iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

01 frick rebuild

Started by NMFP, May 16, 2012, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

I just hauled the 01 wood frame Frick home and am now starting the rebuild process.  I was thinking of replacing wood with steel but due to a significant price difference, I am deciding to go with wood again. 

I basically have 3 questions at this point....
1.  How have those that have replaced wood with pressure treated made out with reliability and with stability?
2.  The carriage on this mill was extended to 18' but still had a 45' track.  I would like to shorten the carriage to 15' or less but has anyone shortened the carriage to 12'? and if so, how does it work or would you leave the length at 15'?
3.  Does anyone have a dog and ratchet that I could purchase?  I have 2 that are in great shape and another one that looks like it was driven over by a tank!  I have looked in my area but because of high scrap steel prices, Most od the donor mills within about a 100 mile radius have been scrapped or the owners are not willing to sell anything.

Thanks and pictures will follow shortly of the progross made in the process!!

SPD748

What's the casting number on the dog assembly that you have? I have several extras.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

bandmiller2

NMFP,on your carriage legnth,why shorten it if you have the track?? Its generally accepted that you can extend a log or cant 2' on each side of your carriage that would let you cut 16' stuff on a 12' carriage.Stability is the most important thing with replacement wood,most PT stuff is pretty twisty and green.Well seasoned timbers recut true and preserved with the baddest preserver you can find is probibly the best.Originally mill builders used hard southern pine. Plan on a roof over your mill to preserve everything,you included.Keep us involved. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!