iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another sawmill field trip

Started by JohnM, April 27, 2012, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

Heading down to Waldo, outside of Belfast, tomorrow morning.  (Those of you 'from away' just read that as: Heading to a very very small town in Maine, just outside a small town.  ;) ) Going to Portable Saw Mill Demonstration https://prod.mkat.com/mknpo2/shared/mknporun?dir=swoam2.SW-25.SWMC-E896&Event=SWMC-E896&DisplayType=detail&page=mkeventlistfrm.jsp

Should be pretty interesting, for me at least, and it's a 'bit' of sawmill fix.  (I really need a mill or shrink...likely both ::) )  I'll 'report' on what it's like for anyone interested.  Is anyone interested? ???  Figured even if it's not my mill it's still all 'sawmillie' and stuff. ;D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

samandothers

Always interested in learning the tidbits others may pick up.

sprucebunny

That should be fun.
I've been to both those towns and belong to SWOAM.

Wonder what kind of mill he has ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JohnM

Quote from: sprucebunny on April 27, 2012, 09:52:44 PM
That should be fun.
I've been to both those towns and belong to SWOAM.

Wonder what kind of mill he has ???
I grew up in Waldo County (Winterport) but I not sure I've ever been to Waldo the town. :D  I need to join SWOAM seems like are really good resource.  Went to land owner/woodlot owner management class/talk in Ellsworth last month that they sponsored. It was really very good.

On the mill I'm guessing a Thomas considering how close they are to Brooks.  Second guess is a WM.  I'll try to get some pics of the operation.  Everyone likes pics right? ;D :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Sounds like a good day. I'd still building the veggie shack. Lost some time due to a cold I had. I always enjoy those get together. Hope it helps you out on your choice of a mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Nothing wrong with learning about other sawmills!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JohnM

Well, he juked me!  :o :D  A fully hydraulic Timber Harvester in a real nice shed.

This seems like a neat trick using a 2x4 to keep uniform pressure for edging.  Or is there another reason I don't know about? ???  Oh I guess it's to make sure the clamps grab something.

While it wasn't 'just' about portable sawmilling, the guy from SWOAM said they screwed up the description on the website (read: the mill wasn't really portable :D), it was a good day.  Lots of info on how to manage a woodlot.  Other than the foolishly cold temps/winds it was a great day.

JM

samandothers

May not be too long before he has to move some saw dust!

Magicman

I regularly use this.  My clamp will not tighten on less than 3"

It's painted red on each end so it will not "end" up in the scrap pile.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

Quote from: samandothers on April 29, 2012, 02:55:11 PM
May not be too long before he has to move some saw dust!
:D  Yeah asked him about that, Sam.  He has built the shed with studs on that side of the mill so he can't even back drag the dust out with his tractor.  So he fills 3 trash cans and puts them in the tractor bucket (he has home made wooden forks, I didn't think to snap a pic) and takes the dust out that way.  Seemed labor intensive to me but I'm sure there's no 'perfect' way to deal with it all.

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2012, 04:24:32 PM
It's painted red on each end so it will not "end" up in the scrap pile.

MM, I mean this in all seriousness (rarity for me! ;D), it seems I learn something from your posts more times than not.  That's a simple little thing, painting the ends but I bet handy and has saved that board more than once.  Not trying to brown nose or blow smoke just saying I appreciate your input on things and your positive attitude in general, so thank you!  All that being said I'm still not getting in the line for grits. ;)

JM

VT-Woodchuck

JohnM, speaking of small towns - my son lives in Thorndike and works at French & Webb Boatbuilders in Belfast. If you want to see good woodworking, stop in some time.

Thank You Sponsors!