iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade setting Using a new Cooks dual Tooth Setter

Started by vfauto, April 28, 2012, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

???I purchased a Cooks sharpener and dual tooth setter. My question is why do I have such a hard time being consistent with the setter. After I spend a lot of time setting it up when I go threw the motions and watch the gages they seem to be all over the place. Is there any good videos or info out ther that may be helpfull? The instructions that came with it are very basic.

Thanks
Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

hackberry jake

I have a pineywoods setter, and most of the time I just adjust it by eye. set isnt a perfect science. If you go through with a dial indicator and set each one excact, the lumber will just be a hair smoother than "by eye". Set isn't an exact science, I just try to keep the same amount on each side, and I stay on the heavy side.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

woodmills1

setting   s   u  *&^%$   but must be done
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

hamish

Check you blade set beore putting it on the setter to see where you stand ahead o time.  does your dial indicator go wonky on your straight set tooth?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

bandmiller2

Frank,the best thing would be to call Tim Cook and ask,I've never used a Cooks dual setter.I have a dual tooth setter of my own manufacture I purposly left off the dial indicators they will drive you stark raving mad in short order.The problem is the spring steel the bands are made of, you have to overset them then they spring back to hopefully where they should be.I have a seperate tool with a dial indicator, I made, to check set and adjust my setter.Once set I run the band through fat,dumb and happy.Like a shotgun close is good enough,give or take two or three thou is no big deal,they seem to average out. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

1938farmall

i have the suffolk dual setter and they specify that the blade height be adjusted so that the tip of the tooth is .160" over the top of the vise.  i find this to be important to get consistent results. al
aka oldnorskie

terrifictimbersllc

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42691.new.html#new

See my post today and Bibbyman's comments.  Grind the teeth square across no matter what.  It makes a difference in setting reproducibility at least with the WM dual tooth setter.  Not sure about yours.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!