iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Timberking 1400 owners?

Started by pinehillstacker, May 07, 2012, 07:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinehillstacker

Howdy all,
I have myself about 95% talked into talking to a dealer about a Timberking 1400 sawmill, but I thought I would see first what some 1400 owners had to say about their mills - good, bad, ugly.  Also, if anyone that owns one lives near SW Pennsylvania, I would much appreciate being able to get my hands on one and try it out.  The mill would be for sawing up logs that we cut off of our farm, mostly just a part time operation, maybe get into some cutting for other people.  Thanks everybody, Si
Lonely Oaks Timber - custom sawing, logging

Ga Mtn Man

Matt at TK should be able to put you in touch with any nearby owners.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

So is there a 5% chance you may get a WOODMIZER?  :) 

Call me:            BR-549

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pinehillstacker

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 07, 2012, 07:28:43 PM
So is there a 5% chance you may get a WOODMIZER?  :) 

Call me:            BR-549

:D :D Good one POSTON, but I think the 5% is more just due to the fact that I haven't had a chance to run one yet.  By the specs, the 1400 is pretty well the mill for me, but if I run one and don't like it, then I may have to take your advice. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jander3

I have a TK 1200.  I am very pleased with this machine and the TK Service.

grweldon

Quote from: pinehillstacker on May 07, 2012, 07:08:35 PM
Howdy all,
I have myself about 95% talked into talking to a dealer about a Timberking 1400 sawmill, but I thought I would see first what some 1400 owners had to say about their mills - good, bad, ugly.  Also, if anyone that owns one lives near SW Pennsylvania, I would much appreciate being able to get my hands on one and try it out.  The mill would be for sawing up logs that we cut off of our farm, mostly just a part time operation, maybe get into some cutting for other people.  Thanks everybody, Si

So did you end up purchasing a 1400?  I placed an order for mine two days ago.  I probably should have asked this before then, but I just found the thread...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

pinehillstacker

Sorry for the long delay on the reply, haven't gotten on here much lately with hay season being in full swing, but I did end up getting a 1400, and am super pleased with it.  Excellent mill from an excellent company.  No complaints on the equipment side, now if the sawyer would do a little better job, we would really be cooking with gas. 8)

grweldon

Hmmmm.... I wish I could unhesitantly say the same with my 1400 purchase.  How much wood have you cut with it so far?  I've only cut about 200 board-feet (can't find the time and when I do, it's raining!).  Pine cuts easy... pecan not so much!  I absolutely hate how the winch cable rubs on the carriage guide when in use.  Seems like it would have taken minimal design effort to fix that and provide a guide for the cables to ride in...  Just one of a dozen "little" things that should have never been...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

pinehillstacker

I've cut about 800 feet so far, I haven't had enough free time on my hands either.  Mine saws pretty straight lumber, I noticed when the blade gets dull it starts dipping.  I've done a little poplar, cherry, oak, and maple.  Just started on some pine, and noticing some wavy boards, especially where the knots are, but I think I need to slow my feed rate maybe.  I'm not the biggest fan of the winch either, but overall, I think its a solid machine.  I added a couple do-dads here and there: zip-tied the water line to the frame to make it flow better, and  I have an hour-meter that I need to install, but overall I am pleased.

grweldon

Hmmm, I haven't had any wavy cuts in pine, but I don't push the feed either, probably 12-15 feet per minute... finishes my small diameter (12-14") 9' long pine logs in about 35-45 seconds or so using the standard TK 10deg. blades.

I added my hour meter just after I changed the break-in oil at about 10 hours.  I am probably a bit more critical than most because I am a manufacturing engineer with a design background. I've recently discovered another "small" issue that could have easily been overcome with a bit more design forethought.  The bolt heads that hold the guide rollers on to the carriage are extremely close to the bunk tubing as they pass.  My bolt heads actually rub on one or two of them.  This could have been avoided in one of two ways... either machine a bit of clearance on the bunk tubing (most difficult and costly) or just make the guide rails 1/8" farther apart.

Like I say, I'm quite picky generally, it's what makes me so good at what I do, but it appears most people don't have issues with the kind of stuff that I have issues with.

