iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Exactly.

Nice logs Peter.
Why do you say that those logs are a little big for stringers?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

The builder was talking 6", Most are 8 to10" All the old barns here are 4 or 5".
Just to hold the 1" boards up between the rafters.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

Wow. I guess I am some kinda dumb on what you are talking about. I think I know but a picture would settle me for sure.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

4x4American

I'm lost too..to me, a purlin is a nailer that sits on top of the rafters to nail tin too.  Maybe you're just 2 facing them for him?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

The roof beams from the top of the wall to the ridge are 12' apart, the purlins go left to right 4' on center then they lay 1" on top. The purlins will have one face cut flat, roof side. When you stand inside and look up you will see the round 3 faces.
I don't have a pic,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

It's popular in log home building too
3 round sides one flat that the boards nail to
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Maybe this will help.  You can see the purlin supported on each end.  It spans across to the other side and supports the rafters:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Got it.
The problem is that I hear the roof nailers called purlins when the rafters are spread apart. Not too uncommon for wood barn structures here to only have a truss every 8 or 10 feet and 2x4 on edge between or on top of them for nailers/purlins. Red iron barns often have a 20' stretch.
That is here and we have 18'' of snow every so often.
PC

pc

paul case

Quote from: 4x4American on April 28, 2017, 06:28:17 AM
True, Paul I love your setup.  How come you don't make a bigger opening?
We try the door opening every time we saw 12' logs. Just not very often for us. 8'8'' and 10'6'' are normal sizes for us.

I didn't want to hijack Peter's thread, but this has been fun HUH?

PC
pc

Dave Shepard

Magicman, that is a purlin plate, which runs the entire length of the building and supports the rafters mid-span. What Peter is describing is a principal rafter, commin purlin roof. There are four principal rafters, often as part of a truss, and then short purlins that run between the rafters.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

And then we call the ~14½" blocks between our studs, "purlins".  Maybe they are or maybe it's local?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

There are regionalisms for sure,  but we are also dealing with the difference between conventional framing and timber framing. Not everything translates.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redprospector

One thing I've learned about Construction is that what you call any particular component depends so where you're standing on this globe, and what you're building.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 29, 2017, 01:02:58 PM

this is the way i was taught  :)
its called lath on a stick building where the rafters are 16 or 24 centers and when they are 1x4 or 1x6 nailed down flat :)  around here the most common use of purlins ( as far as the name ) is on metal buildings and are set 5' apart :)
around here the blocks between the studs/floor joists that mm described are called hobbles it is amazing how different it can be from one area to the next :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Chuck White

Here, we simply call purlins "roof boards"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

grouch

Kbeitz: Put those on the walls and they become girts. :)
Find something to do that interests you.

Dave Shepard

I'm cutting a timber frame, too.  Loads four and five today.  My yard is officially plogged.

Peter Drouin

I didn't want to hijack Peter's thread, but this has been fun HUH?
PC

All are welcome to post all they want in a day cutting wood

Dave you have some long ones there.  :o :o
Can you show some pics of you cutting some?

Last load today.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Quote from: redprospector on April 29, 2017, 01:56:56 PM
One thing I've learned about Construction is that what you call any particular component depends so where you're standing on this globe, and what you're building.

Kinda like common names for trees. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OlJarhead

Man you guys make me feel like a slacker with all those logs!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 02, 2017, 01:56:27 PM
Man you guys make me feel like a slacker with all those logs!

My logs are in one place, your logs are in a different spot is all.  ;D
We all see the work you do and slacker is not what comes to mind.

Llke you I cut on the road too. [With all it's avengers]  :D ;)
Now i'm in one spot and liking it.
Had a Friend stop by to say Hi.
4x4 and I had a good visit.

Said he just delivered some Maple down the street. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

Well I see ya got a tool in his hand but no evidence of any work since there isnt a log anywhere in that picture?

PC
pc

4x4American

Man, look at how handsome that guy on the left is  :D

I wish I could have visited for longer, seems like we could go on for hours and never hit the same subject twice.

People, the place is looking good, I had to do a RFFSVV (Randomized-Forestry-Forum-Sawdust-Verification-Visit) to make sure Peter is fulfilling his sawdust inoculation quota.  I'm happy to report he passed the test with flying colors.  We also searched the place for grits and could find not one grit.  And we knew we were in the great white north as we saw snow on top of Killington yet as we passed by. 

I was happy to deliver some hard maple lumber to his neighbor :D :D

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!