iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvestor, Processor Head ?

Started by Tramp Bushler, May 12, 2012, 12:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tramp Bushler

I thot I had it figured out but now I'm confused again .
What is the difference between a Harvestor Head and a Processor head ??

Can both do the falling ?
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

amberwood

usually interchangeable, but the processor versions I have seen usually have longer, different shaped grab arms to help pick logs out of a pile.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Tramp Bushler

snowstorm

harvestor head could be a bar chain type most of the time its a hot saw. cuts the tree pile it on the ground. processor most are bar chain type with feed wheels or tracks that feed the tree through the delimbing knifes. removing the limbs

barbender

The terms are used interchangably around here.
Too many irons in the fire

Jamie_C

Although the two terms are often used interchangeably they are not the same. A harvester head can process but a processing head cannot harvest.

Harvesting heads will tilt upright and you can grab and fall standing trees and then process them.

A true processing head may or may not have a tilt cylinder that will allow the head to partially tip up (about 30 degrees from horizontal). These heads are meant to follow feller bunchers or do roadside delimbing, they are not capable of tilting upright and cutting a tree from the stump. They also usually have different style delimbing knives that are meant to pick stems out of bunches instead of grabbing a standing tree.

Tramp Bushler

Ok . Thanks . It does seem that a hot saw feller buncher . And a dedicated processor would be fastest for high volume . But for me . A harvestor seems to be the best tool . . That and a forwarder would be the best combo. . . Lots of stuff t learn . Thanks again .

Jamie_C

There are so many variables to consider when you look at harvesting or processing. In what we call good wood around here you can harvest almost as much or sometimes even more  per hour as you can process. My best harvesting block i was cutting about 25 to 27 tonnes per hour. It was tall straight spruce that averaged about 20"dbh, wood like that is extremely rare. You have to consider how much extra volume you need to cut to pay for another machine and all of it's operating costs as well. Generally if it doesn't boost production by at least 50% then it isn't worth the extra expenses.

Tramp Bushler

I think something like a Timbco 450 with a Rolly II head would work very good for my 1 man operation . That and a forwarder .  . A nice thing about processing at the stump is you don't have to pack the brush back off the landing .

But . Its going to take a big pile of $ to get one .

Ed_K

Ya,about 800k for new equip. Good luck finding used,seems most good used deals are in the lakestates.
Ed K

Tramp Bushler

Ya , I've been scratching my head how to make one . . I'm afraid I'll just end up balder than what I already am . :-X :-X :P

mahonda

Just get a timberpro combi set up. Can only run one machine at a time. With that you can harvest, forward and load with just one.Machine

"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

Tramp Bushler

How much does one of those cost , a million dollars ?????? :P

mahonda

Depends new I would say six hundred set up good probably, used less than half that. But you don't get paid to work on your own equipment.
Burly aka Dad

Tramp Bushler

If I had a mill to feed and a long term contract . But at this point I'm just a firewood logger and vendor .
I'm learning all this stuff .
This flat land gypo loggin is alot different than bushlin tower ground on the coast .

mahonda

Contract? Getting greedy ain't ya
Burly aka Dad

Tramp Bushler

No not greedy . Just dont want to get into something and have things , like timber sales end and loose my investment .
I tend to be short fused around govt. Employees occasionally  so its best I don't get in over my head .

Thank You Sponsors!