iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372

Started by missouriboy, April 29, 2012, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouriboy

I'm looking at maybe buying a new saw and just wounder what you guys thought of the 372. I will be mostly bucking logs and using for storm clean up and stuff like that.

Ron Scott

It's a great saw and preferred by many woodcutters.
~Ron

barbender

I have the Jonsered 2171, same saw as the 372. The new 372 has some updates, and Jonsered makes a 2172 now with the same upgrades. I like mine, it is a good running saw.
Too many irons in the fire

bill m

I have had two of them. I like the balance and power of them but they do not seem to last as long as my Stihl ms440s. I don't get more than about two years out of them.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

I have one,probably 6 years old now. It gets used just about daily,but only 3-4 hours a day.  Just starting to have small problems with it,like the anti vibration springs broke.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Probably one of the most popular Husky saws ever built and with good reason. Nicely balanced and good power with a 24" bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

I have one 6 yrs old now. Have cut about 30 truckloads (log truck) of DF logs with it, about 7 CDs of firewood each year plus mill about 2000 bf of lumber/ year with it. Just normal wear and tear, on bar#2 now, still running great!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

AdkStihl

372 is a good saw.
I like my 044 better........but the 372 is a good runner  ;)
J.Miller Photography

missouriboy

Thanks for the info i just ran one today love it. Going buy one ;D

Yoopersaw

I've only had mine since last summer, and as a homeowner user, I love it.  I have friends that cut for a living and they swear by them.  Great saw; but, so is the Johnny 2171/2172.  You won't regret either one.

HolmenTree

I have a 372 which I've running since new for about 4 yrs now. The only complaint is when heavy bucking the chips don't clear from the sprocket cover well enough and the chain jams up solid in the bar rails and sprocket nose, and it takes a bit of rubbing the chain back and forth on the log to free the chain up. Does any one else have this problem?

I ran Stihl for 28 [Jonsered 6 yrs before that] and only switched to Husky 4 yrs ago. I missed out on the 272XP when they were out in the early 1990s but I found a brand new one last year that was never used. Comparing it to my 372XP which has a inboard clutch [272 has outboard clutch] the 272Xp doesn't plug up the b/c like the 372 does. I credit that to the outboard clutch on the 272 helping clear the sprocket cover better.

Btw the older 272XP is a better balanced saw. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Dixie Feller

I have two,well actually one is a 371xp,but I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Husqvarna 371xp,372xp,288xp(ported and  muf mod)338xpt,51,350,Jonsered 2065,2165.Homelite 330(Dad's old paper wood saw)Stihl HT100,HT101.John Deere 5310 4x4 w/ FEL,Deere 4025 4x4 w/ FEL,Ford 2810 w/FEL.Woodmizer LT-40.'03 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax,'93 chevy 2500 4x4 and several trailer

Cut4fun

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 07, 2012, 12:09:04 AM
372 The only complaint is when heavy bucking the chips don't clear from the sprocket cover well enough and the chain jams up solid in the bar rails and sprocket nose, and it takes a bit of rubbing the chain back and forth on the log to free the chain up. Does any one else have this problem?

Just throwing this out there for you. There was a standard and wide cover option for those saws. I researched and learned about the wide cover when wanting more chip clearance for a 5ci 372 racesaw.

Al_Smith

I'm going to have to say that just about every one of those saws I've ever seen was a good runner  stock or modified .

In say the 5 cube class of racing these things are shy about a half a cubic inch in displacement which doesn't seem to make the much difference because they can still run with the best of them .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Cut4fun on June 07, 2012, 09:24:35 AM
372 The only complaint is when heavy bucking the chips don't clear from the sprocket cover well enough and the chain jams up solid in the bar rails and sprocket nose, and it takes a bit of rubbing the chain back and forth on the log to free the chain up. Does any one else have this problem?

Just throwing this out there for you. There was a standard and wide cover option for those saws. I researched and learned about the wide cover when wanting more chip clearance for a 5ci 372 racesaw.
Thanks Kevin I'll look into ordering one.

Cut4fun

I posted comparison pics and part number for you.  ;)

Kemper

We only use 395xp for cutting, but when I was topping I used a 372 & loved it. Probably my favorite saw, it seemed perfectly balanced for that type of work. I would buy another if I came across one at the right price.

Clam77

I have a 372 which I've running since new for about 4 yrs now. The only complaint is when heavy bucking the chips don't clear from the sprocket cover well enough and the chain jams up solid in the bar rails and sprocket nose, and it takes a bit of rubbing the chain back and forth on the log to free the chain up. Does any one else have this problem?

Kind of sounds like your bar's getting too hot and pinching the chain once it starts to expand... then frees up once it cools a little from you having to mess with it.   :D   Maybe get a new bar and try it out..? 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

HolmenTree

Quote from: Clam77 on June 08, 2012, 09:02:26 PM

Kind of sounds like your bar's getting too hot and pinching the chain once it starts to expand... then frees up once it cools a little from you having to mess with it.   :D   Maybe get a new bar and try it out..?
No it's definately compacted wood fibre jammed up in the bar rail groove and bar nose. My b/c is .058 which offers even better clearance then the .050
My bar is in top shape. Tried several bars in 20" 22" 24" all the same.

As I have proven my 395XP 346XP and 272XP with their outboard clutches can "noodle split " a round and not plug up the sprocket cover as bad as my 372 inboard does.

Thank You Sponsors!