iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black WALNUT Bench

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 06, 2012, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had some Walnut slabs drying for a little over a year. I got the MC down to 13.3%. I couldn't get it any lower, so I figured it was time to build a Walnut bench my Wife's been wanting.

I applied 5 coats of Poly. Applied a coat of wax and buffed it to a mirror shine.

Hope ya'll like it. David

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ellmoe

Lookin' good, David! smiley_clapping

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Left Coast Chris

Very nice work there!   How did you fasten the leg brace?   Good job keeping the bark in tact against the face of the legs.  Must have taken some patients to get such a good fit with the brace.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

blaze83

very very cool david 8)  how do you buff out your wax? by hand or with a power buffer?

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

WDH

It looks alive!  Reminds me of a well crafted tortoise  ;D.  I really like it, especially the natural curve in the two legs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Very nice work as usual.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on May 06, 2012, 08:31:11 PM
Very nice work there!   How did you fasten the leg brace?   Good job keeping the bark in tact against the face of the legs.  Must have taken some patients to get such a good fit with the brace.

The brace work is an illusion that looks like it goes through the legs.....like you didn't know.....you guys are smart woodworkers too!  :)

The braces on both sides are attached using wooden dowels and hidden pocket screws and just enough Gorilla wood glue so as it will not leak out when I run the screw in.

I buff it with a power buffer on LOW, but just for a few seconds. Then hand buff it.

I'm trying to build enough of these benches to load on a trailer and go to some tractor shows in my area with hopes of selling them.

sparky1

Those are great!! How much are you thinking about selling them for? 
Shaun J

Tree Feller

That's very good work, David. The illusion of the thru-brace really is a cool detail.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

sandhills

Once again, very,very nice work! 

jueston

that is a beautiful bench  :)

WDH

David is the Bench Whisperer
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 07, 2012, 07:22:40 AM
David is the Bench Whisperer.

WHAT CHU TALK'N 'BOUT WILLIES ?  :)

markd

markd

Road Runner

David,  I have a few cedar slabs that I want to make benches similar to yours out of for use outside.  I am not sure what clear finish to use to bring out the grain that will hold up to weather and UV.  What kind of polyurethane and wax did you use?  Any suggestions are appreciated.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Road Runner on May 07, 2012, 11:03:18 AM
David,  I have a few cedar slabs that I want to make benches similar to yours out of for use outside.  I am not sure what clear finish to use to bring out the grain that will hold up to weather and UV.  What kind of polyurethane and wax did you use?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I use CABOT EXTERIOR POLYURETHANE. I get it at LOWE'S.

When I wax it, I just use TURTLE WAX that I use on my truck. Actually I'm waxing the poly finish to a brilliant shine. Don't power buff to hard, it will burn the poly finish. Just hand buffing the wax will work too.....takes a little longer, but still looks great!

Misfit

Very nice! I like both this one and the one you posted a week or so ago.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

WineandWood

Bill Gaiche

Nice bench and some pretty wood. bg

metalspinner

This bench looks great. :)

All day I've been scratching my head to think of a way you could make that stetcher one piece and still go through the legs.  And I think I've come up with the solution. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Some things take a little "magic" Chris.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

markd

how did you keep the bark from coming loose?
markd

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: markd on May 08, 2012, 09:33:29 AM
how did you keep the bark from coming loose?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but I have had extremely good luck with keeping bark on slabs if I take the tree out of the woods in the winter......the sap is down.

I air dry my slabs with LOTS of ventilation....sometimes I have a fan on them if the humidity is really high in the summer. When I am ready to work my slab, you can pretty much tell if it's gonna stay (bark) or not just by putting pressure on it with your fingers.
Now before I start sanding or carving with the chain saw, I will absolutely drench the bark in Polyurethane....3 or 4 coats and let it soak into the bark as much as it will. This tends to freeze the bark in place and makes it tough.

This tends to work for me.

Like another member said, (and I can't think of that guys name)......sometimes it takes a little MAGIC!  :D

Jemclimber

Sap being down in the winter is an old wives tale. Moisture content is approximately the same year round.  However, in the winter the cambium is not in the active "growth" stage and trees cut in the winter do tend to hold their bark much better. 

That is a beautiful bench and your optical illusion on the stringer is a great idea. You should have no trouble with people wanting to buy such a pretty piece.
lt15

tyb525

Looks like you'll be busy cutting more slabs....to make more benches with....which means you'll need to cut more slabs!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!