iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4-FRI Awarded, May 18, 2012

Started by Rocky_Ranger, May 19, 2012, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Good project and I sure hope the outcome is as good as what they say.

However one of the first lines drew my attention.

The pilot project is aimed at identifying best practices for forest restoration management across the country.

We already know what many of these best practices are, we just need to be free to use them.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Rocky_Ranger

Ain't that the truth...............
RETIRED!

terry f

Rocky_Ranger, did any of the bigger ponerosa survive the fires the last few years, and how is it looking this year?

Rocky_Ranger

Depends on where the fire stood up and ran; some spots just look like a good prescribed burn, while other spots completely torched.  Most PP trouble was in the stands of what we call dry mixed conifer (lots of firs in the understories of the big old pumpkins), or where it was just the wrong time of day and weather.  Overall it done pretty good.  We had an area we had treated and thinned pretty good, had a steep north slope of firs that when the torched  trapped the heat under the smoke column.  It killed nearly the whole stand of PP (couple hundred acres) by cooking the crowns and never really burning the trees.  Just plain ugly.  We had treated areas that had the slash all cleaned up - I didn't think it would carry fire and it burned HOT.  Most of the PP in there though will make it - it was just a surprise how hot it did burned in treated areas.

I was on Flickr last night looking at the fire pics and some are pretty good, but I have maybe 300 that I took at various times that tell additional stories.  Maybe I can put mine on there soon.
RETIRED!

terry f

Thanks Rocky_Ranger, I wondered how much fire those big pumpkins could take, I never thought about the heat killing them.

Thank You Sponsors!