iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kinda trees are these?

Started by bowman316, April 26, 2012, 11:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowman316

I found a tree seedlings growing in my back yard, and I was wondering what kind of tree it was.  I also have 2 full grown trees in my yard, and I broke off some twigs from them.  Those are the other 2 pictures. 
They have kinda light brownish bark.  And the spread out kinda like a dogwood, instead of going straight up.

WDH

Can't say about the seedling, but the pics of the tree twigs and leaves look like mulberry.  When they reach full size, we will know for sure.  My favorite mulberry tree will have ripe mulberries on it next week!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

It might help if we knew where your yard is located, so we can eliminate certain possibilities.

WDH, wouldn't mulberry leaves be larger? Or maybe these are just not done growing yet.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

No, not close to being done yet.  They just broke out of the bud.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Our red mulberry is almost through with fruit.  Warm winter.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I have less mulberries this year than normal.  Crazy climate.

Okrafarmer

He must be in a colder place than we are.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on April 26, 2012, 11:57:49 PM
I have less mulberries this year than normal.  Crazy climate.

I'll have to check at my boss's house. Too bad it's so hard to reach them all. I keep telling him we need a bucket truck....

The berries sure are yummy when they're ripe!

bowman316

I live near Baltimore, MD, in Parkville.  And those pics were taken a week ago. 
Those two twigs came off trees that were 25 ft tall maybe. 
They are mature trees.  At least 10-15 years old, prob more. 

IT seems like there are a ton of trees that have very similar looking leaves.  Those, not toothed, oval shaped leaves.  I mean maple, oak, gum, poplar, and locust are so easy to tell apart.  But not these other trees that seem to pop up everywhere.   

Okrafarmer

WDH

If it is not toothed, it is not mulberry.

RynSmith

Does the first picture show opposite branching?  I can't quite tell...

bowman316

When I get home Ill take a picture of the whole tree.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bowman316

I have a hunch that they are an invasive species.  They kinda seem to try and take over an area. 

WDH

You posted in another thread about sassafras.  That could be what you are holding as it does look like unlobed sassafras leaves. 

bowman316

These trees are down in Parkville, the saserfas trees are up at my parents house, 40 miles NE of Parkville.

WDH

You may have sassafras trees all around  :).

bowman316

These are the 2 trees that I broke those branches off of.
The first 2 are the same tree. 
The 3rd pic is a diff tree from the 4th pick, but they are 10 ft apart. 
The first tree now has there little green seed pods coming off of it.  it is a small ball, that kinda looks like the model of a molecule in chemistry class.

OneWithWood

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 27, 2012, 02:07:22 PM
I'm going with an exotic.

Does your wife know about this?  :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

dboyt

Try looking up black gum on the 'net and see if you've got a match. I believe they are native to your area.  Black gum leaves look a lot like dogwood.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

bowman316

This should be a dead give away.  What kinda tree has this kind of seed pods? 
They seem familar to me.

WDH

It is a white mulberry, Morus alba.  Those mulberries will be tasty when they get ripe in a few weeks.  Try them.  The birds like them too, and spread the seeds, that is why they are so prolific. 

This tree was imported from China several hundred years for the silk trade.  The silk worms fed on the mulberry leaves.  Since then, they have naturalized.  We have a native mulberry, red mulberry, Morus rubra, but the leaves are sand papery rough on the top surface and a little fuzzy.  Check out the top surface of the leaves to make sure that it is white mulberry.  If so, the leaves will be baby-bottom smooth.

Okrafarmer

I am beginning to see a pattern here. Anytime we cannot identify a tree, the result is, it is a mulberry.

SwampDonkey

Dad has 3 Siberian mulberry and two leaved out as they normally would and the 3rd is a whole month later before it broke bud to leave out. I'm thinking that hot spell in March fouled up a lot of non native trees. Easy to fool invaders. The natives "know" those freak spells in the weather can "do you in" if you think summer is here before it's time. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!