I have one old and one new beacause of the differnt tread depts ???

Tramp Bushler

5 hours isn't bad at all . If you can find some closer great . . How far are you from Penn. ? Seems there is quite a bit of logging there . For me the closest place is Fairbanks , which is 5 hrs 1 way . There may be a place in Anchorage , but I don't know where . I will need to retire my skidder and I'm not really looking fwd to spending a months profit just on tires .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

chep

search vermont craigslist. farm and garden. I was just browsing (cmon its pouring out) and they were almost at the top o the list. look whipped but hey. they are the right size

oh, and cut your stumps lower...

lumberjack48

We used to bolt a patch in, a piece of an old skidder tire, that was years ago. We didn't have the money for a tire so we did what we could, theres always a way.
You have to make sure to tell the help to cut all small stuff, 1, 2, 3" low and not at an angle.
If you happen to run in to a used one, make sure to run your hand in side of it looking for steel barbs from a broken side wall. if there is any the tire is worthless.

Running 30 lbs of air cuts tire puncher down to just about 0.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

Lumberkjack what do you mean ya didn't have the money  :D come to think about it I don't have any eather  ;D
Bill

Tramp Bushler

I'de liike to find rims that took 14.00-24 tires for my TJ . Those loader/ grader tires as common as dirt around here .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

David-L

Check out Petes Tire barns , They are in Mass and RI. They can section and repair most tractor and skidder tires and do it in a reasonable time. I Just had a patch and tube done on some Forestry Specials with 30% left and the cost was 200 bucks VS a new Special at $1200 x 2. I use the Petes in Gardner, Mass.
                                  Caveman
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

I did see those tires in vermont but their badly worn and the price :o. I also contacted petes tire barn and they don't have any used ones and the tire isn't worth trying to repair it looks like a racing slick! :D The tire on the other side has about 60% tread so I'm trying to find one that has about the same amount of tread to keep the gear ratio the same. All the stumps that we leave are close and flat to the ground. The stump that punchered the tire was left by the previous guy who had no clue what he was doing. Lumberjack48 thanks for the tip on the tires I'll keep that in mined. ;)

logman81

Got a best price so far of $2245 from petes tire barn for 10 ply firestones. I may go with them?

lumberjack48

logman81 if your tire isn't rotten, and the puncher is only 2, 3"s you can get a boot for it. I put many boots in, they come in 6, 8,10, 12 ply boot, 6x6, 8x8, ect sizes, they glue in. My father had tires on his skidder with chunks out of them, you could see the cords, beyond smooth. He ran those tires for yrs like that.

We did hour own tire repair, once you learn all the tricks, there easy to fix.

If you buy new ones, i would only get the 16 ply tire, i learned this over the yrs of trial an err.

I personally wouldn't waist my money on a 10 ply tire, there tractor tires, not skidder tires. I would get the 14 ply , i went an looked its only $100. more for the 16 ply, then you have a tire that will last.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

grassfed

I think that I saw those Vermont Craig's list skidder tires...man I thought that that guy was crazy for asking that much I would charge him to haul them away  :D
Mike

Corley5

I had a bead break on the inside of one of the rear tires on my forwarder.  They're 18.4X26 Firestone Forestry Specials in really good shape but the break is unrepairable.  A new Firestone would cost me 1,500.00 bucks and wouldn't be here until next Wednesday.  I made some more calls and have a 16 ply BKT coming tomorrow for 865.00.  It's Chinese made but for half price and next day shipping I can't afford not to buy it.  I thought about a used tire but a forwarder needs good tires especially on the back and the time I spent searching for one and then having it shipped or retrieving it myself plus a new tube and mounting and the real possibility that it too would fail shortly.  I decided to go new.  I've lost too much production as it is.  I was going to go downstate and get the Firestone to have it sooner if I hadn't found the BKT.  I've got too much wood on the ground in the woods with warm weather to be down for a week and I've got more firewood orders than I've got hardwood pulp on the landing to process.  You might check on the availability of BKTs in your area.  Last summer I had a tire issue that was caused by a broken ply in the sidewall of one the machines front tires.  There was one wire sticking out inside the tire.  A new tube would last exactly one week.  The shop found it finally and put a big patch over the spot after clipping off the wire.  Problem solved.  I wouldn't trust that tire on the back of machine. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lumberjack48

I bought 2 tires from a guy $300. each, they looked all most new. We put em on the skidder, the next day they were flat. So we took-em off and broke-em down, both tires had been run low on air, the steel belts were broke in the side walls. I called the guy, he wouldn't take-em back, my good deal went south.
  I made some calls grasping at straws, a guy told me i could get full tire liners. The liners cost about $180. each, what does a guy do, were out $600. now, do you take the chance and spend another $360. I got the liners, heavy duty tubes, put back together, then cross your fingers, hope for the best, all that stuff. I can't remember how long i ran the tires, the liners worked. Heres a site a guy can get-em at.
It well be interesting to see how the China tires hold up.