What do you think of the screw clamp?  Milled anything over 24" diameter yet?  Seems to me if a mill is capable of cutting a 32" diameter log, as a manufacturer, you would make some provision to clamp it?  About the max that the clamp dog will accomodate is 24".  Fortunately for me, it doesn't seem that I will be milling many logs over 24.  If so, I'll have to fabricate an offset clamp bar or some other type of clamp.

I'm not downing the mill, I think it's a relatively good machine, but hey, if you are going to build something, pay extreme attention to how it's designed... your customers will appreciate it...

pinehillstacker

I understand where you're coming from, my dad designs/builds/repairs hydraulics for a living and he criticized how they designed the hydraulic system: filter location, valves w/ no detent, etc.  I haven't milled anything over 18-19" so far, but I thought the same thing as you, not sure how you would actually mill a 32" log.  The clamp works well for what I've used it for so far, but for the really big logs, I'm not sure how well it would work, if it would work at all.  For longer logs, it wouldn't hurt to have a second one, either.  Hopefully I can get some more sawing done tonight or tomorrow w/ a slower feed speed and new blade and get it straightened out.  I'm using the standard 10 deg blades as well, so I think the problem is mostly operator headspace and timing.

Cypressstump

I usually cut larger sized logs on my little 1220 mill. I have a prototype 'wedge' that I use to hold the log against the dog for the first and subsequent 90 degree second cut. After I improve it a bit, I'll post a few pictures. 
Who knows, may even paint it WM Orange ::)

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

grweldon

Quote from: pinehillstacker on July 19, 2012, 10:00:48 AM
... my dad designs/builds/repairs hydraulics for a living and he criticized how they designed the hydraulic system: filter location, valves w/ no detent, etc.  I haven't milled anything over 18-19" so far, but I thought the

Not only that, in my opinion, without a setworks, the head up/down speed is too fast and the controls don't feather well to get a precise setting.  It would have cost maybe another $20 to get that particular valve with a flow control built-in to allow the customer to adjust it.  Better yet, what about a dual-flow control similar to the feed valve.  I suppose that is what you are referring to as a detent valve... one detent - adjustable flow, wide open - full flow.  Both in the up/down direction would be preferred.  Obviously it's a budget mill but at around $15K it's really not that "budget".  Just that one feature alone would greatly improve the ease of use of the mill.

What do you think about the location of the lube tank?  Nothing like having to walk around the end of the mill to shut off the flow!  Would have been really nice (and cost no more) to have the tank right above the hydraulic operator station where you could turn the valve on at the beginning of the cut and off at the end!  Gross design error in my opinion.  Most guys are putting solenoid control valves on it so it shuts off when the clutch is disengaged.  It's really not a HUGE issue because you have to walk around the mill to turn a log or can't anyway and you walk right past the valve.  I usually remember to turn it off... I almost always forget to turn it back on, that's why it would be nice to have it right above me at the control station.  Then I'd probably forget to turn it off before I turn the log!  That's what happens when you get older!

grweldon

Stump... don't take too long to improve it...  Sure would like to see...

kgbond

It is advisable to try the mill you are interested in before you buy. Don't look at it, try it for yourself. Cut some boards. The more time you spend testing the different mills out the more informed will be your decision.

Kimball

medic

On the real big logs that are close to maxing out the mill capacity, I use the log turner as a clamp until I get the log milled down to a cant.  At that point the screw clamp will usually fit.
scott 
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

grweldon

Thanks for the tip Medic.  I will remember that on the rare occasion that I find one that big!  Usually, if I do, I have much difficulty getting it on the mill!

grweldon

Quote from: kgbond on July 19, 2012, 03:40:34 PM
It is advisable to try the mill you are interested in before you buy. Don't look at it, try it for yourself. Cut some boards. The more time you spend testing the different mills out the more informed will be your decision.

Hmmmm, dealers or people with mills who are willing to let you try them out must be much more plentiful out your way.  The closest I could get was to offload some boards for a guy who was milling cherry on a WM LT-30.  I did go visit Cook's, about 2 hours from where I live. They offered to let me try a mill, but all of the ones they had on the lot were sold waiting to go to customers and they didn't have any wood to cut.

