iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

QUARTER SAWING

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 28, 2012, 09:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Loaded a big 33 inch Red Oak on the mill today, 8 foot long and got some really nice 1/4 sawn lumber out of it.

These boards were 23 inches wide.

I was able to get 7 full size 23 inch quarter sawn boards without any pith in it.

I was able to get 4 quarter sawn board 14 inches wide, 8 boards 6 inches wide and 13 boards 4 1/2 inches wide. Had a slew of different width plain sawn boards,Oh yeh, and some nice firewood sticks.
Got the Dang blade hung up 1 time, took about 5 minutes to cut it out but other than that I had a try productive day.

I used the quarter sawing method EARL from Woodmizer showed us at the owners get together. His way sure saves time and puts more $ CHA CHING $ in your pocket.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

Very nice boards, David. smiley_thumbsup  Has that q'sawing method been discussed on the forum before?

What blade were you using on the little red oak?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on April 28, 2012, 09:49:37 PM
Very nice boards, David. smiley_thumbsup  Has that q'sawing method been discussed on the forum before?

What blade were you using on the little red oak?

I don't know if it's been discussed or not. However the way Earl showed me, you do not saw the whole log into 4 quarters.

I used a brand new 10 degree WM blade and cranked it down to 3000 psi to pull it through the 23 inch boards.
I could have went faster with a 4 degree but the 10 degree made the boards smooth as silk....ya just have to slow your speed down a little from what you're used to.

samandothers

Nice looking boards!   I was at the WM Open house today.  Wally and Joe were talking about Earl's demo.  Sounds like it was good.   I have to practice something once I hear it to ensure it sticks!  Looks like you must have been paying attention.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: samandothers on April 28, 2012, 10:19:34 PM
Looks like you must have been paying attention.

say_what     HEY EARL.....COULD YOU REPEAT THAT? Quarter what?  :D :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

YellowHammer

Can you gives a description of Earl's quarter sawing technique? I don't do much quarter sawing because I'm too slow at it, if there is a faster way, I'm interested. ???
Thanks,
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ladylake

Nice pics David, that's the way I've been quartersawing ever since I started. Your pics explain it well , take a slab off the top then some QS through the middle then put both slabs back on on edge and QS them.   Sometimes if the pith is nasty I'll take both the bottom and top slabs off then cut the pith (blocking) out of the center before QS the center.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Forgot to mention this is the fastest, best way to QS. It take around 5 extra minutes to saw a log.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on April 29, 2012, 07:02:35 AM
Nice pics David, that's the way I've been quartersawing ever since I started. Your pics explain it well , take a slab off the top then some QS through the middle then put both slabs back on on edge and QS them.   Sometimes if the pith is nasty I'll take both the bottom and top slabs off then cut the pith (blocking) out of the center before QS the center.   Steve

Yep....this is it Steve. I used to saw the log in 4 pieces. No more. The way I did it this time saves a bunch of time, especially if you don'y have a off bearer,

snowshoveler

You know I looked at your pictures yesterday. And all I think about other than nice looking boards...
Is that stuff looks HEAVY. My arms and back hurt just looking at it.
I hope your customers can appreciate how much work goes into sawing a monster like that.
Last time I cut up a good sized oak, I just slid the boards off the other side of the mill and left them in the sawdust until help arrived.
Nice looking job you did.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

pnyberg

Scott Banbury of Midtown Logging and Lumber in TN did up some nice PDF's of quartersawing techniques.  I'd point you to his website, but unfortunately his website appears to be gone (http://www.scottbanbury.com).  I'll attempt to attach copies...

No longer milling

ladylake

Quote from: snowshoveler on April 29, 2012, 09:08:08 AM
You know I looked at your pictures yesterday. And all I think about other than nice looking boards...
Is that stuff looks HEAVY. My arms and back hurt just looking at it.
I hope your customers can appreciate how much work goes into sawing a monster like that.
Last time I cut up a good sized oak, I just slid the boards off the other side of the mill and left them in the sawdust until help arrived.
Nice looking job you did.
Regards Chris

Not bad at all on a hyd mill, just slide the top and bottom cants onto the loader arms and slide back on when ready to saw.   Steve

Jim_Rogers

I use method #1 for most logs over 20" in diameter.
For logs from 10" to 20" if the customer wants them quarter sawn, I just cut them in half and stand each half up and cut them. Some boards will have to be edged to remove the bark and the pith.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There are several methods.

It's all about the final product though, with as little waste as possible. I quarter saw mostly Sycamore for customers and QS my own Oak logs and sell the lumber.

I have found not to get caught up in one method. Some logs have the "perfect" circles while others have erratic circles.

The best method I have found is a good eye and a sharp blade. Don't let a method determine how you quarter saw but let the log determine your next cut. Sometimes it will take a little longer but your time will be well taken care of with $$$$.

I don't like sawing a log in half on the get go. I saw the wide boards out of the middle first then you don't have such a large, heavy slab on top to slide off on the HD lift arms.

I am now really wanting to try the method to get the FLAME SLABS out of a log where you jack up one side of the log in the air. You can get some really nice flame lumber out of a log.....not very stable wood but looks good in door panels etc.

ladylake

I'll be doing some QS soon useing the method above, just got in 2 white oak logs 34"  x 10' scaling 550+ bf each.  I'll use my brothers TK2000, they will go right through that one.  I'd be chainsawing some to get them through my B20. My skid loader will barely lift them but they should wiegh over 5000#  Steve

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on April 29, 2012, 08:38:08 PM
  I'll be doing some QS soon useing the method above, just got in 2 white oak logs 34"  x 10' scaling 550+ bf each.  I'll use my brothers TK2000, they will go right through that one.  I'd be chainsawing some to get them through my B20. My skid loader will barely lift them but they should wiegh over 500#  Steve

My log was 8 foot.....so you do have a MONSTER. Be sure to take some pictures Steve.  :)

LOGDOG

I got a call from a local guy Friday wanting me to come saw two white oak logs that are 8 feet long and 36/36 and 1/2" on the small ends. He wants them quartersawed. I'll probably end up using method 2 or 3. I need to get my eyes on them and see how much emphasis he wants to put on true quartersawn. I told him I'd charge $75.00 an hour and we can go as slow as he wants.  :)

ladylake

I tried method 2 once, never again as there's way to much waste plus I like the rift sawn left over from sawing method 1.   Pics might be hard for me as I'm a 1 finger typer and my phone cam doesn't like to get on the computer.  Steve

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on April 29, 2012, 10:12:45 PM
    Pics might be hard for me as I'm a 1 finger typer and my phone cam doesn't like to get on the computer. 

:) :) :) I know what ya mean. :) :) :)

Slingshot

Here is a U-tube video showing a method similar to Poston's except they
quarter it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01vkDEMoyY&feature=relmfu

tyb525

Those are some wide growth rings!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LOGDOG

The fella in that video is from WI ...goes by Birky. He's got one of the prettiest quartersawn floors in his house you ever want to see. You can go to his website and check it out.

tyb525

Whos hand and foot is that in the first picture?!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

snowshoveler

Oh my gosh...
David is there something you should tell us.
Yikes
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: snowshoveler on May 05, 2012, 08:26:44 PM
Oh my gosh...
David is there something you should tell us.
Yikes
The hand and foot was from a non-paying customer!  :D

Magicman

I had heard that you were charging an arm and a leg for your sawing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2012, 10:10:48 PM
I had heard that you were charging an arm and a leg for your sawing.   ;D

That's right MM. I charge by the FOOT and every customer has a HAND in it!  :D

smiley_thumbsup

Ga Mtn Man

You guys are a riot!  :D :D :D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!