iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a mill.

Started by missouriboy, April 29, 2012, 04:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouriboy

Im looking to buy a mill. just wondering who for some ideas on what to get and what kind of markets are in missouri
???

paul case

Welcome to the FF.
I guess we need a little more info from you. Missouri is a big place and what kind of wood do you have?
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ianab

Welcome

Tell us a bit more about what you intend to do, support equipment, type of logs, budget etc?

You can buy portable sawmills that cost only $3,000, they work fine, but you wont make a living off them, and they wont cut "big" logs. Great for hobby or personal use though.

A bigger (and more expensive) hydraulic mill can cut enough wood to make a living with, as long as you have the logs, support equipment and markets. Those are bigger considerations than what actual mill to buy.

Then there is 2nd hand options and swingblade mills to consider....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

missouriboy

Im form the north west part of Missouri about an hour and half from Kansas City. I would easily be able to get red oak and pin oak. We have a a lot different species here. I would try to start out Milling pallet lumber or pallet stock Just to get started. What would be the best money making markets to get into.

den

Aren't you in EZ BOARDWALK country, a sponsor on the left of this page.
He only sells manual mills tho.
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Larry

I moved from that area a few years ago...a bit south of St Joseph.  The pallet business is a good way to go broke, even in boom times up there.  Couple guys got paid for high production machinery and flat spit out the boards.

Couple of us did custom sawing but not much demand.  Very little competition for that same reason.

Only advise I can give is research your markets before you leap.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

5quarter

firewood is a good market in Missouri.  ;D

Seriously, If you have 10+ acres of woods on your place, go in and cull all the low value timber for firewood and other non-lumber uses. you could probably use the proceeds to pay cash for a decent mill and you would not have to worry much about markets...and your woodlot would be much improved.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

dboyt

I second the notion that pallets will run you broke.  How many hours a week do you plan to be cutting?  Do you have a regular day job?  You can do a little better with railroad ties (around $21 for a 9"x7" tie, but you need to sell them by the semi trailer load). I've also done barn siding and trailer flooring. Might check for woodworking clubs in K.C.  If you can get the wood kiln dry, you'll double its value, and might be able to sell to custom woodworkers and cabinet makers.  To see my sawmill preference, check the Norwood site (also one of the sponsers).
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, missouriboy. 

Sadly, there is an old saying that if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.  Same with sawmilling.  Producing a product does not sell a product, so marketing it is key to any business venture.

You will need to develop a niche market and provide a service/product that is needed and hopefully has little competition.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!