But yeah, if you can get somebody to let you use their mill for a week or so, that would be cool!

pinehillstacker

Good idea Medic, I will definitely keep that one in mind.  As far as the lube tank, I usually just let it run unless I am loading a log. For the most part I just let it drip while I am cutting.  It could be placed better, but it doesn't bother me too much.  I believe I will be putting detent valve kits in though for at least the forward/backward so I can just push the valve forward and let the mill do its thing.  That way I can clean up slabs, etc., while its sawing.

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: grweldon on July 19, 2012, 09:29:32 AM
...The bolt heads that hold the guide rollers on to the carriage are extremely close to the bunk tubing as they pass.  My bolt heads actually rub on one or two of them.  This could have been avoided in one of two ways... either machine a bit of clearance on the bunk tubing (most difficult and costly) or just make the guide rails 1/8" farther apart...

...What do you think of the screw clamp?  Milled anything over 24" diameter yet?  Seems to me if a mill is capable of cutting a 32" diameter log, as a manufacturer, you would make some provision to clamp it?  About the max that the clamp dog will accomodate is 24"...

Quote from: grweldon on July 19, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
...Not only that, in my opinion, without a setworks, the head up/down speed is too fast and the controls don't feather well to get a precise setting.  It would have cost maybe another $20 to get that particular valve with a flow control built-in to allow the customer to adjust it.  Better yet, what about a dual-flow control similar to the feed valve.  I suppose that is what you are referring to as a detent valve... one detent - adjustable flow, wide open - full flow.  Both in the up/down direction would be preferred...

grweldon,
Have you called TK about these design issues? Companies love to hear back from there customers, especially those that have engineering experience. They might even be willing to hire you as a field tester/consultant, you never know. Eastern Mountain Sports would give out free gear just to get the "real world" opinion from its customers, and some of this gear was their top of the line equipment. Just a thought...
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

grweldon

Honestly, I have intended to give TK this information, but so far I only have about 14 hours on the mill.  I want to saw but work, weather, schedules, ministries, and injurys have all kept me from being able to mill more.  This is something I did not count on.  I figure after I have 50 or 60 hours on the mill I will pretty much have my list complete and give it to them.

I offered to do some engineering work for Cook's Saw Manufacturing after I visited their facility to look at an MP-32 mill.  I never heard back from them.  I have a way of being so direct that people think I'm slamming them.  That isn't the case of course, but I am an engineer and I don't deal in BS... just facts.  Some people don't appreciate that.

beenthere

:D :D
Nor can we walk into a cook's kitchen and start telling them how to do their job.
::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Quote from: beenthere on August 06, 2012, 12:08:45 PM
:D :D
Nor can we walk into a cook's kitchen and start telling them how to do their job.
::)

Unless, of course, we are excellently qualified...

beenthere

Quote from: grweldon on August 06, 2012, 01:49:54 PM
Unless, of course, we are excellently qualified...

:D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Leigh Family Farm

Smart to wait a little bit until submitting your ideas to TK. I'm sure you know this, but I will always try to give a solution to a problem I see. Just telling someone that there is a design flaw in their product will most likely get you a shut door in the face.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

grweldon

Quote from: kilgrosh on August 08, 2012, 08:16:03 AM
Smart to wait a little bit until submitting your ideas to TK. I'm sure you know this, but I will always try to give a solution to a problem I see. Just telling someone that there is a design flaw in their product will most likely get you a shut door in the face.

Amen to that!  I certainly intend to give suggestions on how to fix the issues.  Thanks for the comment.

PS... Honor and integrity are also my guides to life, only second to the bible...

marquardt

I own a TK 1400 and I love it. The walk along command post work great and is better for viewing than when you sit behind the log. The log turner is nice for big logs, but I do not use it for smaller ones. This is my 3rd. TK, having owned a 1200 and 1220 before. I think this mill will serve my needs for the next 10 years.

opticsguy

Greatly enjoy my 1220 and no problems other than a broken drive belt (goodyear). TK has been promt with any help I need.   In the long run, it is not the machine that makes the wood. It is the guy running the mill. 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Thank You Sponsors!