iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Today is Flag Day , lots of people still raise the flag in the morning and bring it in at night.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

The drank was not purple this time, thank you Mr. Deese, but it would kick your butt log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No Purple Drank??  :o  What is this sawmilling world coming to  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red on June 14, 2017, 06:13:36 AM
Today is Flag Day , lots of people still raise the flag in the morning and bring it in at night.

I do every day.

But maybe not if I had too much purple Drank in me. smiley_alcoholic_01
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nativewolf

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 13, 2017, 09:25:57 PM
It was 80°cut a little pine and did the fan thing on some 1x12x8.

Loggers I called are on hard wood, No W Pine for a week or two.
So I called a concentration yard,  :D :D
They have a yard in NH, With an office in Beecher Falls VT. Hardwood mill in Can, Champeau .

Call and things happen,  :D :D :D

When buying logs this way, No scaling.  :D :D
I do check bf with the slip, On the money as always.
Keep me for a week, :D :D ;)

I was going to make a joke about rejecting all that pulpwood....but I am too jealous.
Liking Walnut

Peter Drouin

Had a little volt drop on the alternator, It has 4500 + hours on it. So on with a new one from WM.

And a strip. going to clean all the grounds too.
When I was going to fix the cover on the mill I found this.

Doesn't the belt look off some. The 3 bolts were loose. I straighten it out and.

I did put new shoes on the ground, and power strip too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Darrel

Yes, the belt does look straighter in the 2nd pic
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

Now you've ruined it. Your wobbling shaft is gonna run straight and destroy that new alternator and probably the whole motovator franticalia assembly.
Find something to do that interests you.

Peter Drouin

Had some logs come in from Mass,  34' W Pine

5 today, 5 more Tues. I think Jim Rodgers had something to do with it,  :D :D
The trucker, Know's you,  ;D

Getting ready for supper and more customer logs show up. :)

1"--2"--and 3" all sq edge

40' add on started

Well, with all the wood to cut I think I'll go out and do my favorite thing to do on a Monday night at 7pm  Sharpen blades,
smiley_biggrin01
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I'll go and join you with blade sharpening after I'm done eating..also my favorite activity on a monday night lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

The other 5. :D

Waiting for a cut list,  ::) ::) :D :D
There for a job in Mass, Work done by Preservation Timber Framing of Maine.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

More Pine, 8)
Don't want to get too far ahead with Pine, It will blue stain. And I can't sell that stuff. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

Peter,
You can just sink logs into the ground for posts for your shelter and they will not rot?  What are they?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Savannahdan

Could be a new way of stacking log to maximize your storage space and to minimize getting the logs dirty.  One of my neighbors had an oak log set that way so's he can make a totem pole or something of that ilk.  Doubt he'll ever get that done.  But it'll be fun watching the progress.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Andries

Quote from: Savannahdan on June 29, 2017, 06:31:38 AM
Could be a new way of stacking log to maximize your storage space and to minimize getting the logs dirty.
:D  :D  :D  :D
I like your take on that one Dan!
Peter has some crazy skills, but storing logs on end  . . .
Bring your hard hat for those windy days, people.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Yeah, YH, Hemlock, they will at the ground line, so I treat them a little at that spot.
At 62 years old I think the hemlock will outlast me.  :D :D :D :D 8) ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

I been looking and found 2.

Hand held Tachometer  8) 8)

The man that had them also had a nice one lunger.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Is that a Fairbanks Z? I have a Stewart Warner tach in a can, also.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

I tried the tack and my cat Idel is low, :D :D
It's going to be handy to get the shingle mill up to speed. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Darrel

Back in my early days as a planerman in the furniture factory, we had this big old Newman belt drive 4 headed planer.  The micro-managing boss came by and said that he wanted it running at 160 fpm. So I set it as close as I could by counting the boards and multiplying by the length. Well it wasn't too long and here came the millwright and he had a can with a tach in it.  He took the rubber tip off the end of the shaft and put a little wheel on in its place and his tach was converted to a fpm meter. So he put the little wheel against the bottom feed roll of the planer and when the board went through the top feed roll came down and squished his little device and dang near his hand too.  I couldn't help myself, I laughed.  :D :D :D   He stomped off!

Just a "flashback" triggered by seeing the pictures of the tach in a can.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Bandmill Bandit

This is more than day of cutting wood and there are quite a few more days to go.
I will let the pictures talk.
The first sawmill to operate in this region for 45 years.
A major shift in the federal and provincial parks policy and I am doing the pilot project.

So far ALL the "Ties" have been impressed.

IF any you visit the park I am there for atleast another month.
Enjoy!

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Now, that is a pile of logs. That will keep you going a while. 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

Proposed policy is ALL trees removed within the park that are convertible to usable product must be processed in the park and used in the park.

So far the saw dust is going to the Boundry Ranch for use in the box stalls in the horse barns that house the 90 or so trail ride stock and all the off cut & to small to saw sticks are being chipped for landscape mulch. 4" to 6" logs getting 2 cuts each to make 3 X fence rails. 6" to 10" getting cut 4/4 live edge for wind/wildlife deterrent fencing. 10" and up are going into 6x6 and up material for posts and beam shelters along the trials.

The big stuff is being set aside at the moment. There is a bridge location that has been approved by Parks Canada but the bridge design has not been done yet. When they took me to the site and asked what I thought was possible I suggested a timber frame covered bridge as there are none I western Canada that I am aware of. The Alberta regional parks officer and his Federal counter part said they liked the idea but did not know any one certified to build such a structure. I introduced them to a friend of mine that is not only certified but is, in my opinion, the best guy in Canada for that job. He was on site Friday and the "Ties" and their assistants were very excited by the end of the days brain storming session.

Drawings are in progress and I could have a cut list by the end of next week. The bridge will carry pedestrian, cycle, horse and buggy traffic. We are in phase 1 of a 4 phase renovation and expansion project. I could be there for a few years.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

It takes a good sawyer to feed through logs like that and get the most out of them.
Good job. smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

grouch

Sounds like they can pat themselves on the back this time for finding the right person for the job. And that includes your bridge-building buddy.

I like that policy of using the trees from the park, in the park.
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!