iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoration of 1871 Colt .38 WCF

Started by westyswoods, May 12, 2012, 07:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westyswoods

Need some help? I am the proud owner of a antique colt pistol. Have had it for many years and to the best of my knowledge has been passed down through the family. I got a certificate of authenticity from Colt for the pistol and it shows having been sold and shipped to the Texas area. Makes sense as I have been told my great-grandfather was a rounder in that area and time.

I have had it appraised and spoken with a local gun guru. He suggested I do one of two things sell as is and or have an expert restore. His advise is hinged upon the word expert,as he states there are a ton of so called out there and he was not comfortable with any one recommendation.

If restored value could increase x4-5 if not presently as is should be worth 2500.

I have not a clue which way to go. This is one of those things hanging out there I would like to get taken care of.

Ideas, suggestions references all are appreciated.

There are pictures in my gallery how do I get them posted, tried and don't seem to be uploading

Stay Safe (Unlike me, conveniently amputated my index finger from last knuckle to tip las Monday. This typing sucks.) Be Well

Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Claybraker

westyswoods

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

fishpharmer

That old Colt is one of those family heirlooms that you would be hard pressed to replace.  If you have grandchildren that would appreciate its sentimental value, keeping it as is, may be the best option.   No gun expert am I, yet it seems like some of those old pistols are just as valuable, if not more, in the original state.  Maybe a google search for that model gun "for sale" will show you what similar Colt's are worth.  We have some real gun experts on FF that will likely offer better  advice.

Neat gun you have!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tcsmpsi

I went and looked at what photos you have in your gallery.  What are you wanting to do with the firearm?  Keep it?  Sell it?  What is your goal for it?

When you spoke to others of "restoration", did anyone have any real information on that as to what was exactly done?

Actually, the very best thing I see for it, for what it is under all circumstance, is to clean it very well and kill the rust.

There is already significant piting from rust.   As a lot of the revolver is not shown, just how extensive would have to be a bit of a 'guess'.  Only two things will get rid of the pits.  Grinding the metal down to the deepest ones, or plating it substantially.   Neither are considered, "restorations".  What you would have, is a 'bastard' revolver, worth no more than it is now.    Even taking it down, rendering it, and bluing, leaving the pits, would still not bring it any more monetary value.

You did not mention if it is fully functional, or not.   Of course, if not, then making it functional is worthwhile.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Texas Ranger

Call Colt, ask for customer service, explain the situation to them and an adequate description of the condition.  They  can advise you better, but I agree with the others you should have it professionally cleaned, rust killed, and keep it for a family heirloom.  Other wise, clean it up real well, kill the rust, and take it to a gun show and sell it.

Restoration by anyone other than Colt is grinding and polishing, ruin the thing.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Get some BlueCreeper on it for sure. :) (twist burlkraft's arm for a few drops)

And I'd go with TR's suggestion about contacting Colt.

I've a friend in Madison who ended up with a huge gun collection that was neglected for a long time (husband died and was an avid collector). He had several guns fully restored by the company.
Also discovered Rust Reaper (now Blue Creeper) and learned first hand its amazing penetrating powers bringing guns back to working condition for selling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

Seems your pistol was produced near the end of 1899.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Clam77

Get the rust killed and have it cleaned- that's all that needs done as it's value tends to go up with signs of natural wear.  Whatever you do, if there's any blueing left, DO NOT try to have it re-blued/re-browned (before blueing came about guns were "browned" - a similar process to try to keep them from rusting). 

And definately don't try to sell it at a gun show - you'd get cheated out of the true value of it.  Family heirloom is the way to go.  Maybe even have one of these guys build you a real nice shadowbox for the gun and it's certificate to hang on the wall..    :)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Bibbyman

I'd have it properly disassembled and cleaned by someone who knows how.  That is, proper fitting screw drivers, oils, etc.  And knowing how the gun comes apart.

The markings are clear and crisp.  The screws show very little damage.  There is very little lock bolt wear around the cylinder that shows it's hardly been used.

If you attempt it yourself, don't use wire brushes, buffing wheel, steel wool, or anything of the kind that would damage what is left original finish or blur the marking or dull the sharp edges on anything.

Looks like the grips have been replaced or at least refinished.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

westyswoods

A special thanks to all who have replied. Great advice and insight. I will call Colt this week as I do not have the expertise to do it.

Bibbyman you are correct in that the grips have been replaced and there does not appear to be much wear, although I was told one of the screws is not original.

Texas Ranger I will dig out the certificate of authenticity sent by Colt to verify the manu date and shippinf address in Texas.

Beenthere, burlkraft is way ahead of you. He brought some over a couple of weeks ago donating to the cause. Did not use it on the Colt and won,t but must say it is good stuff.

To all who suggest the heirloom route, that would be nice but fact is I am it. Another part is not being sure about my family history so it is a best guestamate that this pistol did in fact belong to my great grandpa. Would be neat if I knew for sure, but hell I barely knew my grandpa.

Again thanks to all and have a special day with mom if not in person in your thoughts.

Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Norm

No advice other than to say thanks for showing us, I love the cowboy guns and yours is awesome!

westyswoods

Texas Ranger,

Dang Me, pulled the Certificate of Authenticity sent by Colt. The following show

COLT SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER
Serial Number                             191059
Caliber:                                       .38/40
Barrel Length                               43/4
Finish:                                         Blue
Shipped To:                                  Roberts, Stanford & Taylor Company
Address:                                        Sherman, Texas
Date of Shipment                            November 14, 1899
Number of Same Type Gun
In Shipment                                   Six

The knowledge and expertise of forum members continues to amaze me.

Thanks To All
Stay Well and Be Healthy
Westy

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

samandothers

Sorry to hear of your accident Westy!  Post what your out come is.

Thank You Sponsors!