iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High pressure bark spud.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 30, 2012, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I started to peel some of the white pine floor joists today for one of my projects and found I needed a better system than a draw knife. The draw knife worked well on the outer bark, but not on the slippery inner bark. I had heard of using a pressure washer in the past, and I just noticed another topic just now, coincidentally. The pressure washer would just lift the edge of the bark, but not remove it completely, so I welded a small piece of 1/8"x2" stock on the nozzle and bent it into a slight curve. This pries up the bark allowing the nozzle to keep lifting more bark. It works really well, and removes all the inner bark. I can't seem to load photos from my phone, so I'll have to load them later.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Can't wait to see this invention.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Dave,

Would like to know if this leaves the pressure wash look or keeps it closer to drawknife.  I have pressure washed the bark and inner bark off logs before; however, I didn't like the look sort of smooth, fuzzy look.

Dave Shepard

Finally figured out how to load from my phone. It's a simple modification, but saves a ton if time. The finish is very smooth, no fuzz.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!