iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this?

Started by shinnlinger, May 20, 2012, 06:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Digging thru the junk pile today and came on these. Could be some kind of old cable grapple?  The are made by Esco and say salisbury 3 on them.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

BaldBob

End tongs. Used for loading logs. It was a very dangerous set up. If one of the end tongs pulled out, the log would go flying in that direction. I witnessed this happen several times on a logging operation that used them  in Northern California in the early 60's. They were used on logs that were too large a diameter for regular grapples. A common set up was to have a cable from a winch run through a pulley hung from an A frame ( or other means of elevation such as an "H" brace hung from the spar pole) with a "Y" yoke of cable, long enough for the length of logs being loaded, attached to the end tongs. The shackles on the outside curve of the tongs had ropes attached that a helper on each end used to keep the log lined up. When the log was in place on the load (often on a rail car - old railroad logging), the helpers would pull on the ropes to release the end tongs. Here's a diagram of another style of end tong:
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&sqi=2&ved=0CHEQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fpatents%2FUS994750.pdf&ei=SA-6T7WGJ8aJiALly_X2Bg&usg=AFQjCNHgO4XuueFEMbrW5fVHnuSMsZbIMw&sig2=vMeWES7B--X9qEoriOj18A

Magicman

I regularly use end tongs for handling logs.

I made them from broken skidding tongs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

Thanks Bob,

I might try to use them on my bucket like Magic man to load logs on my mill...Or I might make thek into candle wall sconces....

Dave
Shinnlinger

BaldBob

Just using them for loading with a bucket is probably as safe as any other loading system. What made the system dangerous on the operations that I saw was the height that the very large logs were lifted with a single cable attached mid way between the tongs, instead of a stable point like a bucket.

shinnlinger

My logs are little bit smaller than the the sticks you were working with as well.  Cool to know what they are.  I found them in a field in oregon.   

Dave
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!