iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade Tortillas

Started by Kansas, May 13, 2012, 07:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Stayed at home today to man the phone(s) with personell having issues with a truck trying to get back from Illinois. Had everything ready for fajitas. Then discovered I had forgot tortillas. Found a bunch of recipes on line and they looked pretty easy. Everyone was raving in the comment section of different recipes about how much better homemade were than store bought. So I thought, I will give it a try.

Just wasn't that impressed. Selected one recipe that used half regular flour and half whole wheat flour. They weren't bad. But I didn't get a "wow" factor. They tasted a lot like flour to me, hard to describe. I may have had them too dry. Anyone make them, and have any tips? Some recipes used baking powder, some didn't. I used one with baking powder. Maybe that was a mistake.

Buck

As I recall, a recipe I tried required masa flour( dont remember if that was a brand name). I do remember using a tortilla press to make them.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Dan_Shade

aren't they supposed to be made of corn?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kansas

There are corn tortillas, and flour tortillas. Unless I am using the wrong terminology for the flour ones.

Cutting Edge

Kansas, my step-grandmother made some for me years ago, and has since past, but Moms half-brother made some a couple years back during a visit...word had it they were great.  I'll see what I can find out for you.  I believe they made both corn and flour ones.  I would like to try my own hand at some too.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Norm

I make them and like flour tortillas better than the masa ones. Did you use real lard Kansas? When I make bacon I save some really fatty sections to cook down into lard. It has to be saved in the freezer but no big deal. As for the baking powder I've used recipes with and without, no preference for me. Make sure to have a hot nonstick pan big enough also.

Kansas

Norm, the recipe I used didn't use lard. It used oil,and all I had was some olive oil. I still wonder if they weren't just a little too dry. But lard might just be exactly what is needed. I will try it again until I get it right.

I don't do defeat well.

LOGDOG

I hear illegals make great tortillas. I bet you could get some hands on lessons up there.  ;D ;) :-X lol ....

Kansas

Might have to, Logdog. I know this. I was looking for the taste, not for the looks. Which was good thing, because when I got them rolled out, they weren't exactly round. One looked a lot like the state of Texas. Among other states. I am sure I had Ohio in there.

Buck

Quote from: Kansas on May 14, 2012, 10:37:21 AM
Might have to, Logdog. I know this. I was looking for the taste, not for the looks. Which was good thing, because when I got them rolled out, they weren't exactly round. One looked a lot like the state of Texas. Among other states. I am sure I had Ohio in there.

:D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Norm

Mine are never round either but not a big deal. Kansas I read the reviews on the recipes when I gave mine a try. Too many would not use lard as it's so bad for you. A couple used margarine! Fresh lard is great what I hate is the hydrogenated stuff they sell in the stores. First batch of homemade stuff I made assured me that I'll never mess with store bought again.

LOGDOG

When you get them right, they really are superior. They'll spoil you though ...

tcsmpsi

Now, one of my first 'secure the border' operations of many years ago, as I worked and lived amongst a desert patch of illegals, weeding onions and cabbage with a butcher knife, I made myself solid with the patch by my taking the reins and building up a 3' stack of tortillas.  Flour, water and salt.  Rolled out with the cut off end of a broomstick.  That was the typical daily ration of tortillas for our humble abode (half a trailer house with 8 cots).  Having the heat right is the most crucial. 

Every evening after work, everyone meandered from one trailer to another, visiting.  Nobody had to ask or be invited, wherever there was food, there was welcome to it.   Being the only gringo around, I got very mixed...considerations.  :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Kansas

I cannot possibly imagine making a 3 foot stack of tortillas. Wowsa. Talk about getting the good out of a broomstick.

tcsmpsi

We wuz haungry.   :D   That was a regular 'chore'.   
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

ashes

I worked in Tahoe with a guy that was married to a sweet mexican lady. They spent equal time in the states and baja.

I had never had homemade tortillas until then and I have to say that when they are done right they are amazing. She gave me the recipe, but I have never been able to replicate them.

RynSmith

Care to share, ashes?  ;)

ashes

Dang-it, I new that would be asked. Lost that recipe in a package deal that included a girl I was seeing a couple years ago.

You win some and you lose some.

WDH

Quote from: ashes on May 15, 2012, 07:06:59 PM
Lost that recipe in a package deal that included a girl I was seeing a couple years ago.

That sounds complicated  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Quote from: ashes on May 15, 2012, 07:06:59 PM
Dang-it, I new that would be asked. Lost that recipe in a package deal that included a girl I was seeing a couple years ago.

You win some and you lose some.

That's alright, ashes.  I lost everything but the one set of clothes I had on, even ol' Zachariah, in a similar deal.   ;D

LOGDOG

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that walk you through making homemade tortillas if anyone is interested.

Kansas

I will have to check it out, Logdog. I am on a mission now.

LOGDOG

WDH

There is a very informative episode on Good Eats that shows exactly how to do it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Made some last night for enchiladas.

I made up some enchilada sauce as I don't care for the canned stuff. Real easy to make and much better too.

Roxie

Norm!  That looks fantastic!   8)

Why, oh why is Iowa so far?! 
Say when

Kansas

Hoow do you make the enchilada sauce Norm? I always have used canned, but not ever been that impressed with it.

Norm

Norm's Enchilada Sauce

1/4 C vegetable oil
1/4 C flour
1 Tbsp of chili powder or more depending on how hot the chili powder is mine is medium hot.
1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups water
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cocoa powder

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
Gradually stir in tomato paste, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cocoa powder into the roux until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly.

sandhills

Thanks Norm, I was gonna ask for the same thing, they look great.

Patty

I gotta tell you, they were DELISH!!!    food1
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

LOGDOG

Cocoa powder huh? Interesting touch ... They look delicious.

Yoopersaw

Don't use whole wheat flour, it's over powering.  Corn is my favorite.

RynSmith

Hey there Norm, I made this again the other night and have a couple of questions... 

First off, you didn't say when you add the chili powder and I was wondering if by chance you add it with the flour and let it brown some there, or just with the rest of the spices? 

Also, what is the consistency when it's done?  I'm guessing I let it cook too long, because it was pretty darn thick.  Don't remember that happening the first time I made it.  Either way, we love this stuff!
8)

pappy19

My New Mexico born wife has 2 great recipes:

Moma Francisca's:

3 cups flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup hot water
Mix well, roll into small balls and flatten thin to cook

Terry's:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Crisco shortning
Mix all above well until shortning is incorporated completely
1/2 cup hot water
Mix well, add little bit of water at a time if needed. Should be almost dry but not flakey. Make small balls, flatten and cook on hot griddle or cast iron skillet.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

And here I am cook'n supper..........  :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Ryn I add the water gradually to the roux first then the tomato paste and stir until a smooth consistency.  I keep my heat at a low temp while doing this. I take all of the spices and put them in a small bowl then add to the roux, water tomato paste mix. It should be a fairly thin and if it's too thick just add water.

Thanks for the compliment and trying my recipe, brought back some good memories.  :)

RynSmith

I'm glad it did, Norm.   :)

Thank you for sharing in the first place and moderating this wonderful board!

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!