iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ground hogs

Started by doctorb, May 11, 2012, 09:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooleycow

Lester worked for the us park service on the blue ridge parkay.  He wasn't allowed to kill annoying and damaging groundhogs.  Red devil lye left no sign and sent them on their way.  Cabbage farmers used small cans of gas to rid the fields of groundhogs.  Joe, Ross, and me killed 189 groundhogs in 1992.  We hunted Patrick,Floyd, and Carroll counties in mountains of Virginia.  Land owners would offer to pay us.  We killed 37 on Dr. Bruce's farm(chief cardiologist wesley long hospital greensboro N.C.).  Their are hunters willing at no pay to rid your place of groundhogs.Some hunters really enjoy hunting groundhogs.

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 17, 2012, 05:30:03 AM
Fish are probably tastier than ground hog anyway.  :D :D
If it's  carp probabley not unless you plank the fish which is easy to do .

You clean and scale the fish then butterfly it right down the back bone and pin it to a plank,apple,something like that .Season  it with lemon butter and place it aside a nice warm charcoal fire and cook it until slightly brown .Unpin and discard the fish and eat the plank . :D

SPIKER

Ive got 5 this year, I feed them to the Fox living in a old chuck den in the corner of my property.   One was baby but they grow up to make big holes too ;)   All I use it my 10-22 usually out to 50 yards but most of my shots are 40~50 feet.   Last year got  a brand new 1200FPS 17cal pellet gun that I took one out with at 40 yards to the back of the neck.

For those that dont know the term "Whistle Pig" was coined long ago you could let out one quick shrill whistle and all the woodchucks in ear shot would stand up and often whistle back at ya.   It is a warning momma and others use to warn the troop of chucks in ear shot.   someone posted about those other rodents (Prairie Dogs) that do same thing only their calls are a bit more grunty different for sure.   I had both as pets as close as 10 yrs ago for some domesticated prairie dogs that were quite social and loveable.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

I used to just sit by the hole as a kid and thump'm with a fist sized rock. No gun barrel to clean. ;D Porkies used to be bad around here to because of a lot of old junk cars and buildings rotting into the ground. Cleaned up the mess and the porky problem went away except one that found a new home across the road in a barn. But someone took him out this spring on the road.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Right, back on topic!

I tried a product tonight called the Giant Destroyer.  It's a noxious gas producing cartridge that uses carbon monoxide (CO) to end the ground hog's life.  CO is believed to be a painless way to go, so I think it's humane, given what I am trying to accomplish.  Light it.  Place it as far into the hole as you can.  Cover all entrances but one before lighting.  Cover the last hole with a piece of sod to prevent smoke escape.  And see if anything gets disturbed in the next 24 hours.  I'll then fill the hole with gravel and cement.  Need to do this after dark to give a greater chance that the groundhog is actually in the hole.

We'll see! 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WildDog

Doc the only registered fumigant for fox dens in our state is a product called Dencofume, its carbon monoxide and very effective, the cartridges  resemble a big stick of explosives, the wick is bent back along the cartridge so theres time to lite it and fill the hole in. I don't get many calls from clients to use it as the cartridegs are $17 each and on the last den I fumigated (ina large rabbit warren) I used 3 cartridges.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

doctorb

WildDog

That's a very good description of the product I used last evening.  It looks like a small stick of dynamite.  Calling it a "cartridge" does not provide an accurate mental picture.  Cheaper here than down under, though.  4 sticks for about $6.00. 

Coverings on the den holes are undisturbed this AM.  Could mean I was successful, could mean they weren't in there last night.  Only time will tell.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Groundhog 1, doctorb 0:

Went down to the barn to get the mower, and standing in the middle of the barn was the groundhog.  He(she) scurried hectically around the barn looking for an exit.  The one Hole was blocked and I was standing in the way of his only other exit route.  Eventually races past me and my dog, who decided to run after him too late.

Conclusion:  the hole is undisturbed so the little bugger was not at home at the time of the gassing last PM. 

Action:  filled the hole with gravel and concrete.  He won't go in there again.  Now I'll have to watch for any new diggings.  I don't think this saga is over, but if he resides away from my barn, I can tolerate him. 

sandhills

I think you need a sidearm  ;D

thecfarm

I would not tolerate it. One will be 2-3 than 2-3 will be 4-5 and so on. It use to take me a few times to smoke them out. It's just a guessing game if thay are in thier hole. Just like a lot of things that you deal with in your profession,get it early and treat it and get rid of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clam77

Doctor B - They've been known to have more than one den sometimes but if you can find all the dens and wait for a nasty, rainy day, they'll be in one of them for sure. 

They're the type of animal that doesn't like to be around outside when it's raining- too much noise to be able to hear their surroundings.. 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Roxie

On Friday, Cowboy Bob came in from mowing the yard, and told me that he had seen a groundhog in a tree at the rear of our property.  To be honest, I thought he was yanking my chain. 

This morning we were having coffee and he said, "There he goes!  Get your glasses!"  I went one better and got out my binoculars and sure enough, that groundhog was in the tree at the first crotch, which is about six feet above the ground. 

Okay, that is a first for me. I've been around a long time, and I've never seen a groundhog go up a tree.  If the tree was leaning, maybe I would have believed it, but these are two different trees that this critter has climbed, and both are branch free up to six feet.   :o

Please tell me that someone out there has seen a groundhog up a tree! 
Say when

trapper

I didnt beleive my wife until she showed me that very same thing a few yers ago
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

gspren

A few years back I shot one out of a tree, he was about 15 ft up!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Norm

Same here, the one I got was easily 10' up in a tree.

sandhills

I "may" have seen one climb a tree once with a 4wheeler behind it giving it some encourgement  :-X

Sprucegum

I got video-graphic proof  8)  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjy7r3ZBxl8&feature=youtu.be

The young hound has not been trained to hunt so when I determined exactly how long a ground hog can survive in a tree she took it way out in the woods and buried it. The actual demise of the critter was edited out to protect the innocent  ;D

beenthere

I had one run up a tree once, but it wouldn't stay there long enough for me to get the gun. Made a fast exit to the woods.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Doc Hickory

Hey Roxie!

You ain't having a hallucination, them skutters can climb a tree sure 'nuff!  They don't much like climbin' them, but if hard pressed they'll shinny up a tree.  When I was a kid, we had a few for dinner.  First parboil it then surround it in a pan with sweet taters. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes, throw the hog and taters out for the dogs and eat the pan...
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

sparky1

My dog chased one up in a tree here about a month or so ago. The ground hog stayed in tree for about 24 hours. It was about 10 feet up. The dog stayed below the critter and barked most of the day. Then i put the dog in for the night, and let her out the following day. The groud hog was still there!!  I figured it was stuck and didnt know how to get down, ive never heard of them climbing a tree either.  So me and the wife went to town that day and put the dog away. We came home and the critter was gone.  In hind sight I shoulda got the .22 out, but I must be getting more sensitive to animals.   I too didnt realize they could climb trees.
Shaun J

doctorb

Baby ground hogs spotted this weekend on the fringes of our lawn.  When I got home tonight, a thunderstorm hit big time, yet my dog didn't come runnin' out of the rain.  Found him down by the barn.  Buzz ( my yellow lab ): 1, baby ground hog: 0.

Clam77

:D  :D   Good dog!!
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

thecfarm

Atta boy!!!! You may have yourself a wood chuck dog.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Labs make good hog dogs once they get it figured out, my lab mixed dog Ginger used to kill quite a few but now that she's over 10 she can't catch most of them but she will still get a slow one or two. ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

tcsmpsi

ground hogs....that's sausage, ain't it?    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!