iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quarter sawn oak, my back hurts

Started by Tom L, April 30, 2012, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

quarter sawed two 30" diameter oak logs yesterday, real pretty wood with lots of character  in the grain.
two logs were heavy. pushing the limits of everything. but I got it done.(and today I am paying the price)
all the wood is going to a customer to take care of his woodworking habit. should make some beautiful stuff.

Woodchuck53

Very nice indeed. A thought on back problems and wood work like ours. If using a pry bar and cant hook a lot I built a weighted pulled down in the home gym to do a series of pull downs. This was sujested by an old coach of ours that knew most of his players hauled hay on the weekends. That way he had a full team and no one hurting from back strain. I have done it ever since and always wondered why my brothers never would do something as simple a pre-stretch before a physical task. Case in point my oldest is a engineer on river push boats and came home to work on his sewer system. He fixed it and missed work for a rotation because the shovel kicked his but. Not used to that sort of muscle strain. Just my 2 cents. Stay safe out there, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

WDH

Nothing like quarter sawing oak!  Nice job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Making the customer happy is what it is all about.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

You need to do like Danny and I do. We invite friends over and they help with the heavy lifting. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

What causes the 'ray' affect in the wood.  I am talking about different texture/look across the grain in the 3rd photo.

hackberry jake

I'm going to try to get to this one before wdh. I believe its from the "medullary rays" that occur in the tree perpendicular to the growth rings. From what I gather, it's how the tree transports nutrients/water from the inside of the tree to the cambrium layer(outside). I may be mistaken tho.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Qweaver

Hey Tom, I quarted sawed a big red oak on my LT15 one time.  I swore "never again".
But it's a piece of cake on the Peterson and there is very little waste. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!