iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats the best?

Started by missouriboy, May 12, 2012, 08:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouriboy

This should get things fired up lol. What is the best all around logging saw out there now. Don't hold back. I have ran a 372xp with a 28in bar on it and i was very happy with it. Just wanted some guys with more time behind a different saws to tell me what they think and some reasons why.

lumberjack48

I was a die hard Husky & Jonsered man for around 15 yrs, tried Stihl and never looked back.

I set my saw up a little diff than most, 8 pin sprocket, 16" bar's on all the saws 044, 038, 034, with full chisel chain, and leaned out on till they dump, then turned back a hair. I wanted as much chain speed as i could get. I ran Stihl 8 yrs never lost one to exhaust port scoring. [ Husqvarna couldn't take it ]

The old 044 Magnum is a hard saw to beat, the 038 Magnum is tough as nails. The one i liked to carry in the woods felling is the 034 Super, weight for power ratio, tip trees with ease, this saw impressed me every day.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

T Welsh

missouriboy, That is a loaded question. I guess it all depends on where you are and what your cutting. I have had Huskys and Johnnies and now I have all Stihl and I mean all! Saws,blowers,weedeaters clearing saws,hedge trimmers,gas powered drill. My go to all around saw would be a late 90,s era 044 with a 36" bar running full comp chisel chain. Tim 

Maine372

let me give you the situation i was logging in. tractor logging in a fairly built up area. some small selection harvests/thinnings. lots of horse pasture and house lots to clear. mostly white pine, some hardwood, some spruce/fir. the tractor didnt have a good place for a saw so i built a box ontop of one fender. that meant i only had one saw on the machine.
i run all husqys. i kept a 372 in the wood with gas and oil jugs. i would carry it out in the bucket in the morning and bring it back at night. this saw was always kept very sharp and was only for cutting standing trees and some liming if i was in big limbs(clean wood). i kept another 372 on the landing this saw was only used for cutting wood that had been dragged and had dirt on it. it got filed more and went through chains faster. so when the chain was worn out i would put a new chain on my felling saw and put he felling saw chain on the landing saw. on the tractor i kept a 346. small and light and nimble. comes on and off the machine very easily. nice and light for limbing.

with this setup i didnt usually have to file my saws durring the day. i would somtimes have to touch up my landing saw at lunch. but usually i would just take my saws home and file them on the bench at night. this is the setup that worked best for me in my situation. it could probably work as well with two 460s and an 026.

Cut4fun

Whatever makes you happy and with one with your saw.  :D

Maine372

oh, i forget to tell you about the saws. both 372s wear 20in bars, .375 stihl full chisel full comp. the felling saw had an 8pin sprocket, the faster chain speed helps bore cutting. the landing saw wore a 7pin and the rakers were a little lower. 436 had a 16inch bar and also ran stihl full chisel full comp in .325.

JHBC

Around here, Stihl's 1st, Husky 2nd, everything else combined a very distant third.

I could never tell someone what is the best fallers saw for their own application.  But...  Hands down the most used setup I see is Stihl MS660 w/36".  Almost everyone has one of these, and one or two of something else, Stihl or Husky that is.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Al_Smith

Yes it's a loaded question .However in reply it just depends on what's available locally .

In this area some years back Husqvarna made a very bad business move  in pulling the franchises on combination Stihl and Huskey dealers and as such  Husqvarna is all but none existant .Nothing wrong with the saws ,just a power play that went wrong .

Well yeah you can buy consumer grade Husqvarnas at Lowes  or TSC but I have no idea except to drive 40 miles where to find parts or service .Other areas of the country are different ,I realize that .

HolmenTree

Thats a tough question to answer. My experience of best logging saw was my 1986 Stihl 064 at 85cc and 14.1 lbs [same weight as the newer much smaller displacement 046/460]
2nd would be my Husky 372Xp followed by a close 3rd with my 272XP . The 372 only beating the 272 because it has air injection, spring antivibe and a side chain tensioner, but the 272XP is a better balanced and better handling saw.
I can't judge a Husky 390XP because I never owned one but from looking at one it looks like a big bore 372Xp which should make it a very good logging saw.

Now on the small end of a logging saw I heard even the 346Xp has a tough time matching up to the older 242XP.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!