iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

biggest cherry I'v milled yet

Started by homesteader shane, May 07, 2012, 08:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader shane

This last weekend I had a mill job lined up for Sunday, the customer said over the phone he had some cherry and basswood to mill. I got there on Sunday moring and set up and started milling, the basswood was on top so I did it frist and thier where some big logs. His wife was a wood carver and wanted it milled into 3 inch. I got through the pile of basswood and got to the cherry. The frist log was cut to 12 feet and had a 22 inch diameter and it squared out at 16" X 15" X 12' and 100% clear of any nots, we milled it all in to 1 X 6. he had 8 logs out of one tree, it's the biggest cherry I'v ever milled without and rot in it

hamish

I have two good sized cherry given to me this past weekend, so hard to decide if I should just sell them as veneer logs or actually mill them. They came with a 4000bf cedar job.  I you dont mind me asking what are you charging per bf down there or sawying only?

Are you heading to Bancroft for the saw expo?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

Good for you homesteader shane.  It is always fun to crack open a nice Cherry log.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

homesteader shane

hamish
Yes my wife and I are looking forward to going Bancroft to the saw expo

no I don't mind, I charge a hourly rate for onsite (customer's house) and a redused rate if they bring logs to me
And i can't find anyone close around here that will take veneer logs I'v got alot of maple still standing i would love to send out

hamish

I am heading up on the friday, stuck going to a wedding on the weekend out of town.    The buyer is comming by on thursday to give me a price on the cherry, one of them should be about $1400 the other I don't know, I know I could make more processing it but its quick money.............for new toys!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!