iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP WM won't cut square

Started by Whitetail_Addict, May 17, 2012, 12:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitetail_Addict

I have an LT28 and I've been thru the alignment procedures in the manual.... now what? The last log i had on the mill was 1/4" away from the top of the back stops when i turned it over. Plus the cant ended up 5/8" wider at the far end on an 8'6" log. Any ideas?
2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

fishpharmer

First thing I would do is call Woodmizer. They have amazingly helpful customer service people.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bibbyman

If it all of a sudden happened,  you could have had a thick chunk of bark or other junk under the cant.

Is the cant square?  Maybe the back supports need adjusting?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ForestMan

I had that same problem.  For me it turned out to be a dull blade.  As soon as I put a new blade on, my mill cut straight again.  It was the FF gang who helped me on that one.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

hackberry jake

Anytime I notice my mill doing something funky, the first thing I do is change the blade out with one that I know is sharp and has plenty of set. Fixes it 98% of the time.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

redbeard

Even though my log stops are plumb n squared I use a torpedo level and always check face before second cut.

that way I know I have a perfect 90 degree.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

hackberry jake

Partially dimond shaped cants arent as big of an issue if you're making all lumber. Posts and beams are a different story.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sigidi

"HELP WM won't cut square" - get a Lucas ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

petefrom bearswamp

I always turn 180 degrees which helps enormously had a lot of parallelograms when turning 90/
also less edging..
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

laffs

I do the same as pete takes a bit longer to saw a log, but is a time saver in the end.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Dan_Shade

I think 180 flipping is faster, because you end up with less flitches this way...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

laffs

Glad this thread came along. After feeding the animals this morning Iwent to the mill, put on a new blade and started the first log, the cant wasnt square, it was a 1/4" out. I got my framing square out and my stops were leaning out an 1/8". So even tho I my first two openings are 180 from each other makes them parralel , I flip 90 up to my back stops cut that face and thats when things go wrong. took about 20 minutes to adjust all 3 stops and good to go
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Magicman

"Won't" cut square and "didn't" cut square are two different situations.  Won't is an adjustment that is out of whack.  Didn't can be caused by many different things such as stray piece of bark or maybe just a stubborn cant that did not snug up to the side supports properly.

Whether you turn 90° or 180°, being observant and developing a consistent sawing technique is a must.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

From my arm chair....
-the sawyer should be the first person to hold a square to the wood.
-mill not cutting square is like car not driving straight.
-shouldn't be airing this in front of swing millers. ::) ::) ::)

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sigidi

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 19, 2012, 04:50:46 PM
-shouldn't be airing this in front of swing millers. ::) ::) ::)

ROFLMLAO - made me chuckle heartily

ladylake

Not to hard to keep lumber square on a bandsaw if the stops  are square and you keep the cant tight against them.  Sigdi, have you ever cut 5 2x4's in one cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sigidi

Steve, I've tried makin 5 6x1 into 4x1 before, but the way the mill is designed - normal cutting negates the need for 'edgeing' boards, but having said this doesnt mean it can't be done ;)

ladylake

I'm not tyring to knock swing mills but don't knock bandsaw either, both do some things better.  I have a friend who has a swing mill that brings me some logs to cut and I give him some big ones to cut.  The best would be to have both.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sigidi

Quote from: ladylake on May 19, 2012, 08:54:29 PM

I'm not tyring to knock swing mills but don't knock bandsaw either, both do some things better.  I have a friend who has a swing mill that brings me some logs to cut and I give him some big ones to cut.  The best would be to have both.   Steve

horses for courses mate - take a look at my first response in Qweavers thread about his 10"WPF and hiw WM, I'm not trying to knock bandsaws either, was poppin a bit o fun in the post - sorry it got ya hackles up

Cedarman

One time I had a sawyer that couldn't get the WM to saw square.  He finally came to me and said he adjusted this and adjusted that and just couldn't get all the corners right.
I took the square and checked his cant.  By using the square you could see that you had 2 adjacent right angles and 2 angles that were greater than 90 degrees making it about 370 degrees total.
Euclid said that was impossible  for 2 adjacent angles in a quadrilateral to be right angles and the other 2 to add up to more than 180 degrees.
I told the sawyer to get a new square and check the square to make sure it was square before adjusting the mill.
Things went well after that.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I have a 12" aluminum square that rides under my operator's seat.  I occasionally check a questionable cant, especially large ones.  It is neat to lay it on a square cant when the customer is watching.   ;D

Never say a word.  Just check the cant, put the square away, and keep on sawing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Way to go MM. I do the same thing

:D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Migal

I was waiting for someone to tell him to let his toe board rollers down every time before turning cant  8) or at least that was a catch MM helped me with.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

WH_Conley

I do believe that is for taper sawing. :D
Bill

Migal

ive actually started a tapered stack and figure when i get enough i will use for like 8 foot shingles  8) 8) 8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

WH_Conley

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!