iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how long to cut a job

Started by timberjack97, June 03, 2012, 08:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack97

we are starting  a new job tommrow its  85  acres  there is  265 000 board feet on it  with avg. diameter of 17 inches and theres 85 loads of pulp wood based on a 25 ton load we are cuting this job with a 425 timbco with a bar saw head  on it and  1 skidder  how many loads a day  do you think we should be able to get out? and how long should it take to cut the  whole job?

woodmills1

dude  you need to learn to think

its not the job or the machine

its the trees and how it gets done

maybe do some math

maybe call me
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

snowstorm

i have been waiting for this.........its about time

timberjack97

what do you mean snow storm?

OntarioAl

Timberjack97
You need to calculate  the minimum number of loads per day (better per week there is a reason Swamp Loggers target 100 loads per week) that meets the cash flow requirements of your operation.
Then layout your operation, roads and landing location(s) to make best use of the timber and topography to maximize the capacities of the machines you are using.
The goal is simple exceed your minimum requirements and you will be sucessful.
I hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

Woodhauler

Quote from: timberjack97 on June 03, 2012, 08:56:56 PM
Seems like you jumped into this logging business without a clue is what he means! You don't know what to pay, how to pay ,how long it should take to cut a load or anything! Seems like you should have done your homework before you try to make your fortune in the woods. Guys like you come and go all the time, wish you luck cause you are going to need it.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Bobus2003

How we run, 85 loads would take me 3-4 weeks.. I put up 20 loads a week, 5 loads a day takin my time, I can get out 8-9 loads a day if i wanna

Jamie_C

Quote from: Woodhauler on June 03, 2012, 10:24:31 PM
Quote from: timberjack97 on June 03, 2012, 08:56:56 PM
Seems like you jumped into this logging business without a clue is what he means! You don't know what to pay, how to pay ,how long it should take to cut a load or anything! Seems like you should have done your homework before you try to make your fortune in the woods. Guys like you come and go all the time, wish you luck cause you are going to need it.

lumberjack48

If you draw up a good battle plan, everybody on the same page, figure your best method, if its not working change it so it is. The Timco has to sort the wood, big wood, small wood, and keep piles so skidder can pull-em, hook-en-book. The trucks have to be there, if you have to start making landings it well really slow you down. If all went well, which it usually doesn't, 30 to 35 days, thats if your not banging heads.

My goal was to pull as much as i could everyday, it might be raining the next.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

IMOWOOD

With the way the weather is nowadays i figure an additional week on per 30 days.  So if i think the job will take me 4 weeks to finish i add one whole week to account for weather and break downs.  lately the weather had been giving us hell here i wanted to be done with the job Im on the second week of june and now its looking like july at the soonest. 

seeing that you have multiple pieces of equipment it would be smart to figure out your potential production if one piece is down.  for example your timbco goes down does it pay to have a guy hand cut while repaires are being made or to have all hands on deck to fix the issue. 

lumberjack48

I now what you mean, it seamed like if i had it all figured out and timed it by 3, it was close.  ::)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ron Scott

Yes, each job needs a site specific operating plan for the specific area. This is where knowledge, skills, and experience comes in.

There are many varibles to harvesting a forest area such as weather and season of the year, terms of the landowner's contract, timber types and density of the stand, BMP's required, soil conditions, type of equipment being used, number and skill of operators, skidding distances, trucking distances to the mill, break downs, Murphy's Law etc.

I've yet to have a job where the logger keeps on their intended schedule even under the best of operating plans. Failure to plan is planning for failure. ;) 
~Ron

Tramp Bushler

I think TJ is doing great.  He's asking questions.  hopefully he will do good.  He's got the right iron for the wood he's in it seems

The?  s got to be asked.  might as well ask people with experience. 
someone doesn't like the question,  they don't have to reply.   ::)
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Bobus2003

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on June 04, 2012, 11:01:24 PM
I think TJ is doing great.  He's asking questions.  hopefully he will do good.  He's got the right iron for the wood he's in it seems

The?  s got to be asked.  might as well ask people with experience. 
someone doesn't like the question,  they don't have to reply.   ::)

True words.. And many that never asked the questions maybe didn't make it, or maybe they did.. But their is no dumb questions

SwampDonkey

Always better to be helpful than it is to be stand-offish and negative to fellow forum members. Sometimes it seems we forget where we're at. ;) If one wants to hold back that's fine. But if someone thinks it's a trade secret to run a logging business, then sorry the secret has been out for a long time. Some guys just have not found it yet. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

I may not be a logger but i stayed at a holiday inn last nite ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

grassfed

Just based on what you said and assuming normal road layout, operator proficiency, mechanical reliability and any other factors that have already been discussed, it seems to me that the time for this job will be based on the "smallest bottleneck" my guess would be that is your time to skid 85 loads with one skidder.       
Mike

Tramp Bushler

I take it the harvester will be falling,  limbing and sorting in the brush.   It will be yarded tree length? ? . How do you set up the landing?   Is the skidder a grapple or line machine.  ?? what do you have for a loader on the landing? 

Tramp Bushler

Ed_K

You have to know your cost per min,may take a day or 2 to figure this ? out.Time your chopper,time your skidder then time how long to process and load.
Or if the landowner is asking, as long as it takes to do it right  ;D .
Ed K

lumberjack48

Quote from: Ed_K on June 05, 2012, 06:49:41 PM
You have to know your cost per min,may take a day or 2 to figure this ? out.Time your chopper,time your skidder then time how long to process and load.
Or if the landowner is asking, as long as it takes to do it right  ;D .
Ed how did you know i did this, i had a habit of timing everything. If it took 7 minutes, next time i'd try do it in 6. I always set a goal when doing something.

SwampDonkey

Yes something similar that will give you production over time figures from that machine and man. Remember it's not just the machine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!