iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone near Dothan Alabama?

Started by FeltzE, February 25, 2004, 05:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeltzE

I have one more weekend in Dothan Alabama, If there is anyone in the area who is sawmilling or running molders I'd love to stop by and even lend a hand!

I'm down here on govt business and quite frankly going through sawdust withdrawls.

Twitch twithc, itch

Eric

DanG

Hi Eric. I'm not all that far from Dothan. I think it's about 80 miles, or so. I'd love to have you drop by if that ain't too far for you. :)  Let me know if you're interested in coming down, and I'll tell ya how ta get here. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LSUNo1

Maybe you already know but the Cook Saw boys are in Dothan.

FeltzE

I've, been over to the Cooks Saw location and picked up some grinding stones for my sharpener already.

Dan I might just be close enough. Drop a line with directions. IT looks like I'll have sat thru mon to go visitin...

Eric

FeltzE

Ok it's friday  27 Feb, Looks like the only sociable sawyer is DanG, so drop a line if anyone else is near town.

:)

Eric

Tom

Wish I was.  I enjoy visiting.  But, DanG, This is a big state.
.....not that I'm trying to compete with Texas or Alaska but it's still a long way from side to side at the top, and from top to bottom anywhere.  :)

DanG

Eric and I have been swapping messages about this all week. Looks like he will be spending Sunday here. 8) 8)  He promises to wear his work shirt, so I guess I'll scratch up an extra pair of gloves and some peas. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

FeltzE

Well the worst thing that could happen is umm... well if Dan gave me bum directions and  I end up in the sawmp.

But I've been doing some lame work lately and definitely need to get out and get some sawdust in my sneakers.

Tom

How 'bout y'all having a cup of coffee for me :)

DanG

I didn't have much faith, myself, so I re-checked the directions I sent.  They'll get you here. :)

Sawdust, eh? We can take care of that!  Matter of fact, I just bought a brand new aluminum scoop. ;D

DanG

Well, I think I've made a new friend. :)  Eric and I had a great time visiting. He got here early and caught me in my housecoat :-[  but we sat and talked through a couple of cups of coffee, while the weather warmed a bit. (had one for you, Tom)   We toured my old buildings and he gave me some pointers about fixing some structural problems. As he is way ahead of me in the sawmilling business, he also had some good suggestions about utilizing my storage space better.

We got the Hootiemobile fired up, then fired up the sawmill and started playing.  I have been battling some "digestive unpleasantries" for several days, so I wasn't up to much of this sort of thing. :-/  We cut up a couple of logs, so he could get the feel of how everything works, and he took some pics of my mill in action.

Went into town for a Subway, and I could only nibble on mine. If this thing don't clear up soon, I'm gonna starve to death.  Afterwards, we swung up by Mr. Hootie's place to check out this big tub grinder with a Barko loader that he has sitting out front. Mr. H. happened to be in his office and saw us out there, so he came to the gate and let us in, even though he was closed. We took a brief look around and left. Mr H. was there to pick up his guard dogs and take them for a swim down at the creek. :)

We came back home and I looked at bunches of pics on Eric's laptop, of his operation, home and family. BOY do he got some nice stuff! 8)

It was a wonderful day, even if I was a bit off the pace. We found lots to talk about, so it took him a while to get away for his return trip. Every time he'd start to leave, one of us would think of something else that needed discussing. :D  He finally escaped about 4:30, and I went to Walmart to get dog food and some more chicken soup.  Fed the beasts, and crashed out in the recliner. I finally ate my soup about 11pm. :-/

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds about like the same tour ya gave Ed and I. Mr. Hooties place is a treasure trove and HAS to be a hit with visitors, kinda like a mechanical DisneyLand tour ;D ;D ;D :D

Glad y'all had a good visit. Visits are fun. 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

FeltzE

Well Dan and I had a good time, Dan thanks for the tour! I had never had the opportunity to see a Mobile Dimension in operation and even though Dan's machine dosn't sparkle withh 2004 paint she started without a wimper and dove into some tought dry knotty pine and sawed beautifully!

Dan I can't help but to quote ya on your self proclamed status as procrastinator and that you "never wait to procrastinate..."  

I'  ve attaached a pic of Dan and Me at the saw that is if I've got the upload right.

I'm sure that Dan can vouch for me as a overly opinonated pain in the butt now...

Thanks for the day Dan.

DanG

Hey, Eric!  Do ya think I oughta spiff up the mill with some of that second-hand paint I bought? ??? :D :D

Thanks again for brightening up what would have been a frustrating weekend. Maybe we shoulda waited till today, though, as I seem to be feeling much better. :) 8)

Just gotta argue one point; all the opinions you gave me seemed honest and thought out. Who could ask for more?  Your input was definitely appreciated here. :)

FeltzE

I Must note that Dan has reportedly bought a pallet of "Used Paint" at an auction once....

I still wonder if the paint was still on the walls or just brushed up flakes off the floor.

Thank You Sponsors!