iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crawfish Again

Started by Magicman, April 28, 2012, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, today was the day and crawfish was the guest of honor.  And did I ever eat too many  ???

Crawfish, corn, potatoes, sausage, & mushrooms.  I ate two trays.   smiley_dizzy food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I think two would have just got me started. Sure wish I had some.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never eaten a Crawfish....but looking at MM, it must be good!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LOGDOG

Those look like pretty crawfish Magicman. They're finally coming down in price over here. About $3.49 a pound boiled. My wife and I ate about 10 lbs of crawfish the other night with corn and potatoes. They were awesome. I may get some tomorrow night for dinner. You got me craving them again.

Magicman

And then we went to a wild game supper tonight and I had Crawfish Etouffee.  I'll be growing pinchers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Or walking backwards..... :D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

I'm already doing that, at least I'm backing up.   ;D

okmulch

I actually get to enjoy crawfish étouffée and gumbo all the way up here in Oklahoma. I have met some new friends that used to live in louisiana, and man they can cook up some good stuff. Every now and then they bring back sacks full of crawfish and have a big boil here.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

ellmoe

Quote from: Buck on April 28, 2012, 10:47:04 PM
Or walking backwards..... :D

That makes it a good food for portable mill owners. ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Norm

I'll take two sacks of live ones overnighted to my place MM!

Magicman

Sorry Norm.   ;D

I was able to bring home 2-3 gallons and have them in the frig.  I'll peel them this afternoon to be frozen for gumbo or etouffee later.

thurlow

Maybe you're a little North of Cajun country, but still...............maybe you could explain how one eats a crawfish?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

I twist the tail off and then use my fingernail to remove the first shell section on the tail.  Then while giving the tip of the tail a squeeze, pluck the meat out with either your fingers or teeth.  Personally, I use my fingers and then remove the vein.  Some folks don't remove it.  They will then use a finger to remove what is inside of the body and suck that down.

Thus the phrase: Pinch the tails and suck the heads.  I guess that would work with crawfish too.   :D :D

LOGDOG

I pinch the tail between my thumb and forefinger until I feel it snap down the center. Twist the tail and pull. Then flip the first ring of the tail (on the fat end which is now cracked in the top center of the shell). Then pull the tail out with fingers on my left hand while I pinch the base of the tail with fingers on my right hand. Then I peel the veinoff the back and flick it into the scrap pile. (I'm not much on the mustard in the tail.I've eaten it but I've got better things to eat in this world if you know what I mean.)  ;) I don't suck the heads either. Tried that too just to say I've done it but man you get a dose of that crawfish boil down your craw and it can make you go to coughin if you're not ready.

thurlow

I 'throw' a (small) shrimp and/or crawfish boil 3 or 4 times a year;  at least once each for the family, church and poker group.  The pics are from a shrimp boil a couple of months ago at our little country church.

LOGDOG

Looks good thurlow. I can't decide if I like shrimp or crawfish better. I suppose it depends on how well either one are cooked and the size of each. I love 'em both.

Magicman

Here is a picture of last year's event showing the crawfish "eating tables".  The crawfish and fixings are poured out on the table which has a "garbage" hole on each end for the heads and shells.

OK, not the table, but she does look happy.

Here is the table.

Another view.   

tyb525

I'd never ate crawfish before, but today it sounded good. So my girlfriend Grace and I went down to the creek and then the river lookin for some. I was also not experienced in catching the things, but she was! 8)

I didnt get any crawfish, she saw several but only caught two. The dog kept scaring them off. I found a few mussels and a frog, was gonna cook them up also but decided the frog was too much work for some skinny legs, and it's not a very good idea to eat mussels from a somewhat polluted river, they tend to suck up the pollutants.

So we had a crawfish boil consisting of two crawfish :'( :D

Sometime in the future I will get ahold of a significant amount of crawfish, the two I had were good!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Ty,

It is a start down a slippery slope  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thurlow

Quote from: tyb525 on April 30, 2012, 12:15:47 AM
I'd never ate crawfish before, but today it sounded good. So my girlfriend Grace and I went down to the creek and then the river lookin for some. I was also not experienced in catching the things, but she was! 8)

I didnt get any crawfish, she saw several but only caught two. The dog kept scaring them off. I found a few mussels and a frog, was gonna cook them up also but decided the frog was too much work for some skinny legs, and it's not a very good idea to eat mussels from a somewhat polluted river, they tend to suck up the pollutants.

So we had a crawfish boil consisting of two crawfish :'( :D

Sometime in the future I will get ahold of a significant amount of crawfish, the two I had were good!

Might not be what you want to do, but you can probably find frozen crawfish in your local grocery store........in 10# bags.

metalspinner

Magicman,
You're killin' me.  I am now officially in withdrawls. :'(

My sister called me yesterday and bragged that they were boiling crawfish.  They will be coming up over Memorial Day weekend and hopefully bringing some with them. 8)

I don't know how I peel them...  never had to describe it before.  But I can have the next one peeled before the previous one is swallowed. ;D  And whatever might be attached or dangling from the meat - no matter what the color - just makes it taste all the better. Usually, I end up peeling for the boys for the couple of times a year we get to eat em.  And, like you, MM, I over stuff myself. :D

Oh, how many of those 2-3 gallons of leftovers made it into the freezer? Cold ones are as good as hot ones. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Quote from: WDH on April 30, 2012, 08:31:12 AM
Ty,

It is a start down a slippery slope  :D.

And I was not talking about crawfish  :-*.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

Well most likely the low country of Louisiana has more cray fish than would this area of Ohio but never fear a few of us northerners partake .

You just steam them like shrimp with a liberal sprinkling of Old Bay sea food seasoning and have at it .Craw daddys though are not to be confused with grits .We save those for our southern brotheren who enjoy them better than most of us . ;)

Chris Burchfield

Da price should be gettin about right down dere dees days.  I'm jeliouse and in need of a mudbug fix!
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Thank You Sponsors!