iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SNIPE with Baker M412

Started by Woodey, May 17, 2012, 11:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodey

A customer that I dry oak lumber for purchased a Baker M412 moulder to make hardwood flooring.

The boards are coming out with snipe on the bottom as they exit the moulder.

Something is not set correct.
Has anyone had this problem and what would be the fix? Thanks
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

trim4u2nv

Snipe on the bottom can mean the board is not supported properly when exiting the planer.  Try a section of conveyor set slightly uphill on the discharge end.  Or and old formica countertop slab (slick side up.)

kelLOGg

Trim is right about it not being supported on exit. My Powermatic planer has a pressure plate to prevent snipe. Too much pressure and the board won't feed and too little and you get snipe. The moulder probably has something similar.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

laffs

I have noy run or owned a 412, but used to run a much larger machine.

It is more than likely a combination of the bottom head or knives set to high and the bedplate to high.

the bottom head or knives should be just a hair above the aftercut plate(bottom part of bed after bottom head)  the bedplate (plate before the bottom head) needs to be below the bottom head knives, then its a matter of adjusting the pressure on the pressure bar or roller to aftercut plate.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

woodmills1

with all of the stuff we run I kinda think we should have way more than end snipe
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!