iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition...the Old Forestry C

Started by Greg@lhoti.com, February 25, 2004, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg@lhoti.com

Okay, youse guys............
I'm looking for the original blueprints, not just the floorplan (I have that).  I want the cross sections, elevations, foundation (probably weren't any), roof framing plans, etc.  Willing to lay down hard cash....or trade for co-credits when I create a beautiful 3D quick time movie of said structure in time for the 200th centenial.  I intend to share with the world on this "largest of all log cabins" (at least virtually speaking).
Greg Steckler

Jim_Rogers

I'm sorry, maybe I'm slow today, but floorplan, or blueprints of what?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Greg@lhoti.com

My apologies....the subject header should have said 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition Building which later became the Old Forestry Center in Portland Oregon.  It was touted to be the largest "log cabin" in the world having been built out of 8'-9' and even 10' diameter logs.  It burnt down in the 1960's.  It was truely a massive and very impressive structure. It had 2nd story balconies and huge widnow seats, giant log columns, but no foundation!  I would like to obtain the original blue prints.  Besides framing them for my office wall, I would like to create a virtual computer 3D model and do a quicktime movie to post on the web.  (My humble contribution to the 200th aniversery of the Lewis & Clark expedition).  In fact, I am interested in old blueprints of ANY log structure.  So if you have any or know where I can find some let me know.  $$$$$ :D
Greg Steckler

etat

Greg. thanks for clearing that up.  I REALLY wish I had the plans cause I REALLY like $$$$$. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Greg@lhoti.com

Surprisingly, my wife will let me spend $$$ on this!  So how about it, anyone got the blue prints for Jack London's Wolf House, Yellowstone Lodge,  the train staion in Tukwilla, circa 1903?  How about the Awahnee?
Greg Steckler

Jeff

I would bet most old log places never had a blue print. Take for example, although its not a log home, the largest house in the U.S., the winchester Mansion. It never had a print, it was built on the guidence of an old lady trying to hide from ghosts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen_Wiley

Greg,

My grandfather worked for 35 years as the private caretaker of much of the Benson properties, mostly for Chester son of Simon.

Simon, provided the logs for the (L&C exposition) building and I believe he set them up and assisted in the building.  Some of my family members have the book about Simon and descriptions of the building process and Simon's influence.

Simon, was the only one who successfuly built sea going log rafts. Which were called cigar rafts, the first one coming to the mouth of the Columbia caused a town panic in Astoria.  As several people saw a tug boat feverishly running from an enormous whale.  His success was timely in that their final destination was to fire destroyed San Franciso California. Where he started a mill and rebuilt this portion of California.

In his 80's, he started a custom home building business and built many mansions in the Hollywood area in California.

He provided the water fountain's and donated them to the city of Portland, built both the Benson and Columbia River Hotels, donated Multnomah, Bridal Vale, Horsetail Falls and all the land  therein as a private recreational area to the city of Portland. Now owned and operated by the State. Was very instrumental in having the first Columbia River Scenic Highway built.  

I know I have seen documents at the Benson Estates which showed details of the old Forestry Center. They may also be contained in one his books.

Man did I have fun as a kid, going to work with Grandpa and finding secret places to hide in the walls.  My brother and I use to scare and bewilder our sisters using these inner wall spaces to suprise them as we moved through the house inside the walls.  

Remember with wonderment the many things of importance in their home. And as a youngster always wondered why they never were home .
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Greg@lhoti.com

Quoteknow I have seen documents at the Benson Estates which showed details of the old Forestry Center. They may also be contained in one his books.

By any chance do you remember the names of those books, Stephen?  I may just have to take a trip up to Portland and do some research.  I have received as a gift from my wife about a dozen photographs she purchased from the Oregon Historical Society of the Old Forestry Center including a flooplan layout.  It's enough to start my computer modeling but as you know gigo works here and better info always helps.

As my other business, log home design, improves (we are having a record year, BTW) it would be fun to do 3D computer modeling of all the important old lodges in North America.  Imagine a movie from a bat's perspective flying around under the rafters and purlins inYellowstone Lodge?  Now THAT would be kewl!
Greg Steckler

Duane_Moore

Greg. you might try the chamber of com. at Dubois, Wyo.or the Togwotee Pass lodge, Wyo. the only person I can think of that may help would be Leonard Ross of Moran Jct, Wyo. but Leonard is in his 90s now  and a very private person. he done a lot of painting of these lodges in the 60s&70s. sorry can't help more, also try the Jackson Lake Lodge maybe they can help.  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Thank You Sponsors!