iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outside clues to inside defects in red oak logs.

Started by Bibbyman, May 05, 2012, 02:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Looking on the outside for internal defects in logs.

Here are two examples of small clues on the outside that indicate major defects on the inside.

A little hard to see but in the center of the picture, just in the shadow line, are two bug holes about 3/8 diameter. 

Usually the damage is much worse.  Sometimes the whole log is junk.  They may take this for a beam and then again, they may reject it.  If they do,  I'll lose at least the profit from this log. 

There is a large knot on the bottom side of this log. You can see a seam running from the top of the knot down well into the log.  Also, to the right of the right end of the seam is a little blemish in the bark. 

This is what the inside looks like.  It won't make a marketable 16' 6x11.  I went ahead and sawed it to a 6x8 and will cut it back to 10' long.  The 6' end will be firewood.  The 10' 6x8 will not bring nearly as much per board foot and will not have nearly as many board feet.   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

Are those bug holes on a branch stub?  Swelled knots are usually rotten, as well.  They often go to a hollow spot in the log. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stavebuyer

Scarlet Oak tends be far worse about internal rot especially after you get past the first log. If you see any "wet spots" in the end of the log the results usually aren't good. Many loggers think any log will make a tie.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 05, 2012, 02:36:50 PM
Are those bug holes on a branch stub? 

These bug holes were just by themselves - not associated with any damage or feature.

I just stored the 6x11 and took a closer look at the bug damage and the holes are to big and deep to pass the "finger" test. That is, bug holes are ok as long as they are too small to stick a finger into. I can stick my finger all the way into this one.

Sawed 5 red oak logs trying to make beams, got 3 good ones.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Good pics of bark indicators and what they can lead to on the inside. Being able to read the bark on a log is important when picking logs for structural material. Grade log surfaces important too when buying logs.  Separates the men from the boys.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!