iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP! elephant ear houseplant

Started by redpowerd, February 26, 2004, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

i think thats what mother called it, if anyone can direct me into any knowledge of this plant, thanks. leaves turning brown on apices and eventually abcessing. the plant has never done this and ive lived with it all my adult life.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys

LEAVES: palmatley compound, alternate, 12 to 30"long 5 to 7 leaflets 4 to 10" long, 2 to 4" wide. sometimes larger. long stalked, elliptical, entire leaf margins. lusterous bright green glabrious above, duller below.
     BUDS: one scaled, purple, appear similar to "dunce caps"
     STEM: stout,coarse, whitish grey, glabrious green striations. into glabrious green purple. wide coarse leaf scars.
     SIZE: 4'
     HABIT: single stem, upright. wide pendulus leaves.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

L. Wakefield

May be an elephant ear caladium. I've never grown one. I am looking into it on dogpile metasearch.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

try this..  http://sunshine4j.tripod.com/elephantears.html

It would be very interesting if what you have is the taro or dasheen, because it has an edible tuber. Could your plant have gotten too cold?  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

Also for this and other pictures that are lovelt go to

http://branka59.homestead.com/gardenthumbnails1.html

lw

redpowerd

of couse it got to cold
them nites when its 40 below its hard to keep the big cabin over 35. but that it didnt hurt it last year?
thanks a bunch.

just checked out your first website, elephant ear plants do not fit my description of my plant.
thanks for the resources, though.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

is there a good site to find it or all houseplants?
i ll start by trying to find dogpile!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

thats a great site
thanks jeff, where do you find the time?
mus be that speed demon of a pc ya got ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

it may be a rhotodendron? or philodendron? there wasnt any pics, guess ill get to the books.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Rocky_J

Sounds like a split leaf philodendron. Common landscape plants here in Florida. Quite resistant to most bugs and diseases, rather tolerant of a variety of soil types, can freeze back. Around here you can throw one at the ground and it will grow.  :)

L. Wakefield

dogpile is www.dogpile.com It is a metasearch engine. Type in lower case quotes the words you wanty to search by, and it ranks them and goes right on thru all the search engines. I like Jeff's usda site!  lw

Thank You Sponsors!