iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boot repair

Started by grassfed, May 13, 2012, 11:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

I am sure that I am not the first one to think of this but it worked so well that I wanted to pass it on. These are natural rubber boots and I used a heavy duty tube patch for ag tubes. I buffed the boot and used regular patch glue. It is water tight and has been holding on really good for a month now.

Mike

lumberjack48

Looks like a vulcanized patch, good job, i never had any luck patching boots.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sprucebunny

Thanks for the tip !

I used 'electrical-tape-in-a-can' on the rubber part of my Muck boots and it seems to be holding up. My boots like you have, the insides have chaffed apart. I haven't tried to repair that, yet.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

The top part of mine dry rotted,so I cut them down and wear around the yard.They also work to change back an forth with the corked boots,found that corked boots are dangerous climbing on and running the skidder.
Ed K

tyb525

Every pair of work boots I've ever own have split across the tread/sole in 6 months or less. Shoe goo never holds. I'm not sure how to prevent this besides buying $400 boots or getting them resoled.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bill m

I have been using tube patches for years for repairing my boots. They last about a year or two.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

That's a good idea. I have a pair of them. I wear mine just about all the time when I'm outside working on The Farm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tramp Bushler

Ya thats a weak spot on those Viking boots . Tire patches work good and work good on XtraTuffs .
Free Sole works alit better than Sho Goo  does . Madsen's sells it .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

redprospector

Quote from: tyb525 on May 13, 2012, 08:33:08 PM
Every pair of work boots I've ever own have split across the tread/sole in 6 months or less. Shoe goo never holds. I'm not sure how to prevent this besides buying $400 boots or getting them resoled.

You've got it figured out. Now the hard part is doing it.
I used to try to find bargains on boots, then I figured out that a pair of White's or Wesco's would last 2 years or more before they needed rebuilding. The "cheap" boots were $129 a pair and lasted 6 or 7 months & couldn't be rebuilt.
I put 2 & 2 together, added 12 and carried 5, and came to the conclusion that $400 boots are less expensive than the bargain boots.  :D
I have to admit that I did try a $200 pair of Hathorns. I can't wait for them to wear out so I can order some more good boots.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

DeerMeadowFarm

I use those patches on my LaCrosse hunting boots all the time; they work great!

Ron Scott

I've had good luck doing that repair also and on some pretty rugged tears.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!