iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

e-classic question

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, April 19, 2012, 05:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

Does anyone know of a way to remote monitor an e-2400? It would be nice to view a remote digital screen from in the house....

upsnake

There have been some posts on here about setting up an outdoor webcam pointed at the display. Also i think cb sells a remote temp display. I think dean has one maybe..... Or somebody I have seen the pictures they have posted of it.

Flyer

If your just trying to monitor water temp, to know whether or not the furnace is still burning or not, you can just install an inline water temp gauge inside the house.  Shark bite makes some really easy to install fittings that would meet that need.  Literally all you need is a hacksaw to cut the pipe.  The fittings install by hand!

island

CB makes an indoor digital temp gauge ($70),sending unit goes in fitting where line comes into house,then a wire connects to the sending unit and runs to the digital gauge (put mine by thermostat).The wire is about 75' long.I recomend it,you can tell from indoor your nice warm house if the furnace is working right,without going out in the subzero temps to check on it.The dealer suggested I put one in when I installed the unit (which I didn't) but after 2 years of going out side to check the temp I got wise and installed one,am glad I did.

AsaG

I've CB digital thermometers in both the supply and return.  They seem to work very well.  I also built a little controller to remotely indicate a "Fire Out" or any other alarm that would shut my E-2400 down.  It works by monitoring the current draw of the OWB (4.6A while fired or during the air-pluse and 3.5A idle) with a current-sensing relay which in turn restarts the timing interval of a timing relay.  As long as the current-sensing relay "sees" the higher current and retriggers the timing relay at least once per hour, the indicator light stays off.  No mods to the OWB wiring is needed; only a JIC box, a few control goodies and access to the circuit feeding the OWB.  In my case there was an unused indicator light on the existing HVAC thermostat that I repurposed for the OWB status.  A red light on the stat means it's time to go outside and have a look. YMMV

doctorb

I have found this topic thought provoking.  I don't have a remote sensor for temp, but I do have temp gauges on my inflow and outflow in my basement.  I can see the temp of my stove without walking 300 feet to the shed just by walking down the basement stairs.

What I have learned is that, until there's some significant problem with the fire, my 2300 maintains temp very well.  So an intake water temp of 180 degrees tells me that my house is going to be warm and the oil furnace backup isn't going to kick on.  But it doesn't tell me how the fire is actually progressing.  I think the temp gauges save me some trips to the stove, but your still putting.on that coat and walking out there twice a day, regardless of what the temp readings are! 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DeerMeadowFarm

Hey Doc - My 2400 incoming temp cycles between 165 to 180 under (what I can determine is) "normal" operation. My concern is if the boiler goes out, my inside temp may read 170, for example but I can't determine if it's in normal cycle of if the fire is out and the temp is just slowly dropping.

Maybe once I get more used to running it I won't have as many FO situations due to either warm weather operation or bridgeing but to me it would be easier/nice to know....

Roger2561

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on May 08, 2012, 11:15:22 AM
Hey Doc - My 2400 incoming temp cycles between 165 to 180 under (what I can determine is) "normal" operation. My concern is if the boiler goes out, my inside temp may read 170, for example but I can't determine if it's in normal cycle of if the fire is out and the temp is just slowly dropping.

Maybe once I get more used to running it I won't have as many FO situations due to either warm weather operation or bridgeing but to me it would be easier/nice to know....

I hate it when I get those "FO" situations - it's usually followed by an "FU".  :o
Roger

muckamuck

I bought a cheap digitial cooking thermometer that has a wire and a needle probe (amazon has some oxo cooking thermometer etc about $39).  I cut the wire in the middle and spliced in 25 feet of 2 conductor thermostat wire, then ran the probe thru a hole in the floor where the baseboard hotwater pipes come thru and taped the needle probe onto the side of the incoming hot water from the eclassic and put insulation around the whole needle and pipe.  Now I can read the temperature at the kitchen table.  It does read about 18 degrees less than the actual boiler but I know how to add so it does the job.  I sometimes misjudge the amount of wood and the fire is getting cold in middle of day or early am before breakfast.  After a few days of reading temps you know when it is time to go out and feed the fire.  You can even program them to set off an alarm if temp gets too low or too high but I don't want things beeping so I don't do that option.

muckamuck

Don't get a regular thermometer, get a  cooking thermometer because it goes up to high temps.

Jack72

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 19, 2012, 05:06:17 PM
Does anyone know of a way to remote monitor an e-2400? It would be nice to view a remote digital screen from in the house....

I have a webcam for my stove its just a regular one that goes right to TV I just switch my input with my tv remote and I can watch all day long if I want and works at night very well ( mine is mounted to the garage so I dont know your situation but you may have to bury a post for mouting purposes)             The first one I bought was wireless It didnt work very well because mine is behind garage 100 feet away I sent back to amazon and switched it out with a wired one it comes with 75-100 feet of wire and you can buy extra wire to make longer mine total was 100 bucks it works great. hope this helps   If you send your email to me I can send you a picture of mine if you would like     

also if you have a smart phone you can view certain cams  from your phone when your not home.             
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!