iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain grinders

Started by 240b, May 06, 2012, 10:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

240b

I am looking at grinders, Silvey's, any one use one?  I am going back to squareground chain which I have not used in ten years. The  outfit I am working for has a Zigelmeyer which is impressive but no longer made from what I understand.  Are the base model silveys worth it or is the top shelf the one to get. I am sure they all work well, it just I have better luck with better tools,(most of the time).. what your experience?

ladylake

What kind of wheel do they use when square grinding, seem like it would be hard to maintain a sharp corner like a file.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Welsh

240b, If you are looking at Silvey you are looking at the top end of the grinders. Compare all that you can find in that price range. This type of grinder is bought once and you will have it for a life time. Wheels can be changed to sharpen different pitch of chains. mid range grinders will do the same job, but they will have plastic parts here and there. I have a Foley Belsaw that I would not part with. Tim

maple flats

I use a MAXX from Bailey's. It works good. I would still do by hand if Arthritus weren't an issue. i use mine only when I have several chains to do. That way the time per chain is minimal because you only reset from left to right once per batch. It doesn't take long but it's still faster than changing on each chain. I do 10 20" chains in about 30-35 minutes.
The thing you must guard against is removing too much. Set the grinder to remove as little as possible.
Checking Bailey's, I see the MAXX is on sale right now.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!