http://www.gemplers.com/tire-reliners?cid=25GLTRS&mkwid=sULOfaIzQ&pcrid=11091611185&gclid=CLz4y6Kml7ACFeUBQAodWycR1g

logman81

Ok found a local guy with a firestone with about 20%+/- tread so I'm going to go take a look this morning. It's only an hour away so what the heck. :D What a tire in good shape with that amount of tread worth?

lumberjack48

logman81 bring a good flashlight, to check in side for any punchers, if any steel wire sticking out. A 10 ply tire $150. to $250., 16 ply $250. to $400., all depends on how the tire looks. If its raged looking beat on tire or just a good looking used tire.

logman81

Well the tire was a bust had a puncher in it just like mine :( The search continues ::)

lumberjack48

Theres a Forestry Special, 14 ply on faby, they want $3500.00 for 1 tire, their crazy.

The BKT tire with 16 ply, is called a farm tire  :o

Where is the hole in your tire ? Is it a tear or puncher ? Does the tire feel soft ?

I've had to go out to the tire pile and pick out the best of our throw aways to get back in the woods.

I sure hope a tire or 2 show up, there out there

logman81

Thats crazy money! Is it made out of gold? :D They are having promlems with the BKT 23.1x26 tires something about the beads on the tires so they are not selling that size tire. :( The problem is in the middle of the tire it's about a 6 to 8'' tear and the tire is so far gone i'ts not worth trying to fix. Plus it is bald and is doing more harm than good because it is off setting the gear ratio being that the other tire is at about 85%. I was told I need a matching set so I don't bust a rear end. I wish I had a spare but I don't. May have to just buy two new Firestones. :o

Woodhauler

Logman, in my 40 years in the woods,if someone takes off a tire its for a reason! Most likely junk! You may luck out but if i was you and had the jingle i would get 2 new ones! They will last as long as you! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

lumberjack48

If the tires are off to much its hard on the spider gears, and the differential is probably locking an unlocking.  All the tires have to be basically the same size, [ example ] if you put new ones on the back and the front are less than half tread, this will bind up the transfer case. Different size tires front to back or back to front is really hard on the transfer case.

If you do get two, you should get a wheel, so that you have a spare.

When the wife got tired of tire trouble, she took many tires apart with my brother, she put 4 new 16 ply Forestry Specials on. She ran it 4 yrs before we sold it, not one flat tire, they still looked all most new.
I should have bought all new yrs before, every time i thought about it i had money with drawls. I would have been money ahead, and a lot less drama.

I've seen guys buy a machine for the tires, then turn around an sell it, they payed little to nothing for the tires.

Maybe run an ad tires wanted, there out there, its just finding-em, might get lucky.
New is always the best way to go

Corley5

The 16 ply BKT tire I was given a price on turned out to be an industrial tire meant for loaders, backhoes, graders etc.  I've got a brand new 18.4X26 Firestone Forestry Special CRC with a new natural rubber tube mounted on the rim ready to go back on the forwarder.  Only set me back $1,650.00 not including lost production, or the time and fuel running to the tire shops.  On my way to pick it up yesterday I had a tire blow out on the pickup about four miles from home.  The spare was leaning against the woodshed, the hydraulic bottle jack was under the forwarder, I didn't have a 13/16" socket to take off a trailer tire to put on the truck and there was hardly any cell signal.  I discovered I was lacking the socket after I dug out the stock screw bottle jack from under the back seat.  I was able to walk up a hill and by jumping up and down on one foot I was able to get my location across to my almost deaf neighbor after 7 dropped broken up calls.  He came and rescued me and helped me get back on the road.  I've got two new tires on order for the truck now and didn't get the skidder tire until this morning.  I've had a crew member out with a bad back the last couple days and he missed Monday because of a child custody court date.  I planned on him running the firewood machine using up the last of the 100" until we got the tire back to keep some cash flowing.  Ran way into the red this week  :-\  Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it  :-\ ::) :-\  But I guess I'll keep on logging  ;) ;D  I'm going to play in my vineyard this weekend.  No woods for me until Tuesday :) 
  The place I got the tire had a used one but it had a large vulcanized patch on the sidewall.  It may have been alright for a cable machine but someone replaced it for reason.  He showed it to me but I didn't even ask a price.     
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

I May have found a tire it's in NC they want 750 plus shipping. The tire has about 40% remaining, I offered them 500 will see what happens. hope I didn't offer to much for it. :D

Thank You Sponsors!