iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reports From The States

Started by Ron Scott, December 18, 2001, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychotic1

Elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, sitka black tail deer, black and brown bears, more fish that you can kill.  Deer season from August first through the end of the year- "take four, They're small".  
In order to get the elk, moose etc, I'd have to drive (ferry) up to fairbanks and hire a float-plane to fly me in to the hunting area.  Expensive.  But if you get a couple of guys together, it ain't too bad.
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Bud Man

While driving about 60 miles East of Memphis (1999) my attention was drawn to some critters in a field.    I pulled over to glass the field and discovered 3 Rhinos and about 20 Elk type critters of the 500 lb. type (species unknown).    Thought about harvesting the lead Rhino but realized my vehicle wasn't big enough to get him in the back, and that he probably would crush the hood or roof.  Next time I go that way I will pull trailer with big winch.   Wonder how much a Rhino tag goes for. :D :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

psychotic1

I'm not worthy

I just can't even imagine seeing that in a field.  And I DanG sure don't want to have to hang it and skin it out.

CHARLIE

Here in Southeastern Minnesota there are several ranches that raise buffalo and one that I know of that has a huge herd of elk.  Up in the iron range area and on up to Canada there are quite a few moose.  A few years back, my cousin and I were cross country skiing, came around a bend and there was a moose. :o  He lumbered away from us and went into the woods and MAN was I glad. I've heard about moose getting all ticked off over nothing and going into an attack phase.  There was one moose in Northern Minnesota that attacked a moving train one time. Notice I used the word 'was'. I think the moose lost that battle.   ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don P

I remember a story from India involving an elephant and a train,  she T-boned the engine, the train lost :D

Bud Man

That elephant and the train duel is what claimed the life of P.T. Barnum's famous 15 ton  elephant "Jumbo", didn't say what effect it had on the train, but bet it took a while to clean up !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

L. Wakefield

(3 giant steps ot)- saw a show last nite where 2 young lions were trying to get to maturity. They'd made their first kill near a waterhole- took down a water buffalo or something- I missed the first part of the show. There was some VERY interesting footage of both elephants and rhinos at the same waterhole registering their displeasure at the lions' actions- and blocking their access to the kill. It reminded me of my herd's actions this winter when I was traversing the pasture with the remains of my butchering of the herd bull. They'd gotten very agitated and were trying to block my way. It was so weird.. but it is interesting that, if big enough, even herbivores will have a take-charge attitude about what goes on in carnivore behavior. Size matters!   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Lw -  Almost all animals of any species have a reaction to the smell of blood or  distress call from one of their own.  Heard of some strange reactions within cows in the close proximity of a butchering occuring within their midst.  Not big on giving advise but even tame cows get testy and can become unruly or dangerous real quick(especially bulls). They will re-establish a pecking order almost immediately.  Be Carefull !!!

Ron Scott

Michigan

The Sierra Club is urging Michigan's U.S. senators to require increased use of wind and solar power.

In ads running this week-end, the Sierra Club asks senators to support a bill that would require 20 percent of the nation's energy to come from renewable resources by 2020.

The Sierra Club is spending several thousand dollars on the ads, which are running in Michigan, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Florida.
~Ron

psychotic1

That's great..  As long as the Sierra Club is gonna help pay the tax rebates required to get people to set up the equipment.  Renewable energy is great (and I do include wood heat, though I doubt the SC does)  But it's still quite expensive.  There are several states which are offering rebates and incentives of up to 50% of the initial costs, but you're still looking at 8-10,000 bucks for a integral roof/solar panel setup pulling in 2KW on sunny days.  If they'll help pay for it, or if they'll use it in their own homes first, I'm all for it.

I get upset every time wind power is mentioned up here.  One of the windier places in the country, and the city/borough have outlawed windmills.  GRRRR >:(

Bruce

Corley5

I haven't been keeping up on this thread til tonight.  Elk what a pain in the a$$.  Much of the work I do as a MDNR Wildlife Div. employee is directly related to them so they do pay the bills but...  I also farm a little and we've got a herd of bulls here west of Wolverine that is really hard on crops.  Especially corn.  If it wasn't for the fact that I work for the DNR I'm pretty sure I would have started killing them years ago.  I can sympathize with the farmer in Pa.  Last year I only had four of them but in previous years there have been as many as 14.  A ten acre corn patch doesn't stand much of a chance.  There is an early season aimed at killing these beasts that have strayed from the core area that is the Pigeon River State Forest but these early hunts are tough and many of the hunters are VERY inexperienced.  Added to that my bulls split from this area like clockwork.  As soon as the rut starts the first week in Sept they are gone in search of cows and the season doesn't start til the second week >:(.  I did get one of them killed in the Dec hunt.  He was an 825 7X8.  I'm sure he tasted good as he ate on my corn most of the summer and fall.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Frank_Pender

