iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs

Started by Tree Feller, April 28, 2012, 08:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I'm thinking of buying some ERC logs to saw into B&B siding for  own use. When scaling logs, do you physically measure the small end of each one, estimate the diameter or accept the logger's estimate?

I've never bought logs before so any info on the process is appreciated.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Cedarman

We measure cedar by weight or by scaling using the ERC scale.  It doesn't take long to scale a bunch of logs.  Common practice is to measure with tape end on out side bark measuring to inside bark along the narrow way. We make allowance for oval and mishapen logs.  If logs show rot at either end we pay a heavily discounted price, usually 17 1/2 cents per foot on the cedar scale.
I have made a practice of marking the diameter on the log.  If there are questions, you can show what you measured and why you called it.  We are rarely questioned, but when we show how we measured. There is usally some give and take with cedar as the logs are irregular.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bama20a

Hey Cedarman: Can you explain the ERC scale,I'm new to all this & Like TF,I've never bought any Cedar.
Where to you find the scale.Mark,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Ron Wenrich

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41332.0.html

Here's what Cedarman wrote in that post from Jan, 2010:

For 8' lengths the cedar scale used in most of central US is:
4"   4'
5"   7'
6"   11'
7"   14 or 15' depending on who made the scale
8"   19'
9"    24'
10"  30'
11"  36'
12"  43'
13"  50'
14"  58'
15"  67'
16"  76'
17" and up use Doyle scale
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bama20a

Thank you Ron for finding that,But for a big dummy like Me I don't have a clue how to read it :'(,Can you help explain it.Thanks Mark,,,,,

bama20a

Sorry Ron. I took another swallow of Coffee & now I can read it :D,Mark,,,,,,

Tree Feller

Thanks, Cedarman and Ron.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Ironwood

Took me a minute two and YES a gulp of coffee, it is 45 degrees and a little chilly.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shelbycharger400

:P

for future checkin .
never knew that their is that many scale formulas

Sawmiller1960

For the person wondering about cedar scale. If you do not have the scale written down this is the formula used to develop the scale.

Diameter squared x length divided by 27

Example: 12" x 16' log:  12x12=144x16=2304 divided by 27=85BF
               14" x 12' log:  14x14=196x12=2352 divided by 27= 87BF

Doyle scale on small logs is extremely in error and low. The two scales cross around 18" diameter.
We use cedar scale for ALL cedar logs. That is the only truly fair way to scale cedar. In reality the logger or land owner gain because most eastern red cedar is smaller than 18" diameter.

DanMc

Here's a spreadsheet put together using the formula from Sawmiller.  Hopefully it will be attached to this post....  I tried adding it as a photo, but the resolution wasn't good enough to read it.

Enjoy!
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

campwags

Thanks for the spreadsheet DanMc.  Saved it and will use it I am sure.   ;D
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Thank You Sponsors!