iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about Woodmizer mills

Started by Kansas, April 29, 2012, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Our LT 40 Super went down the road Saturday. New home. I shouldn't have sold it. We were running it full out the last several weeks along the 70 and the other mill. I have to replace it. The business partner prefers an all electric mill. My question is, do they make the 40 super or the 50 as an all electric mill? Woodmizers site doesn't seem to indicate whether they do or not. I also cannot find the prices on the mills if we go new. Not sure if I am failing to look at the proper place. We are really behind the 8 ball on this one. I have to try and do something fast, and been looking hard. I know I can ask them tomorrow, but, time is of the essence. Have some tough decisions to make tomorrow and want to get a jump on what my options are.

Kansas

Never mind. It appears only the 70 comes in all electric, and finally got the price thing on the website figured out. One question though. Does anyone use the wireless, and do you like it?

Dan_Shade

What does "all electric" mean?

I see a 25HP electric motor option for a super when I look at the woodmizer site
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

What do you mean "all electric"? All AC? That is up / down motors, debarker, etc.

I was told yesterday that WM is offering a wide head on the LT70 electric with 30hp motor. Stationary only.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kansas

You have no battery or DC motors, near as I can tell. They are all AC motors. At least that is my understanding. Never heard about the wide head one. I did notice that they are using a different motor now for 460 v rather than the 230 v, or at least it looks different. On both the 70 and 40 we had, we could change that on the old motor, from one to the other. I can't imagine going back to the 230. Looking down the road if we went to sell it, if it would matter.

Bibbyman

Probably need to get on the phone with Sparks to get a qualified, direct answer.

Unless they've changed things, the LT40 and 50 will be all DC powered by battery with alternator - except main motor.

WM tends to treat their LT40 and LT70 stationary electric mills like red headed stepchildren. They neglect putting out any information and they tend to be designed like portable mills without an axle.
Sawing since '94

Nomad

Kansas, I've got the wireless remote on my LT50.  Haven't had the nerve to use it much yet; this mill is still "new to me" and I wanted to get used to the mill first.  I've used it for maybe 6 hours so far.  First impression is that I LOVE IT!!! 
     I'm strictly portable so I don't know about any differences in being stationary, especially with electric motor.
     The only drawbacks I see so far is that it can't control the Accuset and (of course) doesn't work for the hydraulics.  But I'm becoming quite fond of it very quickly!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

MartyParsons

Hello,
WM mills available with Electric are LT15 10 hp single phase or three phase. LT40 Super, LT50 Super, LT70 and all of the AWMV line. All of these 25 hp motors are available in high 460v 480v or low voltage 208v all three phase. The LT70 DCS has all AC motors on functions debarker, forward feed and up and down.
The Super mills will be on sale Tuesday May 1st. There are also some discounts on the LT70. There is a wide version of the LT70HDE30 and it has a 30 hp electric motor vs the 25 hp motor. The blade length on the Wide head goes to 196".  If you are not needing to be portable and you have 3 phase power available it is less expensive and more efficient to operate a electric sawmill.
Hope this helps!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on April 29, 2012, 07:33:52 PM
      I've got the wireless remote on my LT50.

I could see me with a mill remote  :o I can't find my TV remote half the time.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 29, 2012, 10:59:08 PM
Quote from: nomad on April 29, 2012, 07:33:52 PM
      I've got the wireless remote on my LT50.

I could see me with a mill remote  :o I can't find my TV remote half the time.  >:(

What you do is find a handy place on the mill to screw it down to.
Sawing since '94

Nomad

David, it's a bit bigger than a TV remote.  I hang it off my shoulder so far.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to carry it.
     Bibby, your remote is hanging on the side of your CBN sharpener isn't it? ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kansas

Ugh. 6-8 weeks out on a new sawmill. Punt. Back to square one.

Bibbyman

Any used mills that could be put in action quickly?
Sawing since '94

Kansas

No used LT 70's electric I can find. But... thinking about a different course of action. Been looking at all options. Thinking hard about reconfiguring the LT70 to make it more efficient. Arky swears we are way underutilizing, and I think he is right. Also looking at upgrading the weak points on our "other mill" by adding a single plane clamp from Woodmizer and redoing the log turner which was poorly designed. Adding another pop up saw, being that seems to be a real bottleneck. That entire option would be a lot cheaper in the short run, and be more efficient for what we have. I might consider down the road replacing the 70 with a LT300. Seems like there are more of those used out there.

And then there is the nuclear option. Been avoiding that one. Getting another mill clear out of the area that is a circular mill ready to go in good cottonwood country. Cut cants and ship em in for the resaw and LT 70.

ronwood

Kansas,

Could you add a resaw to ease the load on the 2 bandsaws?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kansas

We have one, a single head resaw. They were taking cants we have been getting from other mills and running today.

Bibbyman

Bet WM has a WM3000 or WM3500 setting in their demo building in Indy. With a little pressure, I bet something could be worked out.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Quote from: Kansas on April 30, 2012, 02:18:34 PM
Thinking hard about reconfiguring the LT70 to make it more efficient. Arky swears we are way underutilizing, and I think he is right.

Sounds like the best option to me.  Get it tweaked and look at the situation than.  If you still need a faster mill you may be able to reuse most items.

Haven't seen your new place but assume you have live log deck, drag back, conveyors and transfers for smooth product flow.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

Sounds like you need to take a hour or two and watch the mill run. Just sit there and see where the bottle necks are. Once you locate them figure out how to get rid of them. You will be surprised at the number of little things you can find that will speed up your operation.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Maybe instead of a new mill to meet volume needs, you could look at the orders you have and see if it'd be better off letting go of those that make the least profit.
Sawing since '94

Brucer

That seems pretty logical, Gary -- but it's been the downfall of many a business.

What you need to look at is how much money per hour each product generates through your bottleneck. Hundreds of low-profit items per hour may earn you more money than tens of high-profit items. You also have to consider what your market demand is for each product.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!