iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for backup heat

Started by Brad_bb, May 06, 2012, 05:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

In the farmhouse I live in now, it has electric baseboard heat- retrofit when the original coal furnace was removed in the early 70's.

I want a back up heat source when the power goes out.  I was thinking Kerosene space heater and lamps.  I've been looking at the antique space heater like the Perfection ones from the early part of the 20th century.  How well do these work versus later ones from the latter half of the century? How quickly do the Perfection heaters go through fuel?  To go along with that I'm considering a couple Kerosene lamps too and maybe a camp/cook stove.

Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

I'd have to ask how you like (or don't like) the smell of kerosene. Has an odor all of its own, and might take some getting used to.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bugdust

I think I would prefer a wood burner that can provide heat and opportunity to cook on too. I always keep an oil lamp handy for back-up light. Also, the old trusty generator is here to keep the frig and freezer cold, that is as long as gasoline is available.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Onthesauk

Have used a Kerosene space heater a couple of houses back in an area where we often lost power often and long.  As mentioned, odor is an issue but bigger problem we always had was the smokey residue on the walls and ceiling if run any length of time.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

Quotethe smokey residue on the walls and ceiling if run any length of time.
And on the clothes and dishes and pictures and furniture.   

But better than being cold.

I'd go wood as well, and even consider a gas ventless before going back to the kerosene (which seems to be VERY expensive now due to low volume use, I'd guess). We had kerosene in some student married housing as well as in our hunting cabin. Return from a weekend hunting and everything reeked of the smell.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sparky1

you can buy a wood furncase for like 7 to 8 hundo at a menards. You would have to put a chimney up for it, maybe you have one that coal one used?  I just throw that in the basement and just let the head radiate through the floors, dont worry about ducting it. Better than freezing, and might even be better that your electric, cheaper to run anyways!  Just got to get the insurance companys approval!
Shaun J

beenthere

sparky1
A wood burning furnace that doesn't need a chimney? That for real?
south central Wisconsin

sparky1

sure if you like a smokey house!!   :D

no, i meant he could possibly use the old chimney that the coal one used.
Shaun J

Magicman

Since it is only for a backup heat source, is a propane ventless heater out of the question?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on May 06, 2012, 10:34:28 PM
Since it is only for a backup heat source, is a propane ventless heater out of the question?

That's what I was going to suggest. We have portable ones that run from a BBQ sized bottle. Same bottles can be used for summer and winter then  ;D

If you were going to the expense of putting in a small wood stove you would likely use that as your primary heat, and keep the electric as a backup.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I have a wood furnace here with forced air (needs power), but I can run it with the side panel off and just load it with less wood. Keeps me and stuff from freezing up. It won't be 85 degrees, but probably upper 60's in a power outage. In all the years I've lived here, the longest power outage was about 2 hrs. And that was in the worst ice storm in memory. ;) Of course in winter just stuff the food in coolers. Lots of snow and ice around to use. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

If you have street gas problem solved,if not I'd get a good wood stove you could cook on and use it.Even buying wood you'll save over electric. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brad_bb

The wood stove idea is pretty much out for me.  I don't want to modify this house, as I'm not here permanently.  I don't have firewood handy on my property, so I'd have to buy it, store it etc.  A lot more work.  There's a good case for both Kerosene and Propane.  I already have a Kerosene jug for my hot pressure washer.  I also already have a propane bottle for my grill. 

For those who mentioned soot or odor with Kerosene,: I've been reading on the net, and I wonder if that isn't due to improper adjustment of the wick, or the wick needing to be trimmed?

Used Kerosene space heaters and lamps and small cook stoves can be had very reasonably.  Kerosene can be stored and handled fairly easily too.  Propane must be under pressure and if you get a faulty valve...you're either not going to get propane to flow, or it will leak out.  But Propane may burn a little cleaner and I have my grill.

I'm thinking both are the solution.  I want to be prepared for 4-7 days of power outage.  Although this hasn't occured for a long time, all it takes is a good ice storm freezing on power lines and SNAP!  If it happens over the area, power crews could be repairing for days or a week.  A couple more jugs of Kerosene, a space heater, a small cookstove, a lamp, a few more propane bottles, and keeping my eye out for a used propane space heater and I should be covered.  Thanks.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on May 06, 2012, 10:34:28 PM
That gets my vote too .Fact I have one mounted on a cart in the garage holding a 20 pound propane tank .20 bucks at a garage sale .Emberglow no less one of the original brands .It's like 35,000 btu and if it not for the wood stove could provide enough heat to at least warm the house in the event of a total long time power failure .They'll run for a couple days on a tank of gas .

Al_Smith

Let me amend my last .At reduced BTU's they will run a couple of days .Usually on space heaters such as these once to get the heat up you seldom need to run them wide open .

During winter months I keep 4 to 6 tanks of propane on hand .What doesn't get used up gets utilized in the gas grill come warm weather .Danged little thing will run you out of a two car garage in about 45 minutes in winter running wide open .

beenthere

brad
Go for it. Sounds like you are ready to heat with kerosene.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin

Kansas

Have you thought about getting a generator instead? You can always move that to whatever new home you have. Not all calamities happen in the winter. Sure be nice if you had a generator to run the fridge and stuff during the summertime, in case of a heavy wind storm or tornado hitting nearby. I found a fairly cheap double pole throw switch on Craigslist. I don't know what size of generator you would need. In my case, I have a Miller welder/generator that probably is overkill. This time of year, you might be able to find a smaller one cheap at a garage sale or moving sale. Might be enough to take the chill off if need be.  Just a thought.

chevytaHOE5674

I too was going to suggest a generator. Handy for more than just a power outage in the winter.

DanG

I was going to suggest a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special, but it looks like you were talking about something else. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MHineman

I used a kerosene heater several years ago.  I don't recall smelling the kerosene except when starting it or shutting it off.  While it was running everything was fine. 
  That house was a little drafty, so we did get a good exchange of fresh air whether we wanted it or not.
  If we did start to notice a smell, I'd take it outside and pull the fuel tank out and let it run out of fuel.  Then relight it several times without adding more fuel to burn off all the carbon buildup.  After that it ran like a new one for at least a couple weeks, then repeat the cleanout.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

dolittle

Look for Aladdin kerosene lamps.  A little expensive but equal to a 60 watt lamp and they last forever.

Satamax

Brad, i say this seriously.

Why not make yourself a   rocket mass heater?   
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Brad_bb

Satamax, You've shown me something new.  I won't do that where I am now, but something to consider for the Timberframe I'm going to build for myself.  After looking at some pics on the web I have questions, but that'll have to be in antoher post.  Thanks.

Aladdin...I'll look into those.

Thank You Sponsors!