iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat Transmission

Started by kiko, May 03, 2012, 07:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

This is a 525B Cat skidder that is in for transmission repair. It still blows my mind how much work is involved in removing the trans.

bushmechanic

Ahh it's just modern technicial gear,so advanced that it's now near impossible to work on!

Norm

Wouldn't you love to have the CAT engineer who designed it come out and help... :D

lumberjack48

They put it together all one piece, i think thats the easiest way to take apart to.

I wouldn't want the bill $$$$$
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

It can turn into a circus real fast for sure  :-\
Bill

snowstorm

i knew a guy that had a 648 jd said he changed his out. said it was quite easy. he wasnt found of turning wrenchs

kiko

I finished building the trans today and will start installing it tommorow. Its not hard as long as all the hoses get marked, it just takes a lot of time.  This job usally takes about 100 man hours to complete. The Deeres are much easier if they have the tilt cab(  G II series and newer ). However the Deere won't put the wood to loader like the Cat.  You know what they say... if it ain't a Cat it must be a dog. I will try to get some pics of it going back.

David-L

Hi Kiko,
And I thought replacing a fire ring was involved. Thanks for your help. All is well.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

kiko

Had to put out some other fires today, but did manage to get the trans in and bolted up.  Thought I might get get a rise out of that Cat comment. David-L glad I was able to help and glad you are up and running.

Tramp Bushler

Nope , Cats are good machines . I hear that Volvos are a nightmare to work on . Nuf to make an Englishman speak Norsk .  Nice machines to operate tho .

I'de like to have a 518 and a 325 log loader . Just can't afford one .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

snowstorm

thats ok with the cat remark. i have 2 cats and 2 deeres 2 valmets and a yard full of fords

Norm

I have a D-6H so I can't get too ruffled about it but man are they proud of their paint. Course so is Deere and Link Belt.

240b

Thats why I traded my 515 when the 3rd gear pack started to slip. the dealer wanted 3k just to remove and install the transmission. I think like another 12k for the gear box..  my tj is a 45 min project and 1600.00 for a brand new transmission. But you can't compare the two at all. the 515 would pull in a day what the tj takes 4 days.. But you got to pull that much to pay the repair bills. more money more problems.... good luck.

Tramp Bushler

Is a 515 wheeled or track ?? Which TJ are you comparing it to . Grapple or line machine ?

kiko

Finished the trans job today, but on the test drive the torque convertor was not locking into direct drive. Found that the traNS SPEED SENSOR WAS INSTALLED TO DEEPLY AND THE END HAD BEEN DAMAGED BY THE GEAR. REPLACED THE SENSOR AND EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD. TRAMP THE 515 IS A WHEEL SKIDDER.

Tramp Bushler

Is the 515 bigger or smaller than the 518 .?? Seems like it would be smaller . But if it is I can't see it out logging a TJ240 by much  ???

donny hochstetler

Iwould imagine the 515 would pull 40 % more than a 240 likes to drink as well

Tramp Bushler

How many horse power are they ?

240b

515 is a 525 with a short rear frame (wheel base is 8" less than a 525)  it a 518 drivetrain for the most part.
it would burn 50 gals. a day easy, pulling bunches.   The CAT website has specs for non-current models. It was a great skidder but expensive to keep up. 

kiko

I believe the 515 and 525 "A" model had a 3304 engine, B series had 3126s and the C series have C-7s. I was on a job today replacing exhaust manifold gaskets on a Tigercat 845C and they had a brand new Cat 545C with an 18sq/ft grapple and dual tires. What a beast. Three drags would load the truck. I believe that skidder is running about 240 HP.

JDeere

A friend of mine bought a Cat 545 just about a year ago and man can that thing pull wood and lots of it. The only problem he has was he had to upgrade his pickup to a 1-ton because his 1/2-ton was too light to haul the payment to the bank.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Clam77

That 3304 Cat SHOULD have close to 150 hp... depending on what the fuel rail is set at.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!