iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT15 or Cook's MP32

Started by Woodman12, May 04, 2012, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodman12

Hello FF

I am new to the forum and this is actuall my first post.  I have been looking at mills for some time now and I have narrowed down my choices to two mills: WM LT15 and Cook's MP32, both stationary.

When comparing the two mills:
Price- WM LT15 6,795    Cook's MP32  6,595
Log Diameter-  LT15 28"      MP32 32"
Log Length-  LT15 17'8"     MP32 12'
HP- LT15 18hp     MP32 20hp
Durability (you tell me)

I have been leaning towards the LT15 due to: Its a woodmizer and I think you get more bang for the buck.  How much of a difference does 2hp make on these size mills.  Please, feel free to inlude any of your input. 

Thanks

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Woodman12.  I have never seen either sawmill and have only had personal experience with one of the companies, but I am sure that both produce a quality product.

I would hate to think that I could not saw a 16' log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_S.

Welcome to the FF!

This is the classic Ford/Chevy question. You will get thumbs up on both units from their respective owners and be no further ahead than when you started. You will undoubtedly get more thumbs up for WM because there are more WM owners but that doesn't in the least mean it is better than Cook's. In the end, I am sure you will be happy with either unit!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Woodman12, this is a great place to hang out and learn at the same time.

NOTE:  Most sawmills do offer "optional" bed extentions for those wanting to saw longer logs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

Welcome to the forum.
I think either mill will do you a fine job. I wonedr if you looked at the EZ boardwalk model 40? Thay are a sponsor here as well.  It cuts 36'' wide and 16'6'' long with either 20 hp or 24hp right in the exact same price range as the other 2. I had one and used the devil out of it. It hardly gave any trouble the wide throat made it invaluable cutting large slabs. I sold it a few months ago (3 years old) for 77% of its original cost and it made me a living for the time I had it.
I only traded up for some  hydraulic log handling capabilities. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ladylake

Gotta agree with Paul here.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

The MP-32 is a very rugged mill. I've had mine 10 years.  Added my own labor saving features but there are no design problems as-is.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

den

EZ Boardwalk JR, 30" X 12', $4000 + $250 for a 5' extension, gives you 30" X 17'
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

moandrich

When we were looking for new mills we felt the mp32 had more bang for the buck although I would think the resale on a woodmizer would be better.  You should absolutely look at he boardwalk,  I think for manual mills they would be hard to beat.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

captainsawdust

I owned an LT 15 for four years before I bought an LT70.  Loved the 15 and wish I had the room and the budget to keep both at the same time.  I dont think the 2hp difference will make any difference in cutting.  If you run a sharp blade, the feed rate will be determined by your muscle power and the width of the log, 2hp more wont speed up anything on a mill of this size.  WM did give me 80%+ trade-in of my original purchase price on the 15 when I moved up.

MotorSeven

CS, 80%....wow. I wish you had not said that....makes me wonder what I could get on a trade up to the LT35HD? I've been on WM's website a few times and almost clicked on "have a salesman contact you"...but keep chickin-ing out;)

Woodman, I can only speak for the LT15. I have the 15 horse(it's an older mill) and it has done everything I ask and done it well. My only complaint is the log clamps. It came with the old screw in type which hold great but take time to set. I bought the new up graded cam action ones, but they just don't hold under certain situations. For instance when slabbing out a tall narrow cant, like a 8x16 they tend to let go and the cant can either ride up off the bunk or worse flip while cutting jamming the blade in the cut. My fix so far is to step up on the cant while cutting and walk it while pushing the head down the track....that way it can not move.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Woodman12

Thank you all very much for your input.  After alot of thought, and even more encouragement from my wife, I ordered the LT15 yesterday and I am going to pick it up this week.  I felt like the woodmizer is definately a quality product and it will meet all of my needs.  I am very excited!

Once again, Thank all of you! 

Magicman

I am excited for you.  Now you gotta dust off the old camera and snap a few. 

And Congratulations for having such a smart Wife.   smiley_love   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

woodman12,welcome to the forum and congrats on the mill. What kind of wood will you be sawing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

colinofthewoods

One thing I really wish I had considered when I purchased my mill was-  money back garantee.
It didn't come with one.   and the company wouldn't take it back despite all of the problems I had.

I know wood mizer and timber king do it,  not sure who else.  But you never know, when you get this mill home after 1000 bd/ft it might not be right for you and you want to have the option to do something about it.  You can do all of the research you can , and compare all of the numbers - but in the end you have to run the mill for a little while before you know if you made the right decision. Having to option to return it is the only way to go.

Happy Milling !

samandothers

Congrats on the selection.  I too have been going through the decision process.  Many great possibilities out there.  I had spreadsheet with options, prices, shipping, taxes and I tried to compare apples to apples on options and mills.

Look forward to pictures 8)

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Woodman12

I will be sure to get some pics up as soon as get it home.  I pick it up tomarrow!  8)

TheCFarm- right now I am going to be sawing whatever I can get my hands on.  I have had some logs pilled up in my yard for about a year waiting for the day I got a mill.  I have some white oaks, a red, and some cedar.  My first project is going to be a shed to cover my mill.  I plan on using some oak timbers for it.  We will see.

MotorSeven

Congrats!

I addition to the shed think about forming up and pouring a slab for the mill. They sure make life easier.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!