iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

keep blades clean

Started by locdogg, May 21, 2012, 10:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locdogg

still new to milling but discovered this yesterday. 
keep the blades clean as you can! 
been milling mostly ash and red oak. 
i have an ez boardwalk model 40 and the top of the blade stays pretty clean (from lube dripping on it). 
however if i bent over and looked up, i could see pitch/wood crud/whatever building up on the bottom side of the blade. (just on the teeth, sorry i should i have took a picture)
i sprayed some simple green on the underside and held a wire brush to it and wow.  the blade cuts like brand new again.

anyway thought i'd post in case other newbies hadn't discovered this.

Chuck White

Ash is notorious for leaving deposits at the base of the teeth on a bandsawmill.

When I saw Ash, the water is running a good steady stream and I rarely get any build-up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mikeb1079

i too had a problem with pitch buildup when first sawing ash.  thanks to this forum i tried a mix of water/cascade liquid soap and i got my mill back to cutting straight.  yes it's critical to keep your bands clean.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!