iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with yard wagon axle

Started by Brad_bb, May 17, 2012, 01:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Need some help.  I've got on old Cub Cadet wagon that we used to pull behind the yard tractor many moons ago.  About 12years or so ago, the tires were bad and I parked it in the barn.  I pulled the wheels and axle as I wanted to get new wheels.  Well time went by and the axle is now long gone.  I need help figuring out what I need to make this work. 

The bore of the two axle tubes is 7/8inch.  Each tube is about 3.75 long.  I figure the axle shouldn't rotate as the wheels usually have the bearings, correct?  Now most replacement wheels I see on northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company or elsewhere are 3/4 inch bore.  If I get a 3/4 inch bar for an axle, it won't fit the axel tubes correctly, nor will it be prevented from rotating if I used flanged bushings.

The shaft that came out of there was not welded in.  I'm pretty sure it just used a cotter pin on the end to hold the wheel on, so it must have had thrust washer on the back and front sides of the wheel.  Anybody have a similar wagon that they can see how it's done?  Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shelbycharger400

dont worry if the axle rotates in the trailer housings.   Use a large thrust washer on either side of the wheel    menards have them for less than $2 ea.

id just run a 3/4 axle  and cut to fit ,  clamp the axle in a vice and drill 2 crossholes and cotter pin it.

Raider Bill

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on May 17, 2012, 02:00:33 PM

dont worry if the axle rotates in the trailer housings.   Use a large thrust washer on either side of the wheel    menards have them for less than $2 ea.

id just run a 3/4 axle  and cut to fit ,  clamp the axle in a vice and drill 2 crossholes and cotter pin it.

Yep that's how mine is, one shaft goes through both sides, drilled, washer and cotter pinned on each end.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

It most likely had wheelbarrow tires on it orginally .

If you can find a junked riding mower usually those front tires will fit .That's what I did for my yard cart which being flotation type tires the mower tires worked out better .I know I've had nearly a half a ton of bricks on it and no problem as yet .I'll check the bore size as I can't remember if they were 3/4" or 7/8"

Slabs

If you have a Tractor Supply within reasonable distance they have round stock that might work.  They also have a good selection of wheels.  Enco has drill rod that would work great.  www.use-enco.com
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Brad_bb

Would I really need a hardened rod?  It's not supposed to rotate so I thought I wouldn't.  There's a Farm and Fleet about 40 minutes away from me.  We don't have TS nearby. 

I can't just run the 3/4 rod through the 7/8 axle tubes. that's too much play.  At the least I may need a sleeve bushing, steel or bronze.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

1938farmall

if you really want to fit everything up tight, use a bronze sleeve bushing.  mc-master carr has them (6391K207   ) for $1.82ea.
aka oldnorskie

Al_Smith

I checked ,it's a 3/4" axle .I'd personally use just a piece of cold roll round stock myself .You certainly don't need drill rod or stress proof for a yard cart .

Al_Smith

Oh 3/4" rod in a 7/8" hole .No biggy just put a couple tack welds on it .The axle doesn't turn,the wheels turn on the axle .

sparky1

The older wagon may have had a larger rod than the new one. I purchased a cheap wagon for around a hundred. The very first time I used it I put about 800 pounds of mortar in it. Well it was only rated for 500. Needless to say they have them ratings for a purpose. I got about half way across the yard and the wagon basically imploded. So i pulled it into the tree line and it sat there. Well a couple of weeks ago my neighbor bought a nice green trailer for himself and dropped his older one off at my house. The only problem is the tires kept going flat. So I thought great Ill swap out the tires on mine. well they didnt fit. His axle was larger than mine. The tires were the exact same size. but the hole in the middle wasnt. So you might have had a7/8" axle at one time
Shaun J

thecfarm

I have one of them for the wife. Nice and light for her to use. Should be able to stop and look at one. I had to replace the so called bearings on the tires. They use some sort of plastic for a sleeve to make it roll easier. I had some nylon bushings made up at work. Than a few yeras ago the tire dry rotted. I bought 2 new ones at tractor supply. Not much to those trailers,but they do haul a lot and are handy to have around. Al is right,all that needs to turn are the wheels. No need to go heavy duty with a real light cart like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!