Sponsors:

blade won't uncoil

Started by woodmills1, May 02, 2012, 07:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

can't believe it

have uncoiled hundreds of bands

redoing all my old leftovers, getting some that cut nice

have one that refuses to uncoil, even flung it into sawdust pile, still coiled :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ladylake

If you ever get it uncoiled it should cut good as most that don't want to coil don't cut good .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

roger 4400

It is a lazy band.... ;)
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Delawhere Jack

Tack welding prankster? ;D

Woodwalker

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 02, 2012, 08:40:32 PM
Super glue would be harder to spot. ;D ;D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Woodwalker on May 02, 2012, 10:22:14 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 02, 2012, 08:40:32 PM
Super glue would be harder to spot. ;D ;D
Spoken like a man with experience, Woodwalker...  ;D

Herb

tyb525

Have you tried uncoiling it by hand? That's how I always do it, it scares me to do the "toss and run" thing.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

barbender

Watch the WM video on coiling blades and then find somewhere to practice :)
Too many irons in the fire

tcsmpsi

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 02, 2012, 07:26:55 PM
can't believe it

have uncoiled hundreds of bands

redoing all my old leftovers, getting some that cut nice

have one that refuses to uncoil, even flung it into sawdust pile, still coiled :o

Any success yet, or have you let it lie?   Probably left-hand threads.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Brucer

I have a blade like that. I was resawing a very dry cedar timber for a customer and I didn't clamp it tight enough (for fear of crushing the wood). The timber tore out of the clamp and left a slight but permanent reverse bend in the blade.

Now the blade "wants" to stay coiled. Uncoil it (with difficulty) and drop it on the ground and it tries to coil itself up again ???.

The DanG thing cuts perfectly true. Go figure.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

Ty,

I have the toss and run thing down pat  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

no matter how I try I cannot get the two to form a cross when the top third is pulled away

believe me I know how to do it and have done it since 1995  not this one
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Instead of dropping the teeth side down, turn it around and try dropping the back (smooth) side down.  Maybe.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

I had several from one particular manufacturer like that.  Tossing them didn't work.  They also recoiled themselves just by sorta twitching 'em.  I didn't know how to properly uncoil a blade then; at least not reliably.  I just grabbed a couple of coils, yanked, and covered my head. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

MartyParsons

Hello,
   The correct term is Coil Set, I have seen blades that would be uncoiled and roll into the coil with out any help.  It would happen if the blade was heated on one side and not the other.  ( Like if your hi performance guides were tight on the bottom).  Once you get this coil set the blade it will not cut very well.
Hope this is what you are talking about.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

rbarshaw

You need a vise and 3 people in full safety gear, put one coil in the vice with the teeth up and not in the vise so as to not destroy the set, one person on each of the three remaining sides to work at uncoiling it, all three have to work in concert and once it is uncoiled, carry it to the mill which has been setup tp recieve it, put it on with all three still controlling it, need a 4th to tighten the blade in place. This might work  :D :D :D

Full safety gear is defined as whatever it takes to prevent injury.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Chuck White

I think I'd just put a zip-tie on it and put it in the recycle bin, before someone gets hurt!  Just give it up!  whiteflag_smiley
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Better yet, bring it to the Pig Roast and let everyone see/try it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

Quote from: WDH on May 03, 2012, 10:17:55 PM
Ty,

I have the toss and run thing down pat  :).
I'm glad that I didn't have any coffee in my mouth when I read that one  :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

woodmills1

yes I know how

yes Itried all combo's from inside and out

glad to hear at least there is an explaination   it still is coiled :D :D :D :D

woodmills1

just for grins I threw it way up in the air today...still coiled.... :o

rjwoelk

woods did you ever get that blade to uncoil. :D :D :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!