iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire place mantel

Started by Bogue Chitto, May 11, 2012, 08:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Hey, that's cheatin'!

Danny- Do you re-seal all your boards or just the thicker slabs?

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Beautiful is a good word, but I also like "character".  It all depends upon the project.

In the above project, exquisite comes to mind.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

NWP

I've got a mantle and corbles from an old barn beam.  What is a good way to connect it to brick without having anything showing?
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

qbilder

I milled a dead standing oak to get this mantle. It's 3" thick, already pretty dry & had existing cracks & such. My wife wanted a new mantle and picked this tree specifically for the job because of it's twists & knots.

God bless our troops

4speed

These two ERC's are at the southwest corner of our house. They have more metal in them than a scrap yard. The tops have twisted out of them due to high winds over the years. I plan to cut a live edge mantel for our new home, leaving the embedded hinges as "conversation pieces."   

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. The lens on my cell phone camera is covered with saw dust and I don't know how to take it apart to clean it. :)

Charles135

WDH, Wow!  That is beautiful! 

4speed,
That will be a very nice addition and keep sake for your new house. 
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

Berggie

This is an Oak mantle cut from a tree removed from the grounds of the hosptal I work at, it had to go for the expansion of the parking lot. I  milled and plained into a mantle for the new employee lounge.

Home built/modified Linn 1900, Dolmar saw, farmall H with loader. Log rite.

DR_Buck

I have one waiting to get installed on my fireplace.   4" thick 10" wide ERC 14 ft long.  Almost perfectly clear and red with very little white sap wood.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

Berggie
That is some real nice work there. The wood and stone go together very nicely.

Employee lounge?  Pretty good treatment.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lud

My gallery has one I did a few years ago for a friend .  The room was 13 &half feet wide and we did a 14" x4" that spanned the whole room.  Spectacular!    So there's an idea for you.  Long Mantles.  The guy's wife would touch it and say, "How did you get it so smooth?" ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

123maxbars

Here is a question, I have alot of slabs that are easily large enough to make a good mantle.
How dry (moisture level) should the mantle be before finishing installing? Are some of you guys installin them green right off the mill? It appears in some of these post that you can finish and install one straight off the mill, Just trying to educate myself as usual,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 29, 2012, 08:24:22 AM
Hey, that's cheatin'!

Danny- Do you re-seal all your boards or just the thicker slabs?

Just the thick slabs that are not dry.  I suspect that they will finish the mantle with danish oil, so leaving the ends with the anchorseal for a while will not hurt anything at all.  I would prefer that the mantle be fully dry before installing.  This one has dried for over a year and a half and still has a way to go.  However, since most of the mantle has reached fiber saturation point where there is no free water in the cells, just bound water in the cell walls, the chance of twist, cup, or warp are lessened.  Also being 4" thick helps a lot too.

NWP, one way to attach is take a 1" masonary bit and drill two holes in the fireplace.  Then drill corresponding holes in the back of the mantle.  Take some 1" threaded rod and insert in the holes in the fireplace.  Then push the mantle onto the threaded rod about two thirds of the way into the mantle.  The threads create a friction fit to hold the mantle tightly to the fireplace.  If you have corbels, they can be glued on to give the look but not actually support the mantle.

Berrgie, Nice!!!

4sped, never seen a hinged mantle before  :D.  Definitely one-of-a-kind!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NWP

Thanks WDH.  That sounds pretty easy.  My cousin tears down old barns and sells the wood.  We traded the mantel for something and then it has been sitting in the basement for a couple of years waiting to be installed.  My wife will appreciate it too. ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

beenthere

Quotehas reached fiber saturation point where there is no free water in the cells, just bound water in the cell walls, the chance of twist, cup, or warp are lessened.

Danny
??
Doesn't movement take place below FSP when the bound water leaves the cell walls and the cells shrink?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

BT,

It is my understanding the the trickiest part of drying is getting down to the fiber saturation point.  Once there, you can speed up the drying a bit without as much chance for defect.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

I do some burled ones. This is a 18'er, burl in dead middle RARE, I have never seen one so long/ straight before OR since.....

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DR_Buck

Quote from: ohsoloco on May 11, 2012, 10:02:50 PM
My uncle gave me some white cedar logs a few years back.  One of the butt logs had this hanger in it.  Part of it was grown over, but it still swung freely.  That enabled me to saw around it, as close as I dared to go  ;)  I know I was cringing when I made these last few cuts  :D

Where is your sense of adventure?  I ususlly saw right through stuff like that!    :D :D :D

Ironwood -  Nice mantle!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

123maxbars

Quote from: Ironwood on November 30, 2012, 12:23:37 AM
I do some burled ones. This is a 18'er, burl in dead middle RARE, I have never seen one so long/ straight before OR since.....

Ironwood

That is a nice one! Got any close up shots of the burl?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Ironwood

I dunno, need to look, pre-digital era.....

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!