The darn things keep pushing over my 12' Cottonwood Whips.  I have had to replant 3 years in a row.  >:( I put 5' high corrigated plastic raps around them to keep them from getting horned to death by the deer but the Elk are a different story. :'(  Out of about 300 planted each year, I am able to possibly save two or three.  At that rate I will have to replant for about the next thirty years.   Heck, I'll be 77 and still trying to get the darn things to grow, without the critters doing the early thinning and selective logging for me. :-[
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

Yay! The map is growing, and quite useful! I was just reading Corley5's post about elk as PIA. So I jumped over and found him (Corley5 ) on the map and said to myself 'elk hunt, hmm, elk hunt'... makes one to wonder. What are the terms on that? Is it residents only? I'd only thought of elk hunts in terms of Montana and etc.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

It's a residents only hunt.  Licenses are given on a lottery system.  You apply for one by paying a four dollar fee.  If you're name is drawn your license will be either antlerless only or hunter choice.  That is after you pay another $100.00 and attend the mandatory orientation.  The DNR tries to keep the herd around 1,000 animals.  Usually there are 200-300 permits issued per year.  These permits are spread over two or three hunts.  There is a hunt in mid to late Sept and the big hunt in Dec.  The last two years there has also been a late Aug. hunt.  Two years we also a Jan. hunt to clean up some of the animals that were straying into farm country but we didn't have one last year.  I'm not sure if the Aug. hunts are going to continue either.  

Ron Scott

Corley,
Do you do any guiding for the elk hunters? Allow them to hunt on your property?
~Ron

Corley5

I don't do any guiding but considering I spend most every day in elk country I can give some pretty hot tips 8).  The last couple years I've let a hunter on the property for the Aug. and Sept. hunts.  They haven't done any good.  In Sept. my herd is off chasing cows somewhere and my selection of a hunter for Aug. wasn't as good as I thought :(.  The December hunt usually runs pretty close to the muzzleloader deer season and having someone chasing elk on the place screws up Dad's deer hunting so Dec. if off limits.  It was during last years Dec. hunt that the big one was shot just a little west of us 8).  Frank, you speak of elk tearing up your cottonwood whips.  In the Pigeon River State Forest the state foresters have been complaining that they haven't been able to get good aspen regen in some areas because of elk browsing.  I've seen this.  Clearcuts end up as grassy openings because of it.

Ron Scott

I've seen them walk 4-6" aspen right down to ground level there in the Pidgeon River State Forest. A little tough on the regen.
~Ron

Ron Scott

North Carolina

In an unusual move, the North Carolina Forestry Association (NCFA) recently adopted a resolution against financial support of organizations opposed to active forest management.

Noting that american companies are increasingly looking for opportunitiies to demonstrate their concern for the environment by funding non-ptofit organizations, NCFA cautions corporations to look carefully at how their dollars are being spent and the impact on those practicing sound forest management.
~Ron

woodman

Glad we don't have jobiwackeys here in Mass. But we do have birds that live on sandy beaches on Cape Cod (can't get that all over tan) :) :) :) :D 8) 8) 8)
Jim Cripanuk

Ron Scott

Michigan

The Michigan Forest Association (MFA) has taken a strong stand opposing the Sierra Club's lawsuit against the U.S. Forest Service's management of aspen forests.The suite is attempting to block aspen timber sales on National Forests in the Lake States, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Michigan

Results of the most recent Wolf Survey conducted by the Michigan DNR indicates there are at least 278 wolves now roaming Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Wisconsin

Wisconsin DNR Secretary Darrell Bazzell announced that the department would begin issuing special deer harvest permits during the week of May 6 to landowners to reduce the deer herd within a core area where Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been documented in western Dane and eastern Iowa Counties.
~Ron

Corley5

I hope that s*#t never shows up over here.  Our TB problem sounds mild compared to it

Jeff

CWD, never heard of it. Do you have information on this Ron or Corley5? Might be good to post it in a new thread if you do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Jeff,

I don't know much about it, except that it is "bad" stuff. It affects a deer or elks brain and their physical nourishment. I'm told that the Wisconsin DNR web site has information on it. It should be in the Forum links. I'm sure we'll hear more on this.

Wisconsin's Governor is currently seeking Federal aid to fight the disease. He states that "we are facing the most serious animal health crisis in our history". As Corley5 said, our TB problem here will be insignificant to this and he may know a lot more about it.

It may be time for the MDNR Commission to take a serious stand on the deer baiting issue.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!