iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things that Go Bump

Started by Magicman, April 30, 2012, 10:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

In my rear view mirror it looked like the sawmill had some vibration.  It could not be tires because I had replaced them a few years ago.  I thought no more about it, but I did need to do a bit of maintenance work before my next road trip.  The catch on the operator's seat and a fender needed some welding, so I removed them.  I then noticed one of the tires.  :o :o

It had not one, but two swelled places on the edge of the tread.  Lucky me.  I made a quick trip to a local utility trailer dealer and he had one tire/wheel.  I paid him his $110 and will use the bubble tire for a spare for now.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now that could have got NASTY at 55mph! POW.....SCREECH.....BAM....... smiley_furious  Good eye! :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bugdust

Can't recall ever seeing that before. Caused by soft sidewall? Ply breakdown?
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Magicman

I suppose that the belts separated.  Anyway, the pressurized air inside of the tire made it's way to the surface causing a couple of soft bubbles.  The tire had never had a flat.  This is about the same thing that happened with the original tires.  They were wobbly when they rotated and the swell on the side of the tread caused the tire to bounce like it was out of balance.

It certainly would have blown with a few high speed miles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hamish

Might have could have, but all the same should be replaced.  ount a 1969 Apache tent trailer in the bush, with newspapers From 1976 in it so Fogure its been there awhile, both tires were Flat, and burried in the ground, pumped them up dragged it 2 1/2 miles to the road, hooked up to the truck....gosh darnit the lights still worked, 60+mph on the way home or 2 hours, never had a Flat the light still worked but we lost a part oF the tent.

Luck it all it was, regular inspection and maintenance should be a part o all things towed.

The "F" is because the F key stopped working in my keyboard.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

I have read many times that about 7 years is the life of a tire, no matter how good the tread is or how many miles are on them.

Brucer

I had a truck tire do that 6 years ago when I was going to pick up my second mill. I was going to spend the night in Salmon Arm and drive over to the dealer's first thing in the morning. Just as it got dark, with about an hour left to go, I started to get a really weird shaking from the right front wheel. Got out and inspected it -- not a flat, ball joints were tight, eyeballed the alignment and it looked OK. I finally drover into town at half speed and it felt like I was on a roller coaster the whole time.

Next morning I found a repair shop right next to the WM dealer. He said he'd deal with it while I was getting the rundown on my new mill. It turns out the "bump" was on the left front tire which I never inspected.

I'm glad it didn't happen when I was towing the mill back home.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WildDog

Lucky pick up MM before it took a turn for the worst. It got me thinking, I can't recal having had a tyre blow out on a trailer. Even new trailers down here most times come with second hand tyres ??? I just replaced the tyres on my trailer for hauling the mill, incidently $110 each, same price you paid, I went with 8 ply this time round to handle the rocky roads.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

terrifictimbersllc

Wood-Mizer sells Goodyear Marathon radials on the rim, for a good price especially if you need a rim.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bibbyman

We've had a lot of problems with bumps on the sidewalls of the tires on our 3500 Dodge. Foreign made junk.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Al_Smith

You want to get milage from a trailer tire put a tube in it .

My machinery trailer runs 14.5 tubeless type which are mobil home tires .They are only made for 500 miles or so to deliver a trailer .They make 10 ply "low boy " tires but they cost a fortune .

You tube up one of those 6 ply trailer tires you can run them until the cords show and never get tread seperation .

Now once you blow a bubble a tube is too late because given enough time tube or not the bubble will blow off .The tire won't go flat just blow rubber all over the road .There you go ,flap,flap, flap .

Misfit

Good catch! Coming back from a camping trip to NC last July 4th weekend, we turned off I-85 to take 441 South and decided to stop early for fuel and lunch. I always do a walk-around of the truck and 5th wheel whenever we stop and this time I noticed a goose egg sized lump on the side of both left side RV tires.
Fortunately we were able to get them replaced, even though it was the 4th. I still think about what might have happened if we'd been rolling down the highway and had two simultaneous blowouts on a 12,000lb trailer at 65-70 mph!  :o
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

NWP

I've had that happen several times with Carlisle tires.  All the foreign ones are junk. 
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Al_Smith

Oh it can happen on any brand of tire .I had a Michelin go bumpity bump on a Cadillac in hills of Kentucky of all places .

Now that's not a problem .The problem was finding a level spot to jack up the car to change the tire .If you want a level spot in them thar hills you about have to make one .

Axe Handle Hound

I've dealt with that same problem many times with my boat trailer.  I believe most of the problems come from the fact that the boat is too heavy for the trailer they put it on.  I blew and replaced tire after tire and everyone had a blown sidewall.  I think what was happening was I was hitting bumps at highway speed and the up and down bouncing of the trailer was putting too much pressure on the tires.    Finally I had them put on Class E rated tires with a super stiff sidewall designed to take higher pressures and the problem seems to have gone away.  I have to drive a bit slower to keep the boat trailer from bouncing all over the road, but that's alright with me. 

Magicman

Sadly, many times tire pressure or lack thereof, is the real problem.  Low air pressure causes the tire to run hotter and there it goes.  It is something that is easily overlooked.

I aired my tires to 65 psi this Spring, but the fact that they needed to be aired up is the kicker. 

Al_Smith

You'll blow the sidewalls faster from under inflation then over inflation .

Years ago on the Chevy 15" rims used on pick up trucks and often for trailers they'd blow the rims apart .Sounds odd but it did happen .If you ran them with 90-100 PSI although over inflated they did better .

Thank You Sponsors!