iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

The only problem,should of bought it sooner.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I think telehandlers are the best machine for a sawmill, if you can have only one. The capacity to lift the big logs, or big stacks. The height to unload tall trailers,  and s bucket, if you need one. I also think they have the best visibility of the forks because you sit off to the side.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

And the reach to put new logs to the back of the pile.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SlowJoeCrow

Do they make a grapple for that?  I could see how one would be useful.

Bandmill Bandit

This is an Alberta Heritage restoration project. 
customer has qualified the project for a heritage restoration grant. it will be an AirB&B when its done.

This is a near complete 1959 Massey 35 restoration project done by the customer. He has done a good job. He is an aviation mechanic by trade.

pics of the milling site

11 hours of sawing and 7 blades from hard ware strikes. This was originally a cow/calf operation.
3400 BF of ALL lodge pole pine. That was the first 1/3 of the logs I will be milling for this customer. The rest will be logged this winter now that he has his little tractor running. I directed him to the forum so he can gain access to all the knowledge he needs to complete his project. (NOTE to SELF! Get metal detector!!) Any comments on a real good metal detector? 7 blades X $50 = $250 Bucks. i think i can aford the best metal detector there is.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

DPatton

?????You might be loosing some cash on your blade math Bandit :D :D :D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

4x4American

What are you using those carbide tipped blades?  Blades around here 1-1/2" .055" 158" are half that
Boy, back in my day..

grouch

Quote from: DPatton on September 18, 2017, 03:06:56 PM

He'll make up for it in volume.
Find something to do that interests you.

Bandmill Bandit

opps! I was typing in the dark. 7 X $50 = $350 and that is for the bimetal .055, 1 1/2" (with an extra tooth)
Also that is in CDN $$.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: grouch on September 19, 2017, 08:48:32 AM

He'll make up for it in volume.

Most of this milling session was large dimension timbers for the roof and the floor/foundation. 3X10, 4X6, 6X6, 6X8. The volume added up fast. The last few logs were cut to 5/4 X6 for about 400 BF to do the flooring. He will need more flooring as there is a 10'x16' loft in the cabin.   

Peter Drouin

No rain for a while makes for a lot of dust.

Long ones on top.
Going to spread some chips to help keep the dust down.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Dusty here too, hasnt rained in a while.  I see you stack stuff on logs too lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

paul case

Is that your new mill or did you just post the pic so 4x4 would drool all over his phone?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

Think this will move some wood chips 4x4.  :D :D

Call ya later.
;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

Peter has done hit the big time. 
Congratulations.   8)

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Call me later with some action pictures.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Hot dog!  Yea I think that would move a couple two three chips at a time lol

Here's some pics of the wooden bucket I told you I use for catching the top piece from the resaw and we also use it behind the chop saw for firewood/scraps. 

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size]
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Mill waste is a big deal if your full time sawing. I had to be able to load TT. I had an outfit would come and get it with their loader and trucks. With the farm tractor I could not do that.
I had calls for chips, but could not load them.
With the cat and this $4500.00 bucket [new is $6500] will open a lot of doors for me.
The thing with a sawmill is to keep logs, lumber, sawdust, and chips moving.

Hi cfarm,  Thanks YH
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Nice bucket
I almost stoped in Monday afternoon on my way back from picking up my resharpend bands.
Want to see the new Cat some time
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Morning at A&P saw mill.

Here you go CFarm.

4½ yards ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Now that's a pile of chips